PDA

View Full Version : Stringing gut with a Klippermate

megapax
01-26-2006, 07:33 PM
I am a 3.5/4.0 player. I use the Prince diablo mid with gamma tnt 17 mains and gosen og 17 crosses- this set up primarily due to budget. I have been stringing my own rackets for years with a Klippermate. My finances are improving and I would like to try out a gut hybrid. The Klippermate is a fairly crude machine, so I am concerned that it might damage the gut strings. Is it feasible to use a Klippermate with natural gut?

Valjean
01-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Of course; everything is a matter of the care taken. If you've had no prior experience stringing gut, do a bit of a search of this board for how to string with it, first.

coach
01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
a Klippermate to string gut? Isn't that like taking out Jennifer Aniston, or Jessica Alba - in a Pinto?!

yourserve
01-27-2006, 01:12 PM
i have used a klipper. only strung about 70 frames on one. in my limited
experience i don't think that gut and a klipper would be a good combo.
i think it could be done if great care were taken, and the proper slack
was used. i don't think i would tackle this project if all i had was a
klipper.

Gaines Hillix
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't recommend this to a newbie stringer on a Klippermate, but it sounds like you have a lot experience with your machine, so I wouldn't hesitate trying some nat gut on it. Just be careful not to nick or kink the string and don't overtighten the clamps. Use the search feature and look at some of the earlier posts about stringing with it. Doing it two piece saves wear and tear on the string. Also I recommend tightening the knots by hand when using gut.

Kevo
01-27-2006, 04:56 PM
You can do it, be sure to wrap the gut twice around the gripper. That will reduce the stress on the string and keep it from slipping. Also, make sure there are no rough edges on the gripper. If there are, you may want to put a little sand paper to them first. Also cleaning everything would be good if you haven't done it in a while.