PDA

View Full Version : So how come no-one complains about Nadal's grunting?

Alexandros
01-26-2006, 03:40 PM
With all this fuss about Sharapova's grunting, I find it amazing that there haven't been any comments about Rafael Nadal's grunts. I'd say his grunting gets at least as loud as Sharapova's, and as annoying with the loud exhalation like he's just been stung by a wasp.

jings
01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
now you've started it ... stand by to repel boarders!

dmastous
01-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Many years ago people complained about Conner's grunting. I think he was among the first actually make a sound when striking the ball.
But the complaints about women's grunting, I believe, is more about the pitch than the sound. Sharapova's sound is a high pitched sound, and her scream 2 years ago was just that. A scream. It was unbearable.

pound cat
01-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Who cares? When he comes back to the tour it may be a topic...or not.

equinox
01-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Maria Sharapova grunting is shocking.

Seles was tame compared to Masha.

WTA needs to put a muzzle on her.

Her grunts are very distracting for her opponents concentration, but are not enough to be called a hinderence.

vkartikv
01-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Because it doesn't turn anybody on? :p JK

rfprse
01-26-2006, 04:27 PM
There has been a sort of "controversy" with his antics (excessive grunts, celebration, showing up the opponents) comparing his to Hewitt's.
Well... for the matters like this, it all depends on whether you are on a good grace of the media. In Nadal's case, the excuse has been youthful enthusiasm, which has been the angle the media took. However, if he continues, probably it will wear out and under more unfavorable scrutiny. Rember the spins that Hewitt got when he made his move in the tour? It had quickly worn off. It would be interesting to watch how far Nadal can get away with it (not just to us fans but also among the peers).

Skppr05
01-26-2006, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't want to say something against a 6'2 diesel french open winner....

dmastous
01-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Maria Sharapova grunting is shocking.

Seles was tame compared to Masha.

WTA needs to put a muzzle on her.

Her grunts are very distracting for her opponents concentration.

But.....:D
Seles' grunts were a source of quite a bit of complaining. Martina Naveratalova was very critical of Seles at the time. After all the complaints Seles tried to muzzler herself and was not as effective on court as a result. So the next year she said screw the complaints, and let loose again.

D-man
01-26-2006, 05:07 PM
So how come no-one complains about Nadal's grunting?

um maybe because nadal is currently not playing-- there certainly have been complaints in the past

Alexandros
01-26-2006, 05:10 PM
But never to the dramatic extent people take over Sharapova's grunting. And most complaints about Nadal are his fist pumping celebrations and VAMOS in the line of Hewitt's C'MONs, rather than his exaggerated AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH grunts.

D-man
01-26-2006, 05:21 PM
i'll be truthful, nadal doesn't hurt my ears like squealapova