PDA

View Full Version : Rival and Chris racquets

Captain Haddock
01-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Has anyone ever used these unusual frames from the 80's? Both brands had models with very wide throats. The Rival frames were more angular and had a racquetball frame shape. The Rival AU Ceramic used to earn high marks for stability from magazines like World tennis and Tennis. Any recollections? Anyone has one for sale?

Deuce
01-27-2006, 11:45 PM
I remember Chris frames - with the wide throat, as you describe - but I never hit with one.

I remember their logo having a star in it, though...

Don't recall Rival at all.

galain
01-28-2006, 12:44 AM
I remember the Chris racquet too! Looked like a snowshoe. I think it was considered so 'futuristic' one was used as a prop in the movie Total Recall.

PBODY99
01-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Has anyone ever used these unusual frames from the 80's? Both brands had models with very wide throats. The Rival frames were more angular and had a racquetball frame shape. The Rival AU Ceramic used to earn high marks for stability from magazines like World tennis and Tennis. Any recollections? Anyone has one for sale?

I hit with a CHRIS frame for a set of doubles , and I wasn't happy. It was too stable. Of course that was what the wide throat was for.
I had a very wristy game in the mid 1980's and I found the frame slow I used the ProKennex Silver Ace 90 back then.
Several of the palyers who were in the 45's at that time used them, but they were recent converts from wood as I recall.:cool:

Deuce
01-28-2006, 09:57 PM
I hit with a CHRIS frame for a set of doubles , and I wasn't happy. It was too stable. Of course that was what the wide throat was for.
I had a very wristy game in the mid 1980's and I found the frame slow I used the ProKennex Silver Ace 90 back then.
Several of the palyers who were in the 45's at that time used them, but they were recent converts from wood as I recall.:cool:

If I may 'pick nits', the Silver Ace 90 was, as far as I know, a product of the 90s, not of the mid-eighties.

The mid-eighties produced the original Silver Ace - blue, silver & black - which was around 85 sq. in.