PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they make a 16/19 Prestige?

Golden Retriever
06-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Is there anything out there that plays like how a 16/19 Prestige would play like? I think many people like me love their products but are some how skeptical about the dense pattern. If they would make a 16/19 Prestige I think they could double their sales. They are sitting on a gem and don't even know what to do with it. Does Head stand for hardhead? or headcase?

womackD
06-08-2004, 03:45 PM
What is it you don't like about the 18X20 pattern of the Prestige rackets?

Brent Pederson
06-08-2004, 04:38 PM
They did. It was called the Premier tour. Almost everybody seemed to hate it (except me!)

Flatspin
06-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Head has traditionally produced frames with dense patterns. I believe, perhaps, the string pattern gives the head frames there distintive feel. I, like many others, prefer the response, feel and playabilty of dense string patterns and Head tennis racquets!

bluecephas
06-08-2004, 07:24 PM
I've been waiting for Head to come up with a 16-main player's racquet for a while. Until they do, I'll be using Wilson.

Golden Retriever
06-10-2004, 08:37 AM
What is it you don't like about the 18X20 pattern of the Prestige rackets?

I slice most of my backhand and I find dense pattern makes it hard for slicing. Otherwise I love the feel of a Head Prestige.

rich s
06-10-2004, 06:06 PM
what i don't like about the 18x20 pattern is that you get absolutely no feel from the strings. Regardless of what material strings or where you string it in the recommended tension range the bed feels like a board on 98sq in and smaller heads -

Alex
06-10-2004, 08:15 PM
The prestige is a demanding racquet.

Well, you can give this a shot!

Try stringing the Prestige at a lower tension ..
Many have found favourable result.

By reading to most poster in this site, past and present, most players find the racquet play better at lower tension (I sure did.)

Range from 55 lbs and below ... and use thinner string gauge say 17 or 18 .. to me the thinner the better on this racquet.
It help on generating spin... not much but adequate.

If you have the cash, string the Prestige with gut... u be loving it.

If it still doesn't work out after restringing... Sorry to say that the racquet is not right for you.

Cheers..

PrestigeClassic
06-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Yup! Dropping a few pounds and/or switching to a gut hybrid if not a full-gut string job will do wonders. But it won't give you a slice backhand like a Wilson will. But you also won't be needing to hit your slice backhand as much because of all the other controlled missiles that you will be hitting as winners.

tarheelbornjohn
06-11-2004, 04:43 AM
I love the dense pattern. I don't use much slice backhand except on low backhand and some chip and charge. Never found a problem with hitting it. However, my last racquet was the HPS 6.1 stretch with an 18x20 pattern too.

Kick Serve
06-11-2004, 07:04 AM
I know technique has a lot to do with generating spin, but a more open string pattern does help. I can never generate as much spin with an 18x20 string pattern as I can with a 16x19. I know there are some people who believe that the extra strings provide more surface with which to impart spin on the ball and it does sound logical. But I've found in my own humble real world testing that for me this theory just doesn't hold up. I assume the control aspect of a dense string pattern comes from the less lively string bed. I like the specs on Head's Prestige line and would consider them if they made one with a looser string pattern.

bcaz
06-11-2004, 01:39 PM
I wish Head would make it with 16 mains, but then I guess it wouldn't be a Prestige. The best thing about them is the superb directional control.

gokou703
06-11-2004, 03:40 PM
i would love to have a 16/19 LM radical mp as well. i find the dense string pattern does make a difference in the amount of spin i produce. i can produce much more spin on the POG midsize. a less dense string pattern would give me just the right amount of extra spin needed with my flat strokes

thejerk
06-11-2004, 05:26 PM
because then they would be called prince or wilson. they couldn't make anything better than prestige classic, could they?