PDA

View Full Version : Varying Tension

Amit
01-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Is there any advantage to varying tension between mains and corsses in a setup that is purebred not hybrid. I'm going to switch from my alu rough/vs touch to full alu because the gut usually lasts me a week lol but any way I use a 90 sq. inch racket and i think 54-56 (still undecided) lb for a full alu rough sounds like a nice starting point but should I retain the seperate tension I had for mains vs. crosses that I used in my previous setup? What exactly does this do? I did realize that it added various effects vs the same tension for both mains and crosses the most notable being the increase of sweet spot size, but this was done wiht my hybrid setup. Would it make sense to do a similar thing with a full alu rough, and if so what would you guys suggest as the tensions if I would use about 55/55 tension normally.

Gaines Hillix
01-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Raising the tension on the crosses helps reduce string movement for some players and that's the main reason I hear for people using this technique. Since a full ALU job locks in and doesn't move around anyway, I'd use the same tension on both mains and crosses(I do, for what that's worth :-) ).

SteveI
01-27-2006, 06:37 AM
Raising the tension on the crosses helps reduce string movement for some players and that's the main reason I hear for people using this technique. Since a full ALU job locks in and doesn't move around anyway, I'd use the same tension on both mains and crosses(I do, for what that's worth :-) ).

It is felt by some that lowering the tension on the crosses will expand the sweetspot giving you a more playable stringbed, increased power and making the frame a bit more stable on off-center hits. I am not sure if this is supported by the "Science". Gaines and others may point you to the proper references to support or not support this claim. I "feel" that it does in certain cases, based on frame, strings installed, stringing pattern and head size/flex. Hope this helps..

Regards,
Steve

Amit
01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
i have an asian ncode tour 90, strings commin in mail soon so imma take a couple more suggestions but it looks like im going to try to have a lower cross tension by how much tho? 1 or 2 lbs? More input please so i can make my final decision. Remember this is a full alu setup not a hybrid. Thanks!

Bottle Rocket
01-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Would it make sense to do a similar thing with a full alu rough, and if so what would you guys suggest as the tensions if I would use about 55/55 tension normally.

The Luxilon won't move around and for a very consistant feel go for the same tension all around. I can't think of any good reason for different tensions with this stuff, although it is definitely something to experiment with. I doubt the differences are noticable though, even with slightly different tensions.

If you normally string at 55, string it at 50 lbs to start with the Lux.

Kevo
01-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I string crosses lower on my Yonex RDX 500 Mid. The reason is that the crosses are 2 inches shorter than the mains. I have experimented with this a bit, and it does make quite a difference. At 60/60 with softer strings the racquet can feel a bit boardy. However, at 60/57 with the same strings it's not boardy at all. I also tried at 57/57, and it wasn't boardy, but more power than I wanted. I am actually going to try my next string job at 60/55 to see how it works out. I haven't measured an Ncode Tour 90, but I would guess that the length of mains and crosses in the center of the frame is much closer than on a Yonex. So probably 2 pounds difference would be a good start if you wanted to experiment. It helps to have a second frame so you can compare side by side.

Newberry
01-29-2006, 05:09 AM
I'm new to stringing, but I've been adding around 2lbs to the crosses. After watching videos at the s p tennis.com site, the owner mentions that the additional friction from the mains (when tensioning the crosses) will cause the crosses to have a lower tension than the mains when pulled at the same poundage.
I've also read that some believe that higher tension in the crosses will cause the mains to lift further from the stringbed, giving more "bite" on the ball.
No personal testing, just sharing what I've read/heard.

Amit
01-29-2006, 11:10 AM
hrmm interesting i may just have to go 55/55 since there are so many contrasting views but ill wait a bit longer for more oppinions

PBODY99
01-29-2006, 11:36 AM
At one point Yonnex made it a point to spec a -5 lbs from the mains to the crosses, along with 2pc top down stringing. I know that the R-22's played much better strung this way, and I drop the tension on all yonex that I do.:cool:

Amit
01-29-2006, 12:18 PM
how bout for a tour 90?

PBODY99
01-29-2006, 03:53 PM
how bout for a tour 90?

Some players drop the tension in a 1 pc job on the crosses as they feel it makes the stringbed play better. One way to go is drop the overall tension by 2 - 4 pounds and give it a try. The use of all poly will make the stringbed quite a bit stiffer.
Good Luck.:cool:

Amit
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Im gonna try 54/53 as little as the diference may sound this is all im willing to experiment for now =) ill change it up later maybe and use this as a reference point. A tension this low is also new to me and im not sure how it will play as i usually go at around 60 with my ncode. I've always wanted a bit more power tho so im tryin this side of the spectrum 54 sounds good to me. Continue to comment guys looks like my tw order is a bit late =)