PDA

View Full Version : Michael Chaho Reviews The Head Flexpoint PRESTIGE Mid Plus

Pro_Tour_630
01-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I just got a hold of a Flexpoint Prestige MP in 3/8th and will be giving it a test drive this weekend. Stay tuned where all shall be revealed. Will it match up to the GOAT Pro Tour 630 or will it melt like the LiquideMetal Prestige MP.

Sixpointone
01-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks Michael,

I look forward to hearing your review on this latest generation Head Prestige.

Regards,
John

Richie Rich
01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Be interesting to see what you think. I've hit with the midplus too (had it for about 2 weeks now) and have my post ready to go.

Ronaldo
01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
MC, any reason why the PT 630 feels so solid without vibration and the PT 280 does not?

Bora
01-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Oh, Lord! Here we go again.

kreative
01-27-2006, 01:47 PM
hey michael, nice to see you around the boards again. look forward to hearing your review.

Richie Rich
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Que??????????????????

El Diablo
01-27-2006, 02:28 PM
A rather misleading title to this post. How about "Michael Chaho has nothing to say yet but will say something anyway."

McGee
01-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Just post the frikkin review when you have it. What's with the movie star thing?

Court_Jester
01-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Talk about a big misnomer! The title claims that it has the review but then you find out that there isn't any. In our circle, this is what we call "vaporware." Just go to this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78724&highlight=flexpoint+prestige) to read AndrewD's first impressions of the racquet.

emerckx53
01-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Who's Michael Chaho?

Deuce
01-27-2006, 11:43 PM

That was quite funny. Had me laughing...

BreakPoint
01-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Who's Michael Chaho?

The Roger Ebert of tennis racquets? ;) LOL

Radical Shot
01-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Who's Michael Chaho?

Exactly. Very funny. Good post.

kreative
01-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Who's Michael Chaho?

local guru of the pt 280/630, prestige mp series, and most racquets w/ a midplus 95-98" headsize, 18x20 pattern.

emerckx53
01-28-2006, 03:01 PM
The Roger Ebert of tennis racquets? ;) LOL

Ahhh......I see. In that case I can't wait for the show to start...:D

Pro_Tour_630
01-29-2006, 05:59 AM
I see that the boards have not changed since I have been away, ******* contests as usual, oh well........ thanks.

This is a quick link to my three Head Flexpoint Prestiges.

http://www.freewebs.com/chaho/index.htm

All three Flexpoint Prestiges came strung with Head FXP 17g at mid tension, mid and midplus were 3/8, XL was 1/2

Specs: with original grip and no dampner.

Flexpoint Prestige Mid: 340 grams, 32.25cm balance

Flexpoint Prestige MidPlus: 330 grams, 32.25cm balance

Flexpoint Prestige MP XL: 342 grams, 32.75cm balance

General Comments on all three.

All Flexpoint Prestiges are Made in China

All Flexpoint Prestiges still have liquideMetal and raised ridges on the inside.

All Flexpoint Prestiges still has that cheap light plasticy feeling CAPS, unlike the originals found on classics.

All Flexpoint Prestige Caps narrowed )( at 3/9 around "dimple" area.

All Flexpoint Prestiges have L6 swing ratings, strangely, the XL swings heavier of the three due to higher weight and balance. Maybe because the grip was 1/2 but usually XL's are more head light in general, but in the Flexpoint Prestige XL case it is more head heavy than the mid and midplus by .5 cm.

All Flexpoint Prestiges are very well painted and the white grip feels nice.

Anyway, will give detailed reveiw on all three when I get back from the court.

I am affraid you have to wait few more hours to find out, oh the suspense....... I can't take it :-)

FormerPro
01-29-2006, 02:30 PM
What are the 3 head sizes?

OnyxZ28
01-29-2006, 02:47 PM
93, 98 and 98.

Pro_Tour_630
01-29-2006, 06:30 PM
I only had two hours to test three racquets and did not play a full set with each, so my review is not fully complete yet.

Groundies:

FP Prestige Mid felt soild but it is still does not have the magice feel of the Prestige mid classics/tours. Swing was very pleasant and much better than the LM prestige mid. It is the closest you can get to the PC600. Of the three Flexpoint Prestiges, I like this one the most on groundies.

FP Prestige MidPlus was better than the LM prestige MP but it felt short from the solid feel of the PT630. Forehands of the PT630 feel as nice as the PC600. There was less jarring then the LM prestige MP. FP prestige MP is closer to PT 630 but with a little added weight and tinkering I think I might be able to make it even more closer. Mind you that my grip set up, string/tension on my PT630 are different than the test/demo models. I really would like to give it more time and match them to exact specs to really give you a much better assesment. But so far the FP prestige Mid Plus looks promissing.

FP prestige MidPlus XL was the sluggish one of the three. Mass concentrated on the throat area ala LM radical tours. In addition, it was the heaviest and the most head heavy of the three. You can really punish the ball but it was too powerfull for my tast. I liked it the least on groundies.

Volleys:

FP prestige Mid again was very soild and crisp but the feel was not there like the Prestige tour mid. OTOH, It was better than LM prestige mid.

FP prestige MidPlus was very nice on volley, better than PT630, there :-), The MidPlus was very maneuverable at net yet solid and my shots were deep. I like FP presstige MP the most on volleys

FP prestige MidPlus XL was sluggish on volley, even though it had more reach I felt that I needed more effort to get to the ball and put it away. This was my least favorite.

Serves:

FP prestige Mid was ok on serves but I liked it the least of the three FP prestiges.

FP prestige MidPlus was very nice on serves with lots of kick and stable first serves unlike the LM prestige MidPlus. I would say it is the closest to the PT630 if not better second kick serves.

FP prestige MidPlus XL was the best of the three FP prestiges on first and second serves. I could bounce the ball 5 feet above my opponents head on first and second serves.

Overall:

I would chose the FP prestige MidPlus. It did not feel tinny and hollow as the LM prestige Midplus which is why they/Head have replaced it in one year. It is the closest to my current racquet the PT630 but I dont think I am ready to give up my groundies for better volleys, although I could use the better second kick serve as well. If I were a serve and volleyer then I would switch. But for now my first serve bombs and my powerfull forehands are my bread and butter so I can not compromise them unless I change my game.

Conclusion:

Flexpoint technology is nice and you can feel a little bit of dwell time but you can achieve that by tweaking your string and tension. Overall, I can feel the stiffness on the throat area which still bothers me. It all goes back to where you like the flex? on the head or the throat? and to me, I not only like the flex at the throat but at the handle as well which is not found on the new Flexpoint prestiges. Improvements can be made around the bridge area as well as the handle.

Hope this helps and look out for an even more detailed review where two matched with identical specs Flexpoint Prestige Midplus V.S Pro Tour 630 are put to the test.

tandayu
01-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Thank you for the review.

Let me know if you ready to give up your PT630.

Go Tennis
01-30-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm not a tibbetan monk, but my high age teatcher me something. When you review a racket, as the Flexpoint Prestige, you need to forget about other rackets, as the PC 600 or the PT 630. You need to be focus only in the stick that you're reviewing, like it was the only racket in the world and how the racket do the job of playing tennis. Anyway, Michael Chaho, it is a very good review.

djones
01-30-2006, 02:37 AM
FP prestige MidPlus XL was the best of the three FP prestiges on first and second serves. I could bounce the ball 5 feet above my opponents head on first and second serves.

I wish I could bounce the ball 5 feet above my opponents head:-)!

And why don't they put leather grips on the new Prestige models?

Richie Rich
01-30-2006, 03:10 AM

i would take this comment with a grain of salt. i'm 6 feet and have had no one, not even challenger level players kick a serve 5 feet over my head. at my head but not over it

BLiND
01-30-2006, 04:38 AM
93, 98 and 98.

Make that ~90", 95" & 95" :-)

Pro_Tour_630
01-30-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm not a tibbetan monk, but my high age teatcher me something. When you review a racket, as the Flexpoint Prestige, you need to forget about other rackets, as the PC 600 or the PT 630. You need to be focus only in the stick that you're reviewing, like it was the only racket in the world and how the racket do the job of playing tennis. Anyway, Michael Chaho, it is a very good review.

I think the 100Million $ question is if the Flexpoint Prestige lives up to the "prestige" name, one can't help but compare it to its predecessors, but in general you are right, one ought to be very objective and try not to let other outside factors influence the test.

i would take this comment with a grain of salt. i'm 6 feet and have had no one, not even challenger level players kick a serve 5 feet over my head. at my head but not over it

RR, you have not tried the FP XL, when you do, try bombing first serves and you will see that not only the angle of contact at 12 gives the extra pop but the heaft and the extra 1/2 inch make a big difference on serves. 5 feet is maybe too much but what I am trying to say is the the XL has a bigger pop/bounce than the standard MP serves.

Make that ~90", 95" & 95"

or 92, 97, 97

I did not give obvious specs like length, head size, string pattern in my review, but general specs did not change from previous models, however flex is the key question that needs to be addessed. THE FLEXPOINT PRESTIGES ARE A BIT STIFF ( ABOVE 60) AND HOLLOW AT THE SHAFT V THROAT , IT IS THE HOLES AT 3/9 THAT ARE MAKING THE HEAD FLEX TO BELOW 60.

Let me know if you ready to give up your PT630.

Not yet, I need to return the three FP for now and tweak out my FP Prestige MP, it would be in the spring when I have played matches with it before I can decide.

scez
01-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Richie Rich I belive you live in Toronto, if so can you please tell me how you have gotten the flexpoint prestige.

Richie Rich
01-30-2006, 09:00 AM
RR, you have not tried the FP XL, when you do, try bombing first serves and you will see that not only the angle of contact at 12 gives the extra pop but the heaft and the extra 1/2 inch make a big difference on serves. 5 feet is maybe too much but what I am trying to say is the the XL has a bigger pop/bounce than the standard MP serves.

no disagreement with you re extended length racquets (i use one now and notice better angle of attack on the serve)

BTW, i found the FXP MP better at serving than the LMP MP by a long shot. in fact, almost everything felt better with the FXP vs LMP. however, racquet is a little flexy for my taste - maybe the FX working? i dunno since i'm not a huge beleiver in all the marketing hype.

djones
01-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Richie Rich I belive you live in Toronto, if so can you please tell me how you have gotten the flexpoint prestige.

yeah, I'd like to know too!
Passed it on to me if you like:-)

Craig Sheppard
01-30-2006, 09:43 AM
I see that the boards have not changed since I have been away, ******* contests as usual, oh well........ thanks.

Yeah, same ol same ol... oh well. My question is though, do you pronounce your last name:

chA-ho (w/ the ch from choose and long A)
chah-ho (w/ the ch from choose and the a from pasta)
chA-ho (w/ the ch from "Chicago" & long A)
chah-ho (w/ the ch from "Chicago" & a from pasta)
kay-ho (w/ a hard "c" and a long A)
kah-ho (w/ a hard "c" and an a like ah or pasta)

it's always bugged me... which is it? ;-)

Richie Rich
01-30-2006, 10:59 AM

just gotta know the right people ;) racquet should be out soon so you don't have long to wait.

Pro_Tour_630
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM
it is chA-ho (w/ the ch from "Chicago" & long A) but if you are a chicano then you will pronounce "chicago" like Ch from choose ;-) seriously, it was francophonized!?! because it should be written as shaho, like all shah's meaning king http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shah but it is pronounced and written in french like the word cat as chat or hat chapeaux, the ending O is a Syriac ending like ian is assyrian/armenian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac hope this helps

FormerPro
01-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Played the Flepoint Prestige MidPlus (98) today. Very solid frame, hefty without sacrificing mobility. Great player's frame.

Fantoro
01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Played with FXP Prestige MP todayand was very impressed also...very stable, good control, excellent volleys and serves (reminded me of the i-prestige a little for flat serves)...anyway will buy a couple - as they are for sale already here in OZ -

Richie Rich
01-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Played with FXP Prestige MP todayand was very impressed also...very stable, good control, excellent volleys and serves (reminded me of the i-prestige a little for flat serves)...anyway will buy a couple - as they are for sale already here in OZ -

funny you should mention the i.prestige. i thought about that racquet too when i was hitting with the fxp and actually preferred the extra stiffness and power of the i.prestige. but that's just my preference. anyway, the fxp feels miles better than the LMP.

Fantoro
01-31-2006, 08:53 PM
Richie,

Yes, I too ,miss my I-prestiges and couldn't agree more with the flex and power differences - And yes, too with the comparison with the LM...

You mentionned in an earlier thread that you had your review ready to go after M. Chaho had his posted. Care to share with me your additional thoughts on the FXP Pres MP?

william
02-01-2006, 07:20 AM
I don't know whether it's the angle but to me in the pictures of the butcaps the grip shape looks a little less oblong.

william
02-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Also there is a dip like in prince rackets to open the bottom of the buttcap so you can customise

scez
02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
just gotta know the right people ;) racquet should be out soon so you don't have long to wait.
But I dont wanna wait :p Just out of curiosity, is your connection a store,teaching pro, person, or are you agassi in disguise.