PDA

View Full Version : Dislikes of FXP Radical Tour MP?

Coria
01-27-2006, 06:57 AM
This racket got terrific reviews. Nice weight (swing weight good for a 12 oz. frame). Flexible frame good for feel and joints. 100 Sq. inch head. Beam not too thick but thick enough for good power.

Why is this frame disliked by a fair number of people? For me, it clearly has more feel than the LM Radical--probably due to the headlightness which I find makes topspin easier as well as some finesse shots.

Why not more excitement about it? I've been using the Pure Drive, which I love. But, I've realized I've lost too much control on some shots that is costing me against certain players. I serve great with it and certainly hit big power groundies. Against most players, it's perfect. But against very consistent players who move well and get to my balls, I don't have the precision I need with the PD, so I'm seriously considering this frame.

As Marius points out, getting away from the Pure Drive and the 70 stiffness will be good for my shoulder and elbow in the long term anyway--I'm over 40 now.

alfa164164
01-27-2006, 07:14 AM
I think it is a great frame, but it did NOT seem to help my shoulder or elbow.

Coria
01-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Do you think it's the Liquid Metal material itself? Because a racket with that Flex rating should be okay, right?

djones
01-27-2006, 07:30 AM
I think the flexrating isn't corect!
It felt much stiffer than 58!, more like 62/63!
Also it has a very strange feeling, anoying ping sound and the sweetspot feels weird too!
It's also too big for a 'players' racquet!

dufferok
01-27-2006, 09:21 AM
My frame weighed in at 12.4 ounces after 16g strings and overgrip. After a match, my are would be worn out form swinging the stick. My back muscles would also wear down from serving with this racket. Don't know if it was due to the weight or swing weight.

Switched to Yonex RDX 300...love'n it.

alfa164164
01-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I think the flex is very comfortable, but the frame does not seem to do a good job of absorbing vibration. Who knows, maybe the flex points actually create vibration!

christo
01-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I can play all day with this frame with nary a twinge of pain in shoulder or elbow. Not the best serving stick but you can move the seve around nicely with this frame and it just gobbles up balls at the baseline. I've used both poly hybrids, mono and multi in it , totally pain free, nice balance and swingweight.

TennisMD
01-27-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree with chriso, very arm friendly and I have had arm problems, My only complaint has been in the serve dept sometimes irratic for no apparent reason. You cannot have everything overall a very nice rkt

alfa164164
01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Agree with Christo that this frame really plows through balls on the baseline.

McGee
01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I have been hitting with this frame extensively for over a week now, and just finished a 2 1/2 hour singles "cage match" with it. I really like the racquet. A great mix of static weight, swingweight, and balance. Extremely maneuverable for a 12+ oz frame with good spin generation. I agree that the serve needs the most work with this frame but I found that my volleying and overheads were greatly enhanced. Baseline bashing was very good (and when you hit the sweet spot; yowza)....power with spin. My arm has been feeling fine. Great frame IMO.

barry
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
I have been hitting with this frame extensively for over a week now, and just finished a 2 1/2 hour singles "cage match" with it. I really like the racquet. A great mix of static weight, swingweight, and balance. Extremely maneuverable for a 12+ oz frame with good spin generation. I agree that the serve needs the most work with this frame but I found that my volleying and overheads were greatly enhanced. Baseline bashing was very good (and when you hit the sweet spot; yowza)....power with spin. My arm has been feeling fine. Great frame IMO.

I used it for about 2 hours and also had shoulder pains. Loaned it to a friend, he had the same problem, he said the racket is junk. Thought it might be the weight, but my old racket weighs 12.2 ounces.
Also if you hit high on the racket, it is hard to aim for the lines, as the flex is not predictable. Worst racket I used in 2005. I recommend you try the O3 tour; it is a much better design, and a lot more stable.
I wound up using the Wilson 6.1 95 16 x 18 pattern and in my opinion it is as good as the O3 Tour.
Next maybe Head will create a Jai Alai design, it is just another marketing gimmick.

McGee
01-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Sorry Barry, but I have had good demo success so far with the FXP Rad. I have had shoulder probs in the past and this one has been fine. Also, I had hit for a couple of weeks with the O3 Tour and hated it. Awful mega-muted feel and the strings broke twice in 3 days. Lousy stick. I agree that the nCode 6.1 95 is a good option for some people

ohplease
01-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I used it for about 2 hours and also had shoulder pains. Loaned it to a friend, he had the same problem, he said the racket is junk. Thought it might be the weight, but my old racket weighs 12.2 ounces.
Also if you hit high on the racket, it is hard to aim for the lines, as the flex is not predictable. Worst racket I used in 2005. I recommend you try the O3 tour; it is a much better design, and a lot more stable.
I wound up using the Wilson 6.1 95 16 x 18 pattern and in my opinion it is as good as the O3 Tour.
Next maybe Head will create a Jai Alai design, it is just another marketing gimmick.

Here we go w/Barry's crusade. Again.

Crusade, you ask? Yes:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=57121&page=1
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=424697
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=53618
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-56358.html
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/printthread.php?t=53317
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=50917
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=57225
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-51485.html

It's not disliked by "a fair number of people." It's disliked by mostly one person. Give it a try - if you like it. Great. If not, that's fine, too.

But if you hate it, don't try and horn in on barry's action - cause he's got a bit of a headstart on you.

barry
01-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Here we go w/Barry's crusade. Again.

Crusade, you ask? Yes:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=57121&page=1
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=424697
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=53618
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-56358.html
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/printthread.php?t=53317
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=50917
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=57225
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-51485.html

It's not disliked by "a fair number of people." It's disliked by mostly one person. Give it a try - if you like it. Great. If not, that's fine, too.

But if you hate it, don't try and horn in on barry's action - cause he's got a bit of a headstart on you.

Ha moron, he ask for a question. I gave him my experience, if you donít like it, then just donít read it. What are you a Head salseman or something. Read the post again, one other person said it was hard on his shoulder.

ohplease
01-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Ha moron, he ask for a question. I gave him my experience, if you donít like it, then just donít read it. What are you a Head salseman or something. Read the post again, one other person said it was hard on his shoulder.

I'm just pointing out your rather obsessive pattern. I wouldn't have to read about your experience if you didn't post (inconsistently - how long did you play with it? 30 minutes? 2 hours?) about it every time it comes up.

I've mentioned your crusade what? Twice? You've posted about this frame at least nine times.

But hey - if you don't like being shown to be strangely fixated - then just don't read it.

barry
01-28-2006, 04:49 AM
I'm just pointing out your rather obsessive pattern. I wouldn't have to read about your experience if you didn't post (inconsistently - how long did you play with it? 30 minutes? 2 hours?) about it every time it comes up.

I've mentioned your crusade what? Twice? You've posted about this frame at least nine times.

But hey - if you don't like being shown to be strangely fixated - then just don't read it.

OhPlease Moron, I am not the only one who had shoulder issues with the FXP tour. Why don't you post your experiences, I sure everyone is dieing to hear them! Or do you even play tennis?

I really donít care what you play with, but I will continue to post my experiences with frames! So get use too it! And like I said earlier, if you donít like my posts, then donít read them!

jonolau
01-28-2006, 10:06 AM
IMHO, after playing with this for 3 months, I'm still having problems adjusting to it. I've moved back to my Volkls which beat it hands down in terms of flexibility, feel and spin potential. It's also less forgiving than my Volkls on off centre shots.

mark1
01-28-2006, 11:13 AM
IMHO, after playing with this for 3 months, I'm still having problems adjusting to it. I've moved back to my Volkls which beat it hands down in terms of flexibility, feel and spin potential. It's also less forgiving than my Volkls on off centre shots.

jonolau...pretty sure you use the volkl v-engine mid like me. If so, it seems that we have had the exact same experiences with both the volkl and the Radical Tour. I really did not like this frame at all. I was helping teach at a local country club and was required to play with a Head frame so i chose the flexpoint tour.

I really had a hard time adjusting to this frame. I thought the beam was really thick, i thought it was fairly stiff (much more than 58 stiffness, I would say that the V-engine is SIGNIFICANTLY more flexible than the Rad Tour). I also felt like barry, that often times if i was a bit late or even if i was trying to flatten the ball out, the ball would sail wildly on me. This is the first frame i have ever used that did this. I had to put massive topspin on every shot just to keep the ball in the court. This allowed for my opponents to tee off on my forcibly fluff forehand. It also had this really weird vibration to it that i didnt like. It also felt like the swingweight was really cumbersome. It was probably my least favorite players frame i have ever hit along with the Yonex RDX500 mid. But hey, lots of people hate the Volkl i use as well. Bottom line is that with all of the competition around for tennis frame manufacturers, they are all good frames. My personal recommendation is that if you like the specs of the Rad Tour, you should give the O3 tour a whirl. I would likely be still using it if not for the awful prince grip shape...

iscottius
01-28-2006, 09:30 PM
great frame, does everything well, read TW's review, I find the reviews to be very consistent and reliable.

jonolau
01-28-2006, 09:41 PM
jonolau...pretty sure you use the volkl v-engine mid like me. If so, it seems that we have had the exact same experiences with both the volkl and the Radical Tour. I really did not like this frame at all. I was helping teach at a local country club and was required to play with a Head frame so i chose the flexpoint tour.

I really had a hard time adjusting to this frame. I thought the beam was really thick, i thought it was fairly stiff (much more than 58 stiffness, I would say that the V-engine is SIGNIFICANTLY more flexible than the Rad Tour). I also felt like barry, that often times if i was a bit late or even if i was trying to flatten the ball out, the ball would sail wildly on me. This is the first frame i have ever used that did this. I had to put massive topspin on every shot just to keep the ball in the court. This allowed for my opponents to tee off on my forcibly fluff forehand. It also had this really weird vibration to it that i didnt like. It also felt like the swingweight was really cumbersome. It was probably my least favorite players frame i have ever hit along with the Yonex RDX500 mid. But hey, lots of people hate the Volkl i use as well. Bottom line is that with all of the competition around for tennis frame manufacturers, they are all good frames. My personal recommendation is that if you like the specs of the Rad Tour, you should give the O3 tour a whirl. I would likely be still using it if not for the awful prince grip shape...
Hi Mark. Exactly how I felt about the vibrations, When I played it stock, it took a lot of effort in getting flat balls to sail over the net. The frame just felt like it had no power at all, so when I took full swings with it, I also had to generate massive amounts of spin to get it to stay in court. So I started to experiment with weights, and finally settled on 20gms in the handle to increase the swingweight (for flat shots) and provide stability on volleys. Even so, it still did not feel as flexible.

Switching back to my Volkls has been a tremendous contrast. Now I know why I am a strong supporter of Volkl. It really is a no-frills (marketing wise), old-school feel racquet in modern packaging. Wonderfully buttery and effortless on groundstrokes, poewrful flat bombs and extremely forgiving on mishits.

I would like to give the O3 Tour a spin, but after being so used to Volkl and having a disastrous outing with the FXP Tour, I'm quite hesitant. But having said that, I still have my eye on the DNX10 325 ...

barry
01-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi Mark. Exactly how I felt about the vibrations, When I played it stock, it took a lot of effort in getting flat balls to sail over the net. The frame just felt like it had no power at all, so when I took full swings with it, I also had to generate massive amounts of spin to get it to stay in court. So I started to experiment with weights, and finally settled on 20gms in the handle to increase the swingweight (for flat shots) and provide stability on volleys. Even so, it still did not feel as flexible.

Switching back to my Volkls has been a tremendous contrast. Now I know why I am a strong supporter of Volkl. It really is a no-frills (marketing wise), old-school feel racquet in modern packaging. Wonderfully buttery and effortless on groundstrokes, poewrful flat bombs and extremely forgiving on mishits.

I would like to give the O3 Tour a spin, but after being so used to Volkl and having a disastrous outing with the FXP Tour, I'm quite hesitant. But having said that, I still have my eye on the DNX10 325 ...

jonolau
You seem like a knowledgeable Volkl user, what ever happened to the Volkl Classic. I used one for couple of hours and it was the best racket I have hit with. Does Volkl produce something comparable these days?

Rory G
01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I had a hit with this frame over the weekend (demo program) just for fun and was pleasantly surpised by this racquet. Extremely maneuverable and pretty stable. It took a while for me to adjust to ripping groundstrokes with it, but once you have hit with it for a while the racquet can provide some mean spin and power. I also had very good luck spinning the ball wide on serves..good bite on the ball. I cannot think of many things that I did not like about the racquet; maybe a bit less stable than my Vantages but I was able to generate terrific racquet head speed with the Radical Tour. In my opinion this is a very good stick.

jonolau
01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
jonolau
You seem like a knowledgeable Volkl user, what ever happened to the Volkl Classic. I used one for couple of hours and it was the best racket I have hit with. Does Volkl produce something comparable these days?
barry, sounds like you had a great outing with the Classic. unfortunately I did not get a chance to play with one. Perhaps NBM or Rabbit might be able to help out on this.

dmvprof
01-31-2006, 10:39 AM
I've got a FP LM OS and I love it so far.

Just how the hell does a raquet cause a sore shoulder anyways? Sound more like a problem with the swing to me.

TripleB
01-31-2006, 10:53 AM
Too Flexible, Too Slow (or I should say my laziness caused me to be slow with the racquet), Not Enough Spin (again because I was too lazy to get prepared earlier and start my swing soon enough), Too Heavy (for me), Not Enough "Flickability", and not quite enough power for me.

TripleB

WChiang
01-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I've had a week with this frame and it definitely was flexible and easy swinging for me. If anything it was "overpowered" slightly. My spin generation was above average, especially on serve. I was able to control the power with more spin which is good for my game. No arm problems. Overall I think this is a fine racquet.

Fatmike
01-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I love It.

BreakPoint
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM
I had a hit with this frame over the weekend (demo program) just for fun and was pleasantly surpised by this racquet. Extremely maneuverable and pretty stable. It took a while for me to adjust to ripping groundstrokes with it, but once you have hit with it for a while the racquet can provide some mean spin and power. I also had very good luck spinning the ball wide on serves..good bite on the ball. I cannot think of many things that I did not like about the racquet; maybe a bit less stable than my Vantages but I was able to generate terrific racquet head speed with the Radical Tour. In my opinion this is a very good stick.

I agree with Rory G. I liked this racquet for the most part. Groundstokes did take a bit of adjustment, as the flex of the head sometimes seemed to "catapult" the ball further than I expected. It felt fairly hefty, and thus, pretty stable for the most part. The best part of this racquet for me was on the serve. I could really crank out some bombs with this thing, probably due to the hefty weight and the headlight balance, along with the good flex. I see that some people in this thread have mentioned that they didn't like it for serves, but I've also read many other posts in other threads (you can do a search) in which other members have praised it for serving. I guess it all comes down to how you serve and what you're used to using. I have pretty good mechanics on my serve and it's my biggest weapon, so perhaps that's a factor in why I like it. But ultimately, this racquet was just too powerful overall for my tastes (which is for low-powered, "old-school" racquets).

BTW, if you haven't already read it, I did a playtest of it for TW a while ago, here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/playtests/BREAKP05.html

Safina
01-31-2006, 04:14 PM
well a lot of people like it.. and Barry obviously hates it. barry thinks his opinion should count the same or more than 50 people....So obviously it is a horrible racquet! :rolleyes:

(barry next time just tell people to do a search for your previous comments... we all know your opinion on the subject)

you can also search for my comments too.. but to address some other posters here... the FXP Tour is IMO improperly named. Many people think it is just a little different from a normal Radical.
This thing is a BEAST. Heavy, solid... everything you would want from a TOUR , PROFESSIONAL, PLAYERS frame.. etc.
If you wouldn't use a Wilson 6.1, or a 6.0 frame... don't try this one.
To me this is almost identical to the 6.1. Powerful, solid, and stable due to the weight.
The FXP Tour can totally be sluggish or tiresome to use for 3-5 sets of competitive tennis if you aren't a dedicated player with a fitness program.
But for the right player, the FXP Tour is a great racquet that doesn't need any modification to feel good. This is an old school frame with 2 meaningless holes in it for marketing purposes. Add a leather grip to it, and I swear it is a Wilson 6.1 Classic.
Anyway it can be a great frame for the right player.. but please give greater weight to "barry" and his 50 posts on the subject.

barry
02-01-2006, 03:24 AM
well a lot of people like it.. and Barry obviously hates it. barry thinks his opinion should count the same or more than 50 people....So obviously it is a horrible racquet! :rolleyes:

(barry next time just tell people to do a search for your previous comments... we all know your opinion on the subject)

you can also search for my comments too.. but to address some other posters here... the FXP Tour is IMO improperly named. Many people think it is just a little different from a normal Radical.
This thing is a BEAST. Heavy, solid... everything you would want from a TOUR , PROFESSIONAL, PLAYERS frame.. etc.
If you wouldn't use a Wilson 6.1, or a 6.0 frame... don't try this one.
To me this is almost identical to the 6.1. Powerful, solid, and stable due to the weight.
The FXP Tour can totally be sluggish or tiresome to use for 3-5 sets of competitive tennis if you aren't a dedicated player with a fitness program.
But for the right player, the FXP Tour is a great racquet that doesn't need any modification to feel good. This is an old school frame with 2 meaningless holes in it for marketing purposes. Add a leather grip to it, and I swear it is a Wilson 6.1 Classic.
Anyway it can be a great frame for the right player.. but please give greater weight to "barry" and his 50 posts on the subject.

I can honestly say my opinion is by far the most important to me, and if you do not post your opinion, how will others know? I own a 6.1 Ncode 95 and the two rackets are totally different. And yes I also use leather grips. If you like the frames, then use it, but for me it did not work out. I have always been a long time Head fan, but after this experience I don’t think I will be put on the demo list.
To me, it is a poorly designed racket, and would suggest others demo both the Prince O3 tour, and a 6.1 95, before you decide. Both are better and more stable frames. My next demo frames will be from Volkl and Babolat. I usually test 6 or so new frames a year.

You should read all the posts, before you claim it is only one player who does not like the racket. Spend more time posting your experiences with the FXP tour rather than attacking others, after all this message board was designed for player to share information on products.

misterg
02-01-2006, 05:15 AM
Coria!
I platested this racquet for a few weeks and I can say that its a great racquet in all departments. Good, pop, spin, control, maneuvrability etc. It has it all except IMO confort. The flexpoint somehow affects the feeling of the racquet, I found it like hitting with a broken string o frame... But if you don't care for the strange "sound" go for it, it'a a really great playing racquet.

TennisMD
02-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I recently restrung my volkl tour 10 MP with gut at 56 and had a night of competitive doubles with this and the Head FP tour strung with gut. The volkl had top of the line babalot gut at 56 lbs and the head had klip gut 17 guage the volkl also was 17. while both were nice performers the head is a clear winner. I wonder whether the differences in response from different skilled players depends upon where you contact the ball on the rkt. For me the fuzz collection on the strings was pretty much dead center, I believe I have seen other posters comment on hitting the ball higher up on the rkt.

WChiang
02-01-2006, 01:39 PM
I recently restrung my volkl tour 10 MP with gut at 56 and had a night of competitive doubles with this and the Head FP tour strung with gut. The volkl had top of the line babalot gut at 56 lbs and the head had klip gut 17 guage the volkl also was 17. while both were nice performers the head is a clear winner. I wonder whether the differences in response from different skilled players depends upon where you contact the ball on the rkt. For me the fuzz collection on the strings was pretty much dead center, I believe I have seen other posters comment on hitting the ball higher up on the rkt.

I played four sets of doubles last night. Two with a Volkl Tour 10 Gen II and two with the FXP Rad Tour. I tend to hit the ball a bit higher than center on the stringbed. Both frames were strung with biphase 18 at 58 lbs. The FXP Tour played much better for me. More spin on the serve (and groundstrokes); equally on volleys with the Volkl, and it felt more stable and had more zip than the Volkl. Overall I just played better with the Head racquet. Both racquets were fine on my arm and I enjoy both frames. I might take the DNX 10 out for a test run for a final comparison, but I am pretty much committed to the FXP at this point.

vinnier6
02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
whats not to like...

rfprse
02-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I was disappointed with this one probably because of my high expectation.
It felt not so nimble (I suspect maybe because of head size?) which was weird considering it is lighter (yes, in terms of swing weight, too) than my usual racquets.
Balls flied on me (probably changing string and tension would have made a difference but it was a demo), and didn't enjoy the feel that much.
The only real positive was the slice serve.

Roy
02-03-2006, 08:08 PM
My dislike - the "ping" sound. Sounds slightly better with a dampener but still sux.

molybdenum
02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
i use a head smartzorb dampener on my tour and there is absolutely no ping sound. Take away some feel but it makes the racquet feel softer and more comfortable.

prestige18
02-04-2006, 02:25 PM
i liked this racquet, i also was using a pure drive, then switced t this one for one week (as a demo) it played really nicely, but the price is what made me buy something else

datsveryinterestin
02-05-2006, 02:55 PM
the price is what helped my decision with the FXP Tour. I got 2 for the almost the same price as the TW list price.
Price Matching is a pain, but when it saves you that much money.. it's worth it.

( i also demoed a bunch of racquets including the O3 tour, Pure Drive, and the FXP Tour... and the FXP Tour was definitely the most solid of the 3. I recommend it for strong, fit players because it can feel kind of sluggish on an off day, but on a good day... it helps fire blistering fast lasers with amazing precision.)