PDA

View Full Version : Federer's kick serve

vkartikv
01-27-2006, 09:11 AM
For those of you who stayed up late to watch the match, did you see the second serve ace he hit that kicked up above Kiefer's head? His service motion was much different, his back bent to such an extent that it was almost parallel to the ground!

gzhpcu
01-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Roche said he has been working with Roger on his second serve.

tenalyser
01-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Yeah I saw that and it was pretty impressive, reminds me of Pete Sampras he also hit a similar serve in his early days. This also proves that Federer has really been working on his 2nde serve.

SteveI
01-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah I saw that and it was pretty impressive, reminds me of Pete Sampras he also hit a similar serve in his early days. This also proves that Federer has really been working on his 2nde serve.

Hi,

Massive Kick!!! And.. he is always working on his game.. that is why is the best ever.

Regards,
Steve

ta11geese3
01-27-2006, 10:26 AM
It was an ACE??? I only watched the first set... when was it?

tenalyser
01-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes, it was an ace and i think that it was in the 4 set a 4-1 in Federer's favour Federer was leading 40-30

sureshs
01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
For those of you who stayed up late to watch the match, did you see the second serve ace he hit that kicked up above Kiefer's head? His service motion was much different, his back bent to such an extent that it was almost parallel to the ground!

He did that a couple of matches before too. I also noticed his back turn. The serve swung left to right in the air from the ad to the deuce court, then landed just inside the center line, then swung right to left with a huge kick and height.

Marius_Hancu
01-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes, it was an ace and i think that it was in the 4 set a 4-1 in Federer's favour Federer was leading 40-30

No, I guess it was 40-15, 4-1.
2nd serve,
Fed serves a huge kick down the T in the deuce side, wins the point.
This is indeed a new thing for him, he was mainly using the high kick for the ad side.

While the score results are good, I am definitely against Federer using more back and shoulder bend to get more kick.

Look at what happened to Rafter, he was also coached by Roche and needed to go through shoulder surgery as a result of tossing the ball well to the left and somewhat behind himself for the kicker.

Sampras was much more moderate in this respect, his toss was closer to 12 o'clock even for the kicker. Perhaps this is why he lasted much better.

vkartikv
01-27-2006, 11:29 AM
2nd serve,
Fed serves a huge kick down the T in the deuce side, wins the point.
This is indeed a new thing for him, he was mainly using the high kick for the ad side.

While the score results are good, I am definitely against Federer using more back and shoulder bend to get more kick.

Look at what happened to Rafter, he was also coached by Roche and needed to go through shoulder surgery as a result of tossing the ball well to the left and somewhat behind himself for the kicker.

Sampras was much more moderate in this respect, his toss was closer to 12 o'clock even for the kicker. Perhaps this is why he lasted much better.

Instead of moderate, I would use deceptive. It was because his toss was so consistent that it was difficult to read what he was going to do.

@wright
01-27-2006, 11:46 AM
That was a very impressive kick serve. Other than the extra wear and tear on the body that Marius mentioned, it's a great kicker. I hope he uses it at RG alot, it should be very effective on clay.

ATXtennisaddict
01-27-2006, 12:06 PM
maybe i'm wrong but i noticed he hits the ball almost at the top of the throw for his 2nd serve.

aren't you supposed to wait til the ball is falling and hit 'up' on it?

my eyes and memory fail me... :neutral:

Keifers
01-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I can't remember the exact reason, but I think Roger was a little annoyed about something and so put something extra into that serve. By far the most emphatic 2nd serve I've ever seen him hit.

I share the view that he shouldn't risk his long term health and career longevity by hitting too many of these strenuous serves.

Ripper
01-27-2006, 12:34 PM
...his back bent to such an extent that it was almost parallel to the ground!

"Parallel to the ground", yeah right. I'm used to exagerations, when Roger fans talk about their idol's game, but couldn't you just have said that he arched his back more than usual?

vkartikv
01-27-2006, 12:35 PM
"Parallel to the ground", yeah right. I'm used to exagerations, when Roger fans talk about their idol's game, but couldn't you just have said that he arched his back more than usual?

ripper is green with envy...

arosen
01-27-2006, 01:26 PM
If he could hit that kick at will every once in a while, that would be an awesome weapon, especially on a breakpoint second serve.

donnyz89
01-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Hall of fame isnt necesarily about stats i think. I mean, its the hall of FAME. I'm sure there are tons of players with more titles and slams than rafter that are not in the HOF.

ShooterMcMarco
01-27-2006, 03:15 PM
i dont think he was bending his back. i think more "inclined" is a better term. i've seen him toss the same way and incline that much before, but i've never seen the ball jump off the court that way.

Shaolin
01-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Besides the one you guys are talking about, Fed had another massive kick on the ad side that was one of the best Ive seen, Keifer had no play on it. Definitely one of the best kick serves on tour.

Volly master
01-27-2006, 04:41 PM
that was amazing, when i saw it, i was like..how the hell?

dmastous
01-27-2006, 04:46 PM

Not to discount your point. But I've always felt Rafter's shoulder problems stemmed from his bringing the racquet back pointing towards the fence and firing from there.
I used that same type of motion and have since abreviated the back swing and it's taken some of the pressure off the shoulder.

Jonnyf
01-27-2006, 04:47 PM
ok eurosport is replaying the 4th set right now its at 1-1 30-30 so ill keep my eyes out for this kicker

Jonnyf
01-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Whoa That Was Immense

Keifers
01-27-2006, 05:35 PM
i dont think he was bending his back. i think more "inclined" is a better term. i've seen him toss the same way and incline that much before, but i've never seen the ball jump off the court that way.
Just watched it again. The back bend was not severe, but the way he grunted when he hit the ball indicated he was putting extra effert into it, imo.

Not only did it explode off the court (to use PMac's word), it hit the court about half way between the net and the service line, very close to the center line. Shows how much topspin he put on it.

There was a great closeup of Tony Roche right after that serve and he had a nice smile on his face (he rarely smiles). To my eye, it was a smile of both satisfaction and recognition -- I suspect he's seen Roger hit that kind of serve before in practice.

hyperwarrior
01-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Yeah I saw this serve. It was insane!!! It was 4-1 2nd serve!! You can see the ball bounces over Kierfer's head!!

Keifers
01-27-2006, 05:44 PM
And there was a great closeup of Rod Laver in the 7th game of the 5th set.

Roger had just retrieved an overhead from Kiefer, putting it up again. Should have been fairly easy for Kiefer to angle it away (he was close to the net). But he dumped it into the net.

Laver's mouth twitched just a little, with the barest hint of a smile. It was like, "Great defence. He's got him by the throat now, no worries..."