PDA

View Full Version : Feel of the Tour 90 with more forgiveness/power?

garbage
06-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I currently use the Tour 90 and really like the feel of the racquet. I am able to generate enough power on the forehand, but my weaker top spin backhand side tends to just sit up while my slice backhand is very inconsistent on this frame. I probably also need a bit more forgiveness.

I'm wanting to find out if there are any racquets with a solid feel like the Tour 90 but with a slightly larger sweetspot and slightly more power?

I have tried the following racquets:

- ProKennex Kinetic 7g: didn't feel that stable and the funny noise created by the racquet made it sound like it wasn't coming off the sweetspot.
- ProKennex Core1 #10: a bit too head heavy for my liking and the wood core felt a bit too harsh. It almost felt like I was hitting with a cricket bat.
- my girlfriend's Volkl Catapult 3: obviously over-powered, but the stability was nice.

I've also just picked up a Dunlop 300g demo. Others I'm considering are the Volkl Tour 8, Volkl Tour 8 V-Engine. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Han.

tennisnoob
06-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi Han,

I know how you feel pertaining to your Tour 90, I've felt that the Tour 90 was too heavy at the throat and very clumsy at the net for volleys, worse still when I tried to compensate by adding lead tape to the grip which I thought will make it more headlight but in the end i ended up with a racket with a totally screwed up feel that I wanted to smash on the ground! Now I've switched back to my pro staff 85 original and have decided this is still the ultimate racket for me. In your case, you mentioned Dunlop 300G, which I feel is a world of a difference in terms of weight compared to Tour 90 and I've demoed before and it is just plainly too unstable. I think what you need is a tweener's racket, maybe you can try Babalot pure control zylon, its very comfortable for the arm but simply too powerful of a racket for me, perhaps you might want to give it a try.....

jings
06-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Garbage, sounds as though you're a shoe in for the n-code when it arrives.

JSummers
06-08-2004, 08:43 PM
One of those Estusas might work.
e.g.PBB:
10pts HL, 12.2O, SW=309, 92SqIn, Pwr(review)=68
v.s.
Tour90:
9pts HL, 12.7O, SW=332, 90SqIn, Pwr(review)=58

kninetik
06-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Definately agree on that Estusa PBB. It says 92 on paper but it feels like Im playing with a much larger headsize. Definately more "forgiveness" if that is your main concern. Also, I tend to get more spin with the PBB compared to Tour90.

phat
06-08-2004, 09:45 PM
May be Pro kennex core 1 #6 will answer your call.

garbage
06-08-2004, 10:26 PM
I've read the review on the Estusa PBB on TW and it does sound quite impressive. I am concerned that the racquet might be too advanced for me as it states NTRP 5.0 - 6.0. I have no idea what my rating is as we do not have these ratings in Australia. Is there anyway I can find out how I rate?

Han.

Coda
06-08-2004, 10:55 PM
don't worry about what rating it recommends if you can physically handle the weight.

galain
06-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Garbage

From what I can work out, a high pennant level here would be around your NRTP 6.0+. I think. It's somewhere in the vicinity I'd say. A strong A grade player would be around the 5.0 mark.

I agree with Coda - who cares what your rating is as long as you have something you can use well? The guy I beat in the final of my local comp last season uses a Head TiS2 and he certainly makes it work well for him.

garbage
06-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi Galain,

I think I'm probably around the 4.0 - 4.5 level then assuming the standards in Sydney are similar to Melbourne (solid groundstrokes, weak-ish backhand, solid first serve, weak-ish second serve). The best player in our comp was at one stage attempting to go into satellite tournaments. He beat my partner 6-4.

I think you're right. I can handle the weight of the Tour 90 which I believe is a touch heavier than the PBB. I hope I can find somewhere that demos these racquets in Australia.

Han.

destan
06-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Tour 90 Asian version?
It is lighter (313g unstrung), easy at the net, and the feel of PS 6.0.

garbage
06-09-2004, 03:56 AM
I can't say for sure, but by my judgment, it is as heavy as the US version. I did have a look at the version they were selling in Japan and it was definitely lighter than the one I bought in Australia (360g strung).

Han.

garbage
06-09-2004, 04:25 AM
What's the serving capabilities of the Estusa Power Beam Braided? If anyone's played with both PBB and Tour 90, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts especially.

Han.

06-09-2004, 05:24 AM
try a Fischer Pro Extreme FT: 12.1 strung, 10 points HL, 16 x18, 95, SW 316, RA 65. Defintinely more stable and forgiving than the Tour 90 with more pop overall and great spin. Is 27.2" long (measured) but doesn't play long.

Kick Serve
06-09-2004, 05:58 AM
The Estusa won't provide much power on the serve. It's very similar to the Tour 90 in that respect. It will, however, produce plenty of spin and control.