PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo's Backhand

Chanchai
01-27-2006, 07:29 PM
For as long as I've watched Mauresmo play, I've been a fan of her backhand. It's a wonderful one-hander and that's no secret.

However, I'm wondering... Has she always been able to hit such ridiculous topspin with her backhand? I don't know how heavy the shot is, but the ball seems like it just dives into the court with a deathwish.

Ripper
02-06-2006, 08:18 AM
For as long as I've watched Mauresmo play, I've been a fan of her backhand. It's a wonderful one-hander and that's no secret.

However, I'm wondering... Has she always been able to hit such ridiculous topspin with her backhand? I don't know how heavy the shot is, but the ball seems like it just dives into the court with a deathwish.

This article is for you:

http://www.ctcentral.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1773&PAG=461&dept_id=561254&newsid=15106385

I, specially, like the part that says (7th paragraph, I think):

"Mauresmo has now won six of seven matches against Likhovtseva, who reached her first career Grand Slam semifinal at the French Open this spring. But she still has severe problems handling Mauresmo’s one-handed backhand. Mauresmo uses a closed grip, keeps the racket head down, then "rips through and up" the ball. She looks like someone trying to throw a Frisbee through a concrete wall."

That's what it looks like when you hit a ferocious top spin 1 handed bh with an eastern bh grip.