PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway Dynamite 17 - Like a bad date

netman
01-27-2006, 06:36 PM
I have to say I love the way Ashaway Dynamite 17 plays. Its the closet thing to nat gut I have found in a long time. Unfortunately it has one big difference. It is very hard on the elbow. After 3 matches with it, my elbow hurt so bad I had to stop play for two weeks. This has never happened to me in 30+ years of play. Switched back to Gosen SM 17 and the problem went away.

So I guess its like a bad date. You have so much fun with it, but the next morning there is h@# to pay and you wonder what you were thinking. Oh well, guess its time to move on. But the wonderful memories keep me thinking I should give it one more try. I see trouble ahead....
-k-

Kevo
01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Stange, I found Dynamite to be quite forgiving. I've played it as high as 62lbs. in my RDX 500 mid. My main problem was that after a few hours the coating on the string would get roughed up enough that the strings wouldn't move back into place by themselves at all. I'd end up with a big hole in the middle of the string bed.

Cruzer
01-28-2006, 06:17 PM
The customer reviews of this string contain several comments that Ashaway Dynamite should be strung several pounds lower than you normally string at otherwise the string will feel comparatively stiff. I recently bought some of this string but have not tried it yet but when I do I intend to string it 5-8 pounds lower than the tension I normally string my racquets at.

Kevo
01-28-2006, 08:04 PM
I've played dynamite 17 four times now. They ranged from 48 - 62 lbs. I liked 62 the best. I didn't find 62 to be any stiffer than 50 really. I think the interesting thing about this string is that it's dynamic stiffness really is on par with gut, meaning that it still stretches even when strung tightly. I don't want to say that you will necessarily like it at a higher tension, but compared to almost every multi I've tried (most at 60lbs, my usual reference tension) dynamite played softer. It was still firm at 62, but not harsh. I'd probably be playing with it now if they put something else on it for the coating. It just gets all bunched up on the edges of the frame and leaves a big gap with no mains.

devilish_duke
01-30-2006, 12:15 AM
I did not like Dynamite 17. It felt mushy and had a trampoline effect, I felt.

SteveI
01-30-2006, 05:27 AM
The customer reviews of this string contain several comments that Ashaway Dynamite should be strung several pounds lower than you normally string at otherwise the string will feel comparatively stiff. I recently bought some of this string but have not tried it yet but when I do I intend to string it 5-8 pounds lower than the tension I normally string my racquets at.

Cruzer,

I also found that stringing at my normal tension worked much better for me as Kevo and McTennis have also reported. The stringbed.. starts out being somewhat stiff for the 1st hour or so then really settles in nice to provide a firm but not harse feeling stringbed.

Hope this helps..

Steve

netman
01-30-2006, 06:00 PM
I strung mine at 49 lbs per the mfg. directions. It really played well at that tension, but it just beat my elbow up.

It really was sweet playing string. Maybe I'll put it in my Pro Kennex 5g. That might tame the pain.

Man, I can't seem to quit this one. :)

-k-

mctennis
02-05-2006, 06:28 AM
I agree with SteveI. The first hour or so it is somewhat stiff and the after that it settles in. I think it is the caoting that gets broken down somewhat and gets less stiff. I think it is the closet softness to gut according to the USRSA listing.