PDA

View Full Version : Marius - you're right about the ProStaffs!

Galactus
01-27-2006, 05:30 AM
I am also using a Tour 90 (non-ncode) with enough lead (about 15g) at 6 and 9 to bring it to 370g (again, strung). It's easier to serve with this one in terms of weight and my serves are faster with it. Also, easier to place topspin (but not slice).

6.0 85 has 40g of tape, is less maneuvrable, but more stable on hard shots and less shock on my elbow at impact. Less head speed, but the mass compensates for it. Also, considerable power, when you are able to handle it. Amazing slices. On volleys, just have to keep it in front of me, which is the correct technique anyway
I played with my Tour90 (355g, newly-strung at 55lb but with no lead-tape) again the other day for the first time in 5 months and my game tallied with your poston another thread comparing these two racquets.
Serving with it was fine but groundstrokes and volleys I just went to pieces. Approach shots that 2 weeks ago I was putting away with ease when using my 6.0 85 were almost non-existent. I found it harder to control on nearly all baseline shots too to the point where I was tentative of even giving the racquet a full, hard swing, for fear of over-hitting. I never had this with my 6.0 85.

Any advice on what I could do here? Discard the 6.0 85 and use the Tour90, but with lead and different string tension? Or go back and make similar adjustments to the 6.0 85?
(BTW, re: serving, I think I've sorted my elbow-problems out: I tried relaxing more and instead of using my arm, which I now belive to be the main cause of the problem, I used my entire body, legs, torso, shoulder, elbow, wrist and didnt feel a single twinge in a 2 hour game)

Marius_Hancu
01-27-2006, 07:30 AM
How many grams your 6.0 85s are now?

I'd say put something like 5-12g total at 3 and 9 on the Tour 90. I am using 12g, for several reasons: better slice, more stability on volleys and from the baseline. Still getting good topspin and serve power.

Also, your swing might be matched now with the heavier 6.0 85s (I guess you have some lead on them). Thus, you should swing slower (which isn't easy to achieve) with the Tour 90, or lead them up, or you might misstime your contact, as the lighter 90s get faster to the contact point.

Tour 90 and the ncode 6.1 (which I haven't played with) are I guess much more nervous horses than the 6.0 and you have to be more careful with them.

In general, to avoid misstiming, swing slower, more deliberate, align behind your balls (good footwork) and accelerate only in the last 90 degrees of rotation, when you're sure you're behind the ball. Use good top, i.e. low to high racquet head trajectory (reaching one racquet head width under the contact point).

jackson vile
01-27-2006, 07:43 AM
You tension is too low on the Tour 90, also you have to remember that the Tour 90 is a uniqe racket and takes some getting used to, I would bring it's static weight up to what the PS 85 is but personally I would put all of it in the top half of the handle

christo
01-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Buy a Pro Kennex Heritage C 93 and get rid of the Tour 90. You'll wanna buy me dinner once you've tried this totally underrated frame. It's what the Tour 90 could have been if the flex , SW and balance had been correct. The C is like the 6.0 85 with a little steroid boost. Don't worry about the 18x20, you can do all the things you love about the 85 but more consistently.

Masamusou
01-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Buy a Pro Kennex Heritage C 93 and get rid of the Tour 90. You'll wanna buy me dinner once you've tried this totally underrated frame. It's what the Tour 90 could have been if the flex , SW and balance had been correct. The C is like the 6.0 85 with a little steroid boost. Don't worry about the 18x20, you can do all the things you love about the 85 but more consistently.

Are you talking about the new Redondo edition or the older one. I tried the older one and, to be honest, it felt like total crap. I'd take my old Tour 90s over the old PK C anyday. Haven't tried the Redondo, and I won't because I've already chosen the right stick for me. Does everything better, and feels so very nice while doing it.

Galactus
01-28-2006, 04:17 AM
How many grams your 6.0 85s are now?

I'd say put something like 5-12g total at 3 and 9 on the Tour 90. I am using 12g, for several reasons: better slice, more stability on volleys and from the baseline. Still getting good topspin and serve power.

Also, your swing might be matched now with the heavier 6.0 85s (I guess you have some lead on them). Thus, you should swing slower (which isn't easy to achieve) with the Tour 90, or lead them up, or you might misstime your contact, as the lighter 90s get faster to the contact point.

Tour 90 and the ncode 6.1 (which I haven't played with) are I guess much more nervous horses than the 6.0 and you have to be more careful with them. In general, to avoid misstiming, swing slower, more deliberate, align behind your balls (good footwork) and accelerate only in the last 90 degrees of rotation, when you're sure you're behind the ball. Use good top, i.e. low to high racquet head trajectory (reaching one racquet head width under the contact point).
You tension is too low on the Tour 90, also you have to remember that the Tour 90 is a uniqe racket and takes some getting used to, I would bring it's static weight up to what the PS 85 is but personally I would put all of it in the top half of the handle
Marius:
At the moment, I'm not using my 6.0 85 (I removed the lead tape from it which I now know was about 3g in total - probably not nearly enough) so it's at it's default weight of 355g. The Tour90 I am going to give a few more weeks with some more lead-weight as you suggested and see what happens.
I think you're right about my swing-speed - if the Tour90 is 3-5g lighter than the 6.0 85 anyway, then this would be why my baseline shots are sailing way too long...

Jackson Vile:
Yeah - I was debating which tension to go with on this racquet, so I went for something 'safe' and middle-of-the-road - I think I need to go higher...much higher. I had my 6.0 85 strung at about 60-62lb when I was using this back in the autumn of 2005.

skraggle
02-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Christo is right.

The Heritage C is a terrific stick. I own all of these racquets (I have a bit of a problem), and they're all great in their own ways. But in terms of ease of use and all-around game, the PK Type C is hard to beat.

Now, if I could just learn how to play...

kabob
02-04-2006, 09:08 PM
How are you having problems, specifically? I love my Tour 90s, great sticks. I had control issues for a while with them (balls flying on me) but on days like that, I just pick up my nCode 90 and, problem solved. You might consider revising your stroke. I know when I used to hit with the 6.0 85 and the Kramer Staff 85, I would drive the ball with an Eastern grip. With the Tour 90, a semi-western grip is a must. The racquet's very spin-friendly if you take full, fast swings. You could hit like Federer, Jr. (Okay, maybe not, but you get the idea :-p)

Galactus
02-12-2006, 07:20 AM
How are you having problems, specifically? I love my Tour 90s, great sticks. I had control issues for a while with them (balls flying on me) but on days like that, I just pick up my nCode 90 and, problem solved. You might consider revising your stroke. I know when I used to hit with the 6.0 85 and the Kramer Staff 85, I would drive the ball with an Eastern grip. With the Tour 90, a semi-western grip is a must. The racquet's very spin-friendly if you take full, fast swings. You could hit like Federer, Jr. (Okay, maybe not, but you get the idea :-p)
Specifically: when using my PS Tour 90" (no lead tape, strung with synthetic gut at 55lb) my serve has a touch more power to it, yet my forehand from the baseline and service-line when going for winners tend to sail long.

When I revert back to the preferable PS Original 85" (5g of lead tape, synthetic gut at 60lb) my serve isn't quite as powerful or 'clean', I don't get as much topspin but I can hit winners from both the baseline and service-line...however, I really have to give the racquet a complete swing.

I'm currently in the process of adding another 10-15g of lead to my 6.0 85" and see what effect that has. (unless i blow my shoulder out, that is!)

kinsella
02-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Galactus:

Wait a minute. You took years to build good volleys, approaches and a fast swing you could hit with good timing and now you have a different racquet that won't let you play that game? Is the tail wagging the dog?

Galactus
02-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Galactus:

Wait a minute. You took years to build good volleys, approaches and a fast swing you could hit with good timing and now you have a different racquet that won't let you play that game? Is the tail wagging the dog?
Nope - I've played about 8 months with the Tour 90....then out of curiousity changed to the 6.0 85" and liked it better.
However, i still felt I wanted a bit more power on my serves and baseline shots, so instead of leading-up as Marius suggested I had another stint with the Tour 90 again...and the results I have posted in earlier posts on this thread.

I feel I shall go back to the 6.0 85" again though....

kabob
02-12-2006, 09:09 PM
What grip are you using? Remember that the Tour 90s are much more spin friendly and powerful than the 6.0 85. Try putting more topspin on your shots.

Galactus
02-13-2006, 03:13 AM
What grip are you using? Remember that the Tour 90s are much more spin friendly and powerful than the 6.0 85. Try putting more topspin on your shots.
41/2 gripsize.