PDA

View Full Version : Gut Mains/Poly cross vs Poly mains/Gut cross

smittysan89
01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
What are the main differences between these two setups. I am planning on buying some Klip 16 Nat gut and some Alu Power rough, but am unsure on whether to use the gut in the mains or in the crosses.

Is anyone experienced in both of these setups? Which is better for durability? Feel? Power, Spin, Control?

Midlife crisis
01-26-2006, 05:04 PM
What are the main differences between these two setups. I am planning on buying some Klip 16 Nat gut and some Alu Power rough, but am unsure on whether to use the gut in the mains or in the crosses.

Is anyone experienced in both of these setups? Which is better for durability? Feel? Power, Spin, Control?

It is commonly said that mains provide about 80% of the feel of the strings, so putting the polys in the mains gives you primarily a poly feel softened a little bit by the gut, whereas gut mains gives you primarily a gut feel stiffened a little bit by the poly crosses.

smittysan89
01-26-2006, 05:13 PM
It is commonly said that mains provide about 80% of the feel of the strings, so putting the polys in the mains gives you primarily a poly feel softened a little bit by the gut, whereas gut mains gives you primarily a gut feel stiffened a little bit by the poly crosses.

Oh....ok. what about durability and spin and power?

Bryan Aldridge
01-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Well I've tried this both ways. I was using a 15L gut which gave me good durability with gut mains and excellent durability with gut crosses. Spin should be good in both setups. For power, definitely gut mains. I personally like the alu mains, gut crosses. But if you want a softer feel use gut mains. Also, the tension loss in the gut is going to be minimal, but tension loss in poly will be noticable...

smittysan89
01-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Well I've tried this both ways. I was using a 15L gut which gave me good durability with gut mains and excellent durability with gut crosses. Spin should be good in both setups. For power, definitely gut mains. I personally like the alu mains, gut crosses. But if you want a softer feel use gut mains. Also, the tension loss in the gut is going to be minimal, but tension loss in poly will be noticable...

tension loss in poly wont be for like two weeks though right? I hate low tensions and my 16g syn gut loses tension in a week and i have to restring. Poly lasts longer and retains tension longer than syn gut correct? Just making sure.

Midlife crisis
01-26-2006, 07:26 PM
tension loss in poly wont be for like two weeks though right? I hate low tensions and my 16g syn gut loses tension in a week and i have to restring. Poly lasts longer and retains tension longer than syn gut correct? Just making sure.

Poly strings lose more tension, in general, than synthetic gut strings.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200509/200509stringselector.html

smittysan89
01-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Poly strings lose more tension, in general, than synthetic gut strings.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200509/200509stringselector.html
i understand that they lose more tension but how fast? Do you think they will last two weeks thats all i ask.

Midlife crisis
01-27-2006, 12:06 AM
i understand that they lose more tension but how fast? Do you think they will last two weeks thats all i ask.

If you read the article in the link I provided, you will see that the test protocol is to pull the tension, let it sit for 200 seconds, then strike the string with a hammer a small number of times, simulating the force of a 120 MPH serve. The tension loss they show is over a period of maybe five minutes from the time tension was pulled.

Tension losses are greatest initially, and over a period of days or weeks tapers off to a very gradual, almost unnoticeable loss until the strings break. There is no source I am aware of that tells you what the total tension loss would be nor over what period of time that would occur over. Also, no one knows your tolerance for tension loss, nor how hard you hit the ball, nor how much you play.

Generally, you can expect that strings that lose the most tension in the test will lose the most tension over any fixed period of time. Generally, you can also expect that if you play a few hours over the two weeks, the tension the strings have at two weeks will be pretty close to the tension it will have for the rest of its life. And again, generally, tension loss for stiffer strings is less noticeable than tension loss for less stiff strings.

devilish_duke
01-27-2006, 01:24 AM
I use gut crosses and luxilon mains. I was told by a pro that it's not much different from vice versa, except that the gut lasts longer. Also, I don't believe Luxilon drops tension as quickly as polyesters.

darkblue
01-27-2006, 06:47 AM
luxillon (ex. bb alu) is a polyester. according to USRSA data, luxillon performs just like other polys in tension loss tests.

i play with VS Touch (main), ALU P Rough (crosses). i've also tried the reverse setup in varying tensions. total (fresh to breakage) durability is much worse on the gut main setup -- however, the poly main setup seemed to suffer from tension loss/change in feel after hitting for 1-2 hours. the poly main would feel a bit "loose". to address this, i strung the poly mains 3-4 lbs tighter - but i still wasn't able to get rid of the "loosening" feel.