PDA

View Full Version : Good News About Marat Safin

arosen
01-27-2006, 04:03 PM
With all this talk about AO final, here is some news from Marat's camp: he is finally healthy and his knee is not hurting anymore. Lundgren, his coach, who earlier talked Marat out of playing at this year's AO, says Marat will play Rotterdam as his comeback from injury tourney. Lundgren says he was really happy to hear from Tarpishev (Russian Davis Cup captain) who informed him that Marat is getting a pass for the Davis Cup first match, so that Marat can get well and get his game dialed in.

Personally, I miss the big Russian.

Turning Pro
01-27-2006, 04:03 PM
nice,hope he can get back in the top 10

Docalex007
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Marat to me will forever be immortalized as an Australian Open man. Too bad he had to miss. :neutral:

pound cat
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
With all this talk about AO final, here is some news from Marat's camp: he is finally healthy and his knee is not hurting anymore. Lundgren, his coach, who earlier talked Marat out of playing at this year's AO, says Marat will play Rotterdam as his comeback from injury tourney. Lundgren says he was really happy to hear from Tarpishev (Russian Davis Cup captain) who informed him that Marat is getting a pass for the Davis Cup first match, so that Marat can get well and get his game dialed in.

Personally, I miss the big Russian.

A lot of the news on this site is second hand & old news, and I will believe he's OK when he is back on a court in a tournament and wins a couple of matches. He's had a lot of injury issues...wrist a year, knees ((who know's how long)) He said in a USO 2000 interview at age 20 "and I'm healthy". How ironic. So great and so plagued by injury. Big guy with a big game and a big personality.

I miss him as well

Sixpointone
01-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I am a big fan of Marat's. Not only does he have a great game, he is also an interesting and captivating personality. If he can return to the Court fully healthy, I am all for it, as I feel he is a major asset to Tennis.

Noelle
01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Yes!!!!!!! :D

zillianff
01-27-2006, 09:35 PM
i know that he had some knee problems. but what exactly was it after all?

Court_Jester
01-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Marat to me will forever be immortalized as an Australian Open man.
To me, it's the 2000 US Open. Seeing his wicked serves against Sampras was downright scary.

McStud
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Yeah.. watching that US Open performance was scary. And then watching him beat Federer in the 2005 Aussie Open when Federer was playing great was incredible.

jackson vile
01-27-2006, 10:18 PM
I feel bad I have never seen Marat play, I hear so much about him and he is no where to be seen:confused:

I think that it is a good move to wait it out longer then to go in too soon, sounds like his coach really wants that davis cup.

Hopefully he will stop Fed from some more Majors ect:mrgreen:

GrahamIsSuper
01-27-2006, 10:49 PM
If you are missing Safin play, it is either because A) he rarely gets to finals B) he isnt american (hence no espn/abc coverage), or C) he gets frustrated and knocked out early on by a nobody.

This coming from a muy grande Safin fan. When he is focused and on...the ground shakes from his furious genious.

go_nadal
01-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeeeeh! Come on Safin! I hope he gets some form going this year and makes the top 10 or 5 again.

Court_Jester
01-27-2006, 11:01 PM
If you are missing Safin play, it is either because...
C) he gets frustrated and knocked out early on by a nobody.
Like what happened to him at last year's Wimbledon (or was it two years ago?). He made it known that he hated the grass surface and played very erratically early on. Then just when he was getting his act together, he got knocked out in the 3rd round.

GrahamIsSuper
01-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Haha Court Jester. Do you remember his quote regarding grass? "Grass is for Cows."

Classic Safin, the guy is just the bad boy the girls want and the dreamy hunk all the guys hate.

armand
01-27-2006, 11:32 PM
There was an in-depth interview with Safin a few months ago on a Russian site. In it, he said that his knee(s) will always hurt from now on and it's just something that he's learning to deal with.
So is this news saying that his pain is gone on a relative scale, or gone completely?

arosen
01-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Its Lundgren speaking, not Safin himself. Lundgren is saying Safin is hitting and running without pain.

Court_Jester
01-28-2006, 06:04 AM
Haha Court Jester. Do you remember his quote regarding grass? "Grass is for Cows."
LOL! I wish I saw him say it himself but I remember the commentators mentioning it several times.

PeteD
01-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Best Safin moment was 2000 US after Pete, trying everything, attempts a drop shot that misses. Safin drops the next ball in, perfectly, then goes back to his power game.

MHK
01-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Best Safin moment was 2000 US after Pete, trying everything, attempts a drop shot that misses. Safin drops the next ball in, perfectly, then goes back to his power game.

Always remember tuning into the final on the radio (late for some reason - what was I thinking?!) and hearing the commentators say "well, its so one sided at the minute, play is all one way" and thinking "God, here we go again, another Sampras victory, another whitewash" and then finding out it was Safin that was dominating the play!! It was fantastic. Remembering moments like that and the Semi against Fed at the AO last year makes me want him back and healthy all the more...