PDA

View Full Version : ___good luck to BAGHDATIS in the Final !!!___

Roger is Boring
01-27-2006, 09:25 AM
I think the best thing to happen to man's tennis would be for marcos the cypriot magician to beat roger the robot in the mens final tomorrow!! good luck to the baghman !!!!!

akj27
01-27-2006, 09:27 AM
Yeah, hell need it

pound cat
01-27-2006, 09:36 AM
much as I would like to see him win I am also happy to see him in the final. He has modelled himself after Pat Rafter...a gentleman on the court, a true sportsman, and his world-wide exposure this week has been a big boost for tennis. It shows that nice guys can finish last...last to stand in a Slam & in the final. A very mature 20 year old and a great role-model for aspiring youngsters.

Great article about his background, & how he got to be the tennis player he is.

From Baghs to riches
By Trevor Grant
January 28, 2006

MARCOS Baghdatis carried little more than a couple of bags, mostly filled with tennis gear, and the wonderment of innocent youth when he left his home in Cyprus seven years ago on a classic boy's own adventure.

At 13 and, with his tennis-mad father's consent, he had put everything else behind him, including his schooling, in a quest to turn his natural gift with a racquet into something far more substantial.

His destination was faraway Paris, where he had received a scholarship to a new tennis academy run by local coach Patrick Mouratoglou.

Suddenly, immersed in one of the world's great cities, it was a daunting existence for a kid who had known only the gentle meanderings of Limassol, a seaside resort with a population of 160,000.

He found himself billeted with a Parisian foster family, which did its best to try to help him assimilate and keep homesickness at bay.

"He was feeling totally lost, leaving his family and country for a place where he knew nobody and didn't even speak the language," Mouratoglou recalled recently.

To help him through this lonely initiation, Baghdatis had indelibly imprinted in his mind a picture of the tennis player, and man, he wanted to become.

He'd just watched Pat Rafter win two successive US Opens, in 1997 and '98, and he was captivated by the Australian's game and personality. He loved his ability to maintain a fierce desire to win grand slams without it preventing him from having fun while he was doing it.

He also enjoyed the way Rafter embraced the crowd with his natural warmth and was never tempted to try to be anyone else but the laconic bloke from Mount Isa.

Advertisement:
"That's me," said the spunky kid from a small Mediterranean island with about 2000 tennis players. Immediately, he set about trying to emulate Rafter, as well as building a game that would be strong and versatile enough for him to win grand slam titles as well.
"I love his game," Baghdatis said this week. "What I also love in Rafter is his look and his attitude and his fair play on the court. He is so charismatic."

In what has been one of the most astonishing surges from relative anonymity to global prominence, 20-year-old Baghdatis now finds himself one match away from being a grand slam winner after defeating three of the world's best, American Andy Roddick, Croat Ivan Ljubicic and Argentine David Nalbandian, at the Open.

And he's done it all by maintaining not just a remarkably high level of tennis but also his charismatic, individual feel for the game and its followers.

Throughout the Open, he has been smothered by love and affection from a band of Greek-Cypriot followers, who sing loud and long during his matches. Back home in Cyprus, where tennis is dwarfed by football for popularity, they've been dancing in the town fountains celebrating his success.

Overnight, he, along with his fans, has provided worldwide tennis with a massive transfusion of fresh, vibrant personality. And what has made it so refreshing is that there is nothing contrived about it.

It's just a young kid and his friends having a ball, and it's infectious.

"I try to be natural, I try to be myself, try to have fun on the court. That's my character. What we see on court is also what I am in my life and with the people that I love," Baghdatis said. But, through it all, he's been careful not to overstep the mark.

When several supporters unfamiliar with tennis traditions started barracking in the wrong places, with the wrong words, he called them together later and gave them a quick course in tennis-watching etiquette. "I told them to keep it down and don't say anything rude," he said.

Even if you are not Greek or Cypriot, it's difficult not to be swept away by the manner in which this young man plays his tennis. From the very start in Paris, he was encouraged to play the way he feels.

Unlike so many of the automatons around him, he has never been subjected to a forensic breakdown of technique. As the credo of his coaching academy states, the objective is to "work for a player's development using his abilities, weapons and personality."

He's got the serve and the groundstrokes, but, above all, he's got the belief.

Before he played Nalbandian in the semi-final, he was asked about the stress that should, by rights, be building in his young, inexperienced mind.

"Everybody has pressure. Everybody's scared. Everybody's human," he said.

"All my career I had pressure. I left home when I was 14 (records show he was 13 1/2) so that helped me take my responsibilities. It was really tough for me because I didn't have any wildcards.

"I had to fight my way through and pass. All the grand slams I played last year were qualies (came through qualifying). I'm really happy because I made a lot of sacrifices.

"I feel that I can control the game and control my life."

One thing he can't control is the emotion back home.

"Marcos has given Cyprus its greatest victory since independence in 1960," Cypriot tennis federation chief Philios Christodoulou said.

One can only marvel at what they might say, or do, if he wins tomorrow night's final.

xanctus
01-27-2006, 12:29 PM
ela re Marcos...opaaaa :D

chess9
01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I'd love to see the Bag Dot win but I'm afraid his time is not now. Another year...maybe.

-Robert
________
MARIJUANA (http://marijuanahemp.com)

pero
01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
go marcos....

Californication
01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
I've loved Baghdatis since I saw him win in juniors in 2003. I'll be pulling hard for Marcos when he faces Roger, and I think he can pull it off. Roger hasn't looked as invincible as he has in the past, having been pushed to the limit by both Haas and Davydenko and having dropped a set to Kiefer. Nerves probably won't be a factor with the loud Greek crowd in the stands to relax him. Go Marcos!

Turning Pro
01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Baghdatis > Federer

Rickson
01-27-2006, 01:31 PM
I think the best thing to happen to man's tennis would be for marcos the cypriot magician to beat roger the robot in the mens final tomorrow!! good luck to the baghman !!!!!
Marcos has a hot chick and Roger has Mirka. Marcos has a whole country rooting for him and Roger has the neutral Switzerland. Give Roger a break, if he doesn't have his grand slam titles, he doesn't have much. Roger Federer will win in straight sets.