PDA

View Full Version : Need help when tennis arm hits..

samurai826
01-27-2006, 03:52 AM
I am 13 and i use a yonex rdx 500 mid. Good racket, problem though is i get tennis arm. what tension and string should i use to prevent it? i want more spin also on my strings.

ClemsonTennis9
01-27-2006, 04:58 AM
you could try a good multifilament string...and if that does not work you might need to work on your mechanics of your stroke. i.e. most people who get tennis 'arm' are taking the ball too late and thus putting more force on their elbow.

oscar_2424
01-27-2006, 05:02 AM
Try wilson NXT

samster
01-27-2006, 05:15 AM
samurai,
The RDX 500 Mid is a low powered racket and I found myself having to "muscle" the racket a little more than I like on some shots (serve). I would recommend a hybrid with Gut mains (57 lbs) and Luxilon ALU-Power 16L crosses (52 lbs). Basically, string lower if you want more power. Several others have mentioned that the racket is both string and tension sensitive so you might have to play around with the tension. But I like the Gut mains/Lux crosses setup; the Luxilon seems to provide additonal power and control and SPIN as the strings don't move much.

samster
01-27-2006, 05:19 AM
samurai,
I own both the RDX 500 Mid and Midplus and right now I am using the Midplus. This is mainly because I couldn't generate much pace on the serves. In my opinion, I found the Midplus to provide more power and because of larger headsize, more spin. The Mid is a much, much better volleying racket though and is awsome on Service returns. You can check out the TW reviews.

samurai826
01-27-2006, 06:29 AM
thanks guys i might switch from mid to midplus, but i'll try to get used to the mid for a couple of weeks. :-|

CheapStrings
01-27-2006, 08:47 AM
I use poly strings (Gosen Polylon and Signum PPP) and I've had both elbow and wrist pain. They went away after I dropped my string's tension way down, from a few pounds under the upper limit to a few pounds under the bottom. I also used ice and heat on my elbow and wrist right after playing and that helped a lot.

I can't say I like the low tensions but it did allow me to continue playing and heal. Dropping the tension is probably equivalent to using a softer (multifilament) string but I didn't want to change from polys because I break strings pretty fast. Good luck.

thetenniskid07
01-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Trying increasing your tension.

Cruzer
01-28-2006, 05:12 PM
samurai,
I would recommend a hybrid with Gut mains (57 lbs) and Luxilon ALU-Power 16L crosses (52 lbs). Basically, string lower if you want more power. Several others have mentioned that the racket is both string and tension sensitive so you might have to play around with the tension. But I like the Gut mains/Lux crosses setup; the Luxilon seems to provide additonal power and control and SPIN as the strings don't move much.

If you are having arm problems that absolute last string you want to use is a stiff polyester string like Luxilon ALU-Power. If you are having arm problems use a softer string, e.g. a multifilament like Wilson NXT, Tecnifibre NRG2, or if you are on a budget Wilson Sensation. String at a lower tension and use a thinner guage, i.e. 17 gauge.