PDA

View Full Version : Which racquet company wins points for originality in naming their sticks?

PM_
01-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Here’s something interesting. Which racquet company wins points for originality in naming their sticks?

I’d say Yonex and Wilson edge out the rest b/c they name their racquets like sports cars. I like the sound of RDX and nCode-definitely points on originality.

On the other end of the scale would be Babolat. Taking nothing away from their sticks but Pure Drive/Aeropro Drive are just lame names period. Not in a million years did they imagine the tennis world would later refer these sticks by universal acronyms simply known as PD and APD. So maybe some points there afterall?

What do you think?

str33t
01-26-2006, 06:18 PM
I think Volkl is alright because they have the DNX's and the V-Engines.

czech09
01-26-2006, 06:24 PM
You need a poll and I'd say that's a tough one because honestly there aren't any normal names lol. They're pretty much all original...

PM_
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I thought about that but how many brands am I gonna list in a poll?
Some racquets like PK or Vantage wouldn't even get a mention and then you got all the kids voting for Babolat and so forth...

RedGinseng
01-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Prince is definitely not going to win. Air Freak, TT Bandit, TT Scream, Turbo Outlaw, Turbo Beast, Shark etc

zcarzach
01-26-2006, 07:03 PM
What about Gamma?? Big Bubba!! Thats a pretty unique name.

ace of spades
01-26-2006, 07:12 PM
I like how head has several racket names and continued them on with different technologies. They are probably not the most original names but they are really classic

matchpoint54
01-26-2006, 07:23 PM
I also like head names. The prestige name sounds cool.

czech09
01-26-2006, 08:49 PM
I also like head names. The prestige name sounds cool.

I want your the racquets in your sig :). The Diablo Tour I demoed was soooo nice. I'll probably end up getting one and use either it or my LM Radical as the backup. Liquid Metal sounds pretty good so yeah I guess I'll throw a vote in for Head as well.

louis netman
01-27-2006, 08:30 AM
It would have to be the Wilson "W Line..." What brilliant marketers they are. I'd like to meet the group of morons who came up with that crock of ----.
"Lime," "Wild Cherry," "Cinnamon Spice," or whatever they've got going. I guess they must think tennis playing women are borderline MR...

Oh well, I guess anyone who buys a W-line racket certainly is.

Mr.Federer
01-27-2006, 08:48 AM
DNX, V-Engine, RDX

oscar_2424
01-27-2006, 08:57 AM
I think Volkl is alright because they have the DNX's and the V-Engines.
I agree Volkl wins

gonzalocatalino
01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
my choices are:
V-Engine`s (Volkl=
Liquidmetal`s (Head)
Hyper Pro Staff (Wilson)

anirut
01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Originality is one thing, the message/personality to be conveyed is another. Sometimes you've got to be specific, sometimes you've got to leave some question marks.

It depends on WHO you want to convey the message to. It depends on WHAT personality/feel is to be conveyed. It depends on WHERE that brand is going to be placed. It also depends on WHEN (the period of time) the brand was conceived.

Being a brand consultant, I could go on.

I like the old Head though ... The Edge series of Head racket. Nice name. Straight forward. No gimmick. Clearly states the product's benefit. This is a case of being 'specific'. The Catapult and PK's 'Kinetic' range also falls in this category.

The nCode is a case of being 'mystic'. It conveys a feeling of something being 'scientific', heavy R&D. Also for the DNX and Liquidmetal.

The Diablo, the Warrior, Head radical, Heat/Fire, the V-Engine, for examples, convey the message of 'rawness', of power.

For the Babolat's ... the names are straight forward benefits, like the Edge: PureDrive, PureControl, AeroPro, etc., except the names are longer. But you can't go wrong misunderstanding the benefits.

And for the Prestige, PK Heritage, Prince ORIGINAL Graphite (and more of this class), tend to convey the deep root of the product, conveying a message of 'trustworthy' equipment.

Interesting to note is the ProStaff. This is a name that conveys both the benefit (Pro) and the heritage (Staff -- as in ancient times). It has quite of a mystic nature and may not be easily understood by persons hearing of the name for the first-time. But a nice name anyway.

I guess you can work on the W-Line's message.

Sorry for going too long on this ....

PBODY99
01-27-2006, 01:39 PM
What about Gamma?? Big Bubba!! Thats a pretty unique name.

The original BIG BUBBA was endorsed by Tony Trabert and was not a Gamma product. I too vote for one of my favorite rackets. Yes I played with the Big Bubba Tour for 2 seasons. It was a mere 131 sq in head on a 29" frame.:cool:

PM_
01-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Originality is one thing, the message/personality to be conveyed is another. Sometimes you've got to be specific, sometimes you've got to leave some question marks.

It depends on WHO you want to convey the message to. It depends on WHAT personality/feel is to be conveyed. It depends on WHERE that brand is going to be placed. It also depends on WHEN (the period of time) the brand was conceived.

Being a brand consultant, I could go on.

I like the old Head though ... The Edge series of Head racket. Nice name. Straight forward. No gimmick. Clearly states the product's benefit. This is a case of being 'specific'. The Catapult and PK's 'Kinetic' range also falls in this category.

The nCode is a case of being 'mystic'. It conveys a feeling of something being 'scientific', heavy R&D. Also for the DNX and Liquidmetal.

The Diablo, the Warrior, Head radical, Heat/Fire, the V-Engine, for examples, convey the message of 'rawness', of power.

For the Babolat's ... the names are straight forward benefits, like the Edge: PureDrive, PureControl, AeroPro, etc., except the names are longer. But you can't go wrong misunderstanding the benefits.

And for the Prestige, PK Heritage, Prince ORIGINAL Graphite (and more of this class), tend to convey the deep root of the product, conveying a message of 'trustworthy' equipment.

Interesting to note is the ProStaff. This is a name that conveys both the benefit (Pro) and the heritage (Staff -- as in ancient times). It has quite of a mystic nature and may not be easily understood by persons hearing of the name for the first-time. But a nice name anyway.

I guess you can work on the W-Line's message.

Sorry for going too long on this ....
Good feedback:p
But I didn't know Babolat carried a racquet called the "Edge"?:confused:

bismark
01-28-2006, 02:13 AM
Some discontinued frames have pretty unique (and silly) names:

Vertically challenged Kneissl - Tom's Reach Machine, Reach IQ, Reach Square Titan, Reach More

Foul weathered Prince - Thunderbolt, Thunderstrike, Thunderlite, Thunderblast, Thunderstorm

Try making a distinction between Fischer Revolution Tour (predecessor to Pro #1) and Dunlop Relevation Tour

Head - Genesis, Orient, Polaris, Discovery, Atlantis, Ventoris.....pity there's no racquet called Orifice!

kabob
01-28-2006, 02:35 AM
I'd have to vote Pro Kennex. I mean, they've got a Heritage series of racquets in which one of them is named a Type C Redondo, how cool is that? :)