PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Racket Dilemma

Atomic_Sheep
01-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi guys,

I broke my Wilson ProStaff 6.1 classic last week and now I am hunting around for a new racket. I have borrowed a demo version of the Wilson nsix-one 95 with a string pattern of 18/20 and was majorly dissapointed. My pro staff had a string pattern of 16/18 and a tension of 27kg or 60lbs. This racket probably had a tension of 25kg or something because it was the standard wilson strung one I think and I would imagine they would string them at the middle marker (23-27) anyway. The control on this thing was amazing... but the power... hmm... not happy with that one bit. I could generate plenty with the classic but this one I donno. What do you guys think? should I get the 16/18 string pattern version of the nsix-one 95 with the same 27kg tension as on my classic? will it be similar in feel? or should I go with the 18/20 string pattern version and just restring it to 27kg? I checked out the player section of the wilson site and the pros were all favouring the 18/20 for some reason... :neutral: I'm guessing they have a higher tension on them than what the factory standard one is (I think its 25kg... but thats just me... I wouldnt have a clue as to what it is but if certainly feels softer). But yeh what do you think I should do? I'm pretty sure that no one has the 16/18 version available for demo and I have looked for different tension demo versions all over my city and everyone has the standard factory 18/20 one so not much help there :( .

snoflewis
01-26-2006, 10:08 PM
well....ive tried the 6.1 classic a while back...and imo, it's nothing like the n6.1 16x18. the classic had a great feel to it, rather than that muted stiff feeling of the n6.1. imho, i think you should just stick to your classic 6.1 by ordering another one off of TW.

Atomic_Sheep
01-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Do they still make them? :confused: but yeh although I love the feel and am used to it... (thats prob coz I played with it for 4 years) but basically I think its time to move on... I mean technology has improved so rackets should have too... the control on this nsix-one 95 as I said was amazing... I could spin the ball a lot easier and place it exactly where I wanted to... it was a lot easier playing at the net as it was a lot more forgiving and interestingly enough my serve speed wasn't greatly affected but yeh the baseline play was much slower and yes it felt very dull it felt like hitting with a marshmellow... it was incedibly frustrating... I think the best way to describe it would be: imagine hitting the ball... you see where you want to hit it it swing at it... but when your trying to generate any power no matter how hard u swing the ball has already left the racket and has although accurately, floated to the point on the court that you had in mind. So will increasing the tension bring it closer to the 6.1 classic? Because I have to admit I wouldnt mind sacrificing a bit of power for this vast improvement in control. I honestly couldnt believe how easy it was to return those balls that ur stretching for... they used to just bounce off in any direction with this at full stretch you still get them back into play (although obviously you lose coz its a floater lol) but none the less. And i've seen pros generate plenty of power with it so my guess is that its to do with string tension and less to do with string pattern. (although taylor dent did 231km/h serve with it... although he has the 16/18 version of it)

Atomic_Sheep
01-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Well I got the federer nsix-one tour racket today. Great racket... great control great feel. I have 27kg on it. I have to get used to it and perhaps try some other tensions on it but yeh I just cant generate quite as much power as on my pro staff classic (But the shot placement I think by far outweighs that) but I'm still working on how to use it to its full potential. Anyway I've just got a question concerning the weight of the wilson pro staff 6.1 classic. Does anyone know how much it weighs? Coz the this ncode weighs 340grams or 12.0oz (according to the specs on the racket). The problem is that when I do the forehand my right shoulder hurts (i played for about 40 mins today and it hurt after that). It felt like it was being pulled out of the socket or something... maybe my muscles just got strained or something. So yeh how much does the classic weigh? According to the wilson site this federer racket weighs 356grams or 12.5oz and according to some other sites that I found the classic weighs 12.1 unstrung. How much is it with strings? I never had this problem with the classic and it couldnt be much of a difference.

So yeh how much does the PSC 6.1 weigh? (strung)

Marius_Hancu
01-28-2006, 03:54 AM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

kv581
01-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Why don't you check TW's main site? They still carry PS 6.1 classic and NSix-One racquets. You can easily check the specs.

Sixpointone
01-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Atomic,

Here is a direct Tennis Warehouse link to the Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 Classic... http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-61.html

Hope that helps,
John

Atomic_Sheep
01-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanx guys that certainly helps. Only now I don't know what to do. The federer racket is exactly the same in terms of weights, but I have this shoulder problem with it. Despite its similar weight it seems heavier when I swing with it. Maybe its less aerodynamic or something... coz the frame is squarish... so maybe thats whats causing the problem. Weird and dissapointing. I think I might try to tough it out and get use to it. But yeh thanx guys at least I know thats it's not the weight that is the problem.

And Marius... my classic was definately an arm friendly racket according to those guideline specs and this one should be as well... so I think its just something I need to tough out. I think this shoulder problem was also caused due to my neck. I think I slept on it the wrong way and I guess when I was playing I wasn't playing exactly the same as usual. When I started playing guitar my left wrist husrt to the extent where I couldnt use it for several weeks (that was after one several hour session) I toughed it out and continued and have never had that problem ever since even when I did really long practice sessions.