PDA

View Full Version : Roddick plays the qualies at Delray Beach!

Moose Malloy
01-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Wow, I'm impressed. Can't imagine anyone of his ranking/accomplishments would ever even consider doing this:

The Delray Beach draw has grown even deeper with the addition of another former World No. 1. Third-ranked Andy Roddick, who was bounced out of the Australian Open in the fourth round by Cyprus sensation Marcos Baghdatis will try to bounce back this weekend when he competes in the qualifying draw for the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

The tournament which already features former No. 1 Andre Agassi, James Blake, Robby Ginepri, Tommy Haas, defending champion Xavier Malisse and Mardy Fish in its main draw did not have a wild card available for Roddick, so he will play qualifying this weekend to earn a spot in the main draw.

"I spoke to Andy and he requested a wild card and he understands that I didnt have one to give," said tournament director Mark Baron, who gave Roddick a wild card into his first ATP tournament in 2000 and one in 2001 as well. "He is playing the qualies because he wants match play, it's his hometown and it works for him."

Delray Beach officials awarded their three wild cards to Agassi, Fish and Sargis Sargsian, who announced his retirement from tournament tennis last year, but is returning to play the ITC.

The tournament begins on Monday at the Delray Beach Stadium & Tennis Center in Delray Beach, Florida. The 2003 U.S. Open champion will be the top seed in the Delray Beach ITC qualifying tournament, which will be contested tomorrow and Sunday. Saturday's rounds begin at 10 a.m., while Sunday's play begins at noon. Admission is free for both days of qualifying play.

It will be Roddick's fifth Delray Beach appearance. He reached the 2002 tournament final, falling to Davide Sanguinetti, 4-6, 6-4, 4-6. He is 4-3 in singles play, and partnered with Jan-Michael Gambill in 2001 to win the doubles crown.

Roddick could play as many as two matches tomorrow, depending on the number of players who sign up to play in the 32-man qualifying draw. Entry deadline for qualifying is 9 p.m. tonight. If less than 32 players enter, he would receive a bye in the first round. A final match would come on Sunday at noon.

It will be Roddick's first qualifying appearance since the fall of 2000 when at age 18 he qualified for a Challenger in Austin, Texas, shortly after beating Ginepri to capture the U.S. Open junior title. Roddick went on to beat then 161st-ranked Michael Russell, 6-4, 6-4, to take the Austin title.

The last time a qualifier was seeded in a main draw of an ATP event came in May of 1995 when Frenchman Arnaud Boetsch was the No. 5 seed in Bologna.

Should Roddick qualify for the Delray Beach ITC main draw, he would be the top seed in the tournament (Agassi would be seeded second), and the highest qualifier ever seeded in an ATP event. Goran Ivanisevic currently holds that distinction.

The tournament's main draw will be held Sunday following qualifying rounds, which would ensure Roddick would not face a seed in the opening round. If tournament officials conducted the main draw before qualifying play was complete, Roddick could theoretically draw a seed. ATP rules state "The Tournament shall publicly make the singles draw no earlier than 12 noon Eastern Time, USA, on Friday prior to the Monday of the Tournament week and no later than 10 p.m. local time two (2) days before the first day's play, unless the Tournament receives prior written permission from the ATP."

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=14625&bannerregion=

Tchocky
01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
I hope Baghdatis and/or Gilles Muller aren't in Andy's side of the draw.

Max G.
01-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Wow, interesting turn of events...

Fee
01-27-2006, 11:01 AM

haha, but Baghdatis isn't playing here.

skip1969
01-27-2006, 11:31 AM
might drive up and check those qualies!

vkartikv
01-27-2006, 11:32 AM

The list of people who beat him is only growing by the day...

@wright
01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
It's a shame that friggin' Mardy "who?" Fish is getting a wild card and Andy couldn't get one. It's fair because Mardy requested one first, but still seems funny. I was wondering if Mardy Fish even still plays tennis.

Fee
01-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Mardy had wrist surgery after the USO in September. He wasn't out long enough to qualify for a protected ranking. Delray is his first tournament back. I can see giving Mardy Fish a wildcard, but I'd sure like an explanation for Sarge Sargisian's that doesn't include the words 'his buddy Agassi twisted our arms.'

@wright
01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I'd definitely agree with that too. Sarge hasn't earned the wild card any more than Mardy has.

Cigo
01-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Maybe it's a good thing for Roddick. He gets to 'beat up' on players he knows he should beat. Good for his confidence. This of cource can backfire if he gets beaten.

ATXtennisaddict
01-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Good for roddick.

vllockhart
01-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Shocking turn of events!

yourserve
01-27-2006, 01:44 PM
someone will get to play him at a point in their career that they probably thought they wouldn't get this oppurtunity. could be a great experience
for some young player.

Ben42
01-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Good for him. He could use the match play and the pressure and I'm glad to see he's not letting his pride get in the way.

Volly master
01-27-2006, 01:53 PM
haha at first i was like "NOO WAYY", but then i learned the reason, and then i was like "okay, now that makes sense".

when i saw the title, i thought some tournament wanted him to work the hardway and win a the tournament by beating the guys in the quillies., but haha you cant always get what you want.

but i think andy is playing wayyyyyyyyy to much right now, i saw this shedule and it looks really packed, ---> by miami, he will be dead tired.

Fee
01-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Potential qualie opponents:

Amer Delic
Rajeev Ram
Zack Fleishman
Jeff Morrison
Brian Vahaly
Glenn Weiner
Alex Bogomolov
Gambill (think he 's injured though)
Horia Tecau

(educated guess based on who lost in the early rounds of the Hawaii Challenger)

Max G.
01-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, I figure giving Sargsian a wildcards was along the lines of:

a) he's one of the people who requested one.
b) he used to be pretty good, but had a really bad year last year - I don't know whether injuries were involved or not.
c) they felt that he would be a better use of a wildcard than any of the other people who had requested one up until that time.

Really, it's a question of "who did they reject in favor of Sargsian."

(Roddick only asked for one after they had been given out - it's not like they can rescind a wildcard that they've already given.)

arosen
01-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Wow, I want to see those qualies, free admission to see top 10 player! Awesome!

simi
01-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Wow, I want to see those qualies, free admission to see top 10 player! Awesome!

That's what I was thinking. It's going to be a crowded weekend over there. Good on Andy, getting in some much needed match play. Remember, he hasn't has much since the USO. No knock on him. Andre played a challenger back when his rating went down the toilet and he needed some confidence building matches.

Fee
01-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Well, I figure giving Sargsian a wildcards was along the lines of:

a) he's one of the people who requested one.
b) he used to be pretty good, but had a really bad year last year - I don't know whether injuries were involved or not.
c) they felt that he would be a better use of a wildcard than any of the other people who had requested one up until that time.

Really, it's a question of "who did they reject in favor of Sargsian."

(Roddick only asked for one after they had been given out - it's not like they can rescind a wildcard that they've already given.)

No, I think Agassi 'convinced' them to do it, pure and simple. Sarge announced his retirement from professional tennis at the USO last year.

Moose Malloy
01-27-2006, 03:32 PM
So is this a fulltime comeback for Sarge, or what? why would he even want to play otherwise?

Regardless, they should do whatever Agassi wants. He's probably the biggest name that's ever played there.

Noelle
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Prior to this turn of events, I think Andy had held the distinction of not having ever played qualifying rounds of ATP tour events. He'd always been given wildcards since he turned pro.

Noelle
01-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Apparently, Andy didn't sign up for the qualifying draw, which was made an hour ago. He's not on the Delray Beach website anymore.

http://www.atptennis.com/delraybeach/

Fee
01-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Yep,. draw is out and he's not on it.

Glad he changed his mind, to be honest. He has a lot scheduled for the next two months, he did not need to play here.

Noelle
01-27-2006, 07:50 PM
False alarm, according to AR.com.

http://www.andyroddick.com/update-andy-will-not-be-playing-delray-beach-tournament/

MARK ANDERS
01-27-2006, 09:27 PM
At least his selfish self didn't take a spot now from a player who needs it. The qualies are NOT meant for top players!

35ft6
01-28-2006, 04:07 AM
^ Yeah, his selfishness would have meant tons of extra money and exposure for the tournament, which would help the local economy, but whatever.

Marius_Hancu
01-28-2006, 04:24 AM
False alarm, according to AR.com.

http://www.andyroddick.com/update-andy-will-not-be-playing-delray-beach-tournament/

backing off?

Noelle
01-28-2006, 06:59 AM
He was considering it, but never committed. It seems that someone inside the tourney organization messed up and released incorrect information.

Anyway, he's got a lot of tournaments coming up with no week of rest between them, so entering Delray Beach would have been a bit ill-advised even though it would give him some match play before the Davis Cup tie.

Dan007
01-28-2006, 07:04 AM
backing off?

Nope. He just wants to get ready for Davis Cup.

boughtmypoints
01-28-2006, 07:16 AM
I would have applauded Roddick playing qualies ... nothing untoward with a top player doing so. It would have boosted his cred among the ATP rank and file, for sure. Forget this nonsense about denying another player a spot in the qualie draw. Tennis is dog eat dog, period.

The T.D. showed some backbone in not clawing back one of the 2 possible "available" w.c.'s. Someone correctly pointed out that Andre wanted his pal Sarge in the draw, so that made the 3rd w.c. untouchable. Probably just as strong stories for the others, too.

At Futures and occasionally Challenger level, it is relatively common for a high ranked player to qualify for the m.d. as the # 1 seed.

Now let's see if he signs in for doubs ...

Noelle
01-28-2006, 07:33 AM
At Futures and occasionally Challenger level, it is relatively common for a high ranked player to qualify for the m.d. as the # 1 seed.Note that this is only in cases where the high-ranked player has signified his intent to enter the tournament before the entry list is finalized. In Roddick's case it was too late.

vllockhart
01-28-2006, 07:35 AM
He's not playing. Decided against it. It should be James Blake's tourney to win.

Noelle
01-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Blake also withdrew from Delray Beach.

It's Vince Spadea's to win, for sure. :p

MARK ANDERS
01-28-2006, 05:33 PM
35ft6, AH, He didn't do it to help the tourney and he still would have taken a spot from one who really needs it, learn LOGIC.

smiley
01-28-2006, 05:39 PM
there was a small article published in the sunday telegraph...apart form the fact that its wrong...its kinda funny:

ANDY AIMS TO QUALIFY

Andy Roddick has entered the two-day qualifying tournament for the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships, hoping to sharpen his game after a disappointing Australian OPen.
The event is so low-key that admission is free. Should Roddick reach the main draw, he would be seeded No 1 - the highest ever for a qualifier in an ATP Tour event.

PMSL!

go_nadal
01-28-2006, 05:44 PM
there was a small article published in the sunday telegraph...apart form the fact that its wrong...its kinda funny:

ANDY AIMS TO QUALIFY

Andy Roddick has entered the two-day qualifying tournament for the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships, hoping to sharpen his game after a disappointing Australian OPen.
The event is so low-key that admission is free. Should Roddick reach the main draw, he would be seeded No 1 - the highest ever for a qualifier in an ATP Tour event.

PMSL!
lol! thats hilarious.

smiley
01-28-2006, 05:45 PM
lol! thats hilarious.
my thoughts exactly!