PDA

View Full Version : Yannick Noah's son is playing pretty well

Moose Malloy
01-27-2006, 12:34 PM
for Florida, they're 17-2. He's a sophmore, averaging 12.4 per game, 6.3 rebounds.
Looks like he's got those athletic Noah genes. Here's a pic:

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php?year=2004&m=&bio=noah.html

Californication
01-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Yeah an article ran in SI last week about Joakim. He and his dad are best friends, unlike another famous college basketball son, Maryland point guard DJ Strawberry who despises his father Darryl. Joakim is a rebounding machine and has been huge in Florida's torrid start. He is gonna be a great player in the NBA.

Moose Malloy
01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Does Yannick live in the US? Wondering if he attends games.

Californication
01-27-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't know, I think Noah lives in New York now though.

dmastous
01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Yannick is a pop star in Europe right now. He has 2 CDs released. I don't know how he has faired on the charts, but he sells out concerts all over now. I saw him when he was inducted in Newport. In his speech he said he almost didn't make it because of flight problems. He had a concert in Africa I think and another one the next night.
His son also attended the ceremony. He said he was proud of him and was glad to be able to show his son that he actually did accomplish something in life.:p

johnathan smith
01-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Go Gators!!!! <<<<

Moose Malloy
03-02-2006, 01:22 PM
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- With his father and grandfather watching from the stands, Joakim Noah put on quite a show.

The sophomore forward had a career-high 37 points and 11 rebounds Wednesday night, helping No. 17 Florida beat Georgia 77-66 and snap a three-game losing streak.

Noah scored on layups, dunks, putbacks, even a baseline drive. He was 19-of-22 from the free throw line, breaking Neal Walk's school record for free throws made. Walk made 18 in 1968.

In short, the Bulldogs had no answer for the 6-foot-11 son of tennis great Yannick Noah.

"He carried our team offensively, no question," coach Billy Donovan said.

Noah came off the bench for the first time this season as Florida's lone senior, Adrian Moss, started his final home game. But Noah provided an instant spark, picking up the slack when center Al Horford sustained a hip pointer early.

Noah drew a foul and made both free throws for the team's first points. He rolled from there, draining his first 12 free throws.

He was 9-of-14 from the field and scored the most points by a Florida player since Vernon Delancy had 38 against Alabama in 1981.

He did it with his 69-year-old grandfather, Zacharie Noah, watching him play for the first time. He traveled from Cameroon to attend Florida's home finale.

"It probably would have been very depressing if we would have lost this game," said Noah, who has made significant strides since his freshman season. "You feel like you're floating when you're out there. When you're family's out there, it's just extra inspiration."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap;_ylt=AgR0E8u2r6M0JBDFT0G4yx3evbYF?gid=200603 010210&prov=ap

katarddx
03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Yannick is a pop star in Europe right now. He has 2 CDs released. I don't know how he has faired on the charts, but he sells out concerts all over now. I saw him when he was inducted in Newport. In his speech he said he almost didn't make it because of flight problems. He had a concert in Africa I think and another one the next night.
His son also attended the ceremony. He said he was proud of him and was glad to be able to show his son that he actually did accomplish something in life.:p
yeah, nice mix with a lot of "french" reagge (spelling?). I kind of like it!

jamauss
03-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I attended the Tennis Hall of Fame induction ceremonies last July when they inducted Yannick. His son was there with him and when they came out together I was like "dayyum who is that tall kid with him?" His son is huge.

VGP
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
6'11" 227 lbs

yeah, huge.

Donnie Darko
03-02-2006, 05:12 PM
I don't know, I think Noah lives in New York now though.

He owns a club there called L'orange Bleue........it's in Manhattan, I believe. Supposedly he used to hang out there a lot but not so much anymore. I went there a couple years ago, it has sort of a French-Morrocan vibe to it.

johnathan smith
03-02-2006, 05:26 PM
My Gators are kind of struggling at the end of the season, but Noah had a huge game last night against Georgia. This UF team should either win or seriously contend for an NCAA title in the next year or so. The whole team is pretty much made up of sophmores.

christo
03-02-2006, 10:37 PM
As they say, you can't teach height. Yannick was pretty tall also I think.

equinox
03-03-2006, 06:05 AM
http://permanent.nouvelobs.com.nyud.net:8090/photos/20050710.OBS9815.jpg

He used to be quite skinny when he had his hair all fuzzy. He's bulked up now.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
ugly like his dad.

Moose Malloy
03-03-2006, 08:38 AM
ugly like his dad

Yeah, that's how he was able to bag Miss Sweden, Jill Goodacre, & too many models/actresses to list. Yannick was a stud of the highest calibur. Doubt any tennis player has ever got as much action.

UpTheT
03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
Dig the hair.. I hope he makes it to the NBA.

Progressive10s
03-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I gather that Joakim's mother is French? I know that he played his senior year of high school basketball in the US, but I gather he learned the game in France ala Tony Parker. Could you imagine a tennis player at 6"11" - an inch taller than Karlovic!

johnathan smith
03-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Oh he'll be in the NBA, but hopefully not for at least 2 more years. He has all the tools needed right now. He just needs to add size to his frame.

rilokiley
03-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I see this guy all the time (kinda hard to miss) on campus. He's insanely tall. Anyone know if he first started playing tennis as a kid but changed to basketball as he grew too tall?

LN_Dad
03-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Does Noah have any kids who play tennis? Strange that none of McEnroe's or Connors' kids play tennis competitively....

joe sch
03-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Good thing Joakim's playing Bball and probably off to make million$ in the NBA.
Can you imagine the serve that this kid probably has ? With that size and athletic ability, he would make one hell of a S/V player ! Bet Federer is glad Yannick did not force the kid into tennis :)

bismark
03-03-2006, 08:19 PM
http://permanent.nouvelobs.com.nyud.net:8090/photos/20050710.OBS9815.jpg

He used to be quite skinny when he had his hair all fuzzy. He's bulked up now.
One striking resemblance between Noah Sr and Jr - the gap tooth. Think David Letterman and Alfred E Neuman.

goober
03-04-2006, 04:30 AM
Does Noah have any kids who play tennis? Strange that none of McEnroe's or Connors' kids play tennis competitively....

Not that strange really. If your parent is a hall of fame tennis player, expectations are going to be extremely high on you. That kind of pressure can be hard to take as a child. Many kids would rather make their own identity doing something else. It is usually the parent who never accomplished anything significant in tennis or is trying to live out their dreams, that pushes their kids into tennis.

LN_Dad
03-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Not that strange really. If your parent is a hall of fame tennis player, expectations are going to be extremely high on you. That kind of pressure can be hard to take as a child. Many kids would rather make their own identity doing something else. It is usually the parent who never accomplished anything significant in tennis or is trying to live out their dreams, that pushes their kids into tennis.
True but some kids do want to be just like their dad. May be these guys are too selfish or busy to take the time to teach the kids the game and make it enjoyable for them.

Donnie Darko
03-04-2006, 05:52 AM
True but some kids do want to be just like their dad. May be these guys are too selfish or busy to take the time to teach the kids the game and make it enjoyable for them.

Tatum O'neal much? Mac's kids will be lucky just to be somewhat normal adults after having her as a mother, let alone be tennis stars.

Donnie Darko
03-04-2006, 05:53 AM
One striking resemblance between Noah Sr and Jr - the gap tooth. Think David Letterman and Alfred E Neuman.

It makes me think of an orthodontist...