PDA

View Full Version : Ace 18 + TiMo 18 Hybrid

Ripper
01-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm trying this. Ace crosses + TiMo mains. Ace has been described by some here as mushy (by poly standards). While TiMo has been described by many as harsh. Furthermore, many have said that TiMo's harshness is the price to be paid for the exceptional control it provides. So, I'm thinking (hoping) that Ace will soften TiMo a bit. Do you think I'm going to feel a difference?

Gaines Hillix
01-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Personally, I'd save some money and hybrid the TiMo with a solid core syn guy if my objective was to soften up the TiMo or a much softer and cheaper poly like Rab Monoflex or Prince Poly Gut.

Ash Doyle
01-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Do you think I'm going to feel a difference?

No. I think people are getting carried away with hybrids. Mixing types of string (poly and gut, syn and poly, etc.) can sometimes give you something that a full set of one can't, but when you start mixing strings of the same type I think you are going too far and just mixing sets without a good understanding of hybrid stringjobs.

Ripper
01-27-2006, 10:05 AM
No. I think people are getting carried away with hybrids. Mixing types of string (poly and gut, syn and poly, etc.) can sometimes give you something that a full set of one can't, but when you start mixing strings of the same type I think you are going too far and just mixing sets without a good understanding of hybrid stringjobs.

Oh yeah? Well, Luxilon doesn't seem to agree with you, because they sell their very own "all-monofilament" hybrids such as these:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-ALUTOUCH16.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-TTOUCH18.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACFORTEN-BBACETCH18.html

Edit: Unless you're saying this, because, both Ace and TiMo are from the same "Big Banger" line... But, still, they're different enough, so as to make a real hybrid out of them, IMHO...

chess9
01-27-2006, 12:04 PM
One of my ROKs is strung with Timo. It's very accurate string for an 18x20 pattern. It may be a bit stiff to some, but I love it. The ball goes where you hit it, that's all I know. :)

By the way, I mixed a Gosen poly with some aramid 18 and broke a string in about 3 hours. The poly broke. I also have a ZO sweet hybrid set up on one of my Fischer racquets and have decided it's just not as nice as 17 gauge gut or one of the fine gauge polys.

-Robert
________
Wendie 99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Radical Shot
01-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Go for it. I think this is a good experiment and would love to hear the results. I have used TiMo and Ace quite a bit and love the way Ace feels. It is very soft, however it loses tension after about 10 hours of hard hitting. This could be the best hybrid ever...please post your findings. Thanks.

Roy
02-15-2006, 09:05 AM
To Ripper,

Pls. share the result of your experiment with us.

I am interested in finding out.

Many thanks.

Rabbit
02-15-2006, 09:21 AM
I think Gaines offerred the best advice. If you're going to hybrid TIMO or Ace, put it in the mains and a synthetic in the crosses. I'd start off with your favorite mono synthetic gut. That will soften it up more than you'd think.

devilish_duke
02-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Ace is not exactly soft... I used a full job once and it wrecked my right forearm somethin fierce. I definitely recommend the hybrid set up.

Radical Shot
02-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Ripper, what's the verdict? Have you tried it yet? I'm keen to know.

andyroddick's mojo
02-16-2006, 08:11 PM
yes, maybe you could e-mail us a review, if you have time. I would SO appreciate it, since I'm deciding between luxilon strings. timo+ace, theoretically, sounds perfect. my e-mail is andydeniedyou@gmail.com, in case you do write a review and I forget to check this thread. Thanks for sharing!

tennis_nerd22
02-18-2006, 12:44 PM
ya, plz post your results ripper. btw, im going to try hurricane mains (26 kg) and ace crosses (24.5 kg). ive never had arm problems, since im only 15, but i can let you guys know how trying those two poly's works out

ace of spades
02-18-2006, 04:08 PM
I dont see the value in a poly/poly hybrid. Do a poly/mulit, poly/gut or poly/syn gut or if your feelin hot, gut/poly. Do something like timo 18/forten sweet. If you stick with hybrids like these poly/poly setups, your arm wallet will thank you.

Also why do you think you never hear about poly/poly setups?
-Because they could no longer type since their arms fell off at the courts.

tennis_nerd22
02-18-2006, 04:29 PM
well good, then if it works (meaning no arm problems but good playing and stuff), ill be a lucky genious, and if it doesnt, then ill find something else.

also, i cant buy anything too expensive, otherwise i would've gotten gut, probably babolat. but i need something that has great spin, average control (because i already have good control), power, and DURABILITY. so hopefully arm problems wont be a problem

Ripper
02-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Ripper, what's the verdict? Have you tried it yet? I'm keen to know.

Decided to, first, try the Alu Power + Supersense hybrid. I'm stringing it tomorow.

andyroddick's mojo
02-27-2006, 09:11 PM
so how's the that hybrid going? i was also looking into that hybrid, but its kinda expensive if i have to string it once a month.