PDA

View Full Version : Any Recommendation

knyks342
01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey everyone I am new to the board and I just wanted to get some insight.

Ok heres the deal. I am just getting back into the game. I have been a tennis pro for the last 5 years but have not played seriously in about 3.
I was playing 5.5 in Atlanta 3 years ago and am probably around 5.0-5.5 level as of now.
I am going to be playing some d1 college tennis and wanted some suggestions as to what i should do to enhance my game.

I just got two new volkl tour 9 v engines, this is after i cracked two n vision frames from my serve. I can get my serve up to around 131 so i needed a better racket.

I wanted some insight on what string i should use. Should I use a hybrid?

I just learned how to hit a one handed backhand so thats new to me and i would to get as much control as possible. I have a huge forehand and my volleying is really good.

My budget is limited and any info on what strings i should get...by the way i hit with a ton of top and rely on top and control as i provide my own power.

Thanks in advance

kenc9265
01-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Playing 5+ level is pretty compititive level. Based on your skill level you mention, I wouldn't settle anything less then natural gut.

The awsome combo, I used babolat tonic or VS down, luxilon cross. All the benefit of control, power, comfort and it help to keep string from moving.

knyks342
01-27-2006, 11:08 AM
OK question....if i wanted to go with something less expensive...what do you guys suggest in terms of hybrid, best bang for the buck, I'm thinking about investing in a 660 foot reel, also I have never strung hybrid before any tips? I am stringing a volkl tour 9 v engine 16 x 19.....
The string I have right now are Gosen Hy 16 gauge Spin Master and reel of 16 gauge silent partner original synthetic gut string....with the string i have currently do you guys think that is playable? should i use the gosen in the main and synthetic in the cross..how do i string it? ...like i said I have been out of the loop for about 4 years now and I need some advice.

thanks everyone.

TripleB
01-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I would say a hybrid of Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L mains and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g crosses might work well for you. That comes to around $9 per racquet plus the cross of stringing the racquet. So for around $20 you would get a nice stringing (that offered a lot of control) that had very good durability.

TripleB

thetenniskid07
01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
If you break strings very often which I am guessing then use a full Alu power rough set up. If not use a Unique Big Hitter + Gosen sheep OG or Alu power rough + Gosen sheep OG hybrid. You could also try a full Unique Big Hitter set up. With what you have right now is not very playable or durable.