PDA

View Full Version : JHH interview comments /spoiler/

AeonT
01-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Justine Henin-Hardenne is in her interview with the media and she is saying she had been feeling bad since last week. She says she was taking anti-inflammatories (shoulders problems) since some days before and affected her stomach AND last night she barely slept.

Wow, someone asked her if Mauresmo played well, she said Mauresmo had a lot of time in each shots because she (JHH) didn't have nothing in her shots.

This is one of the so many reasons I don't like Justine that much. What a difference when Davenport lost and she didnt say nothing about her ankle problem.

Commentators are saying that No one buys her explanation.

Yours!05
01-27-2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2006-01-28/200601281138425835085.html

Nalbandian
01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Justine has experienced the pure joy of winning grand slams and for her to cheat Amelie out of that feeling was shameful.

jackson vile
01-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Justine has experienced the pure joy of winning grand slams and for her to cheat Amelie out of that feeling was shameful.

That's a very very good point, today tennis is ashamed and we all look bad:mad:

breakfast_of_champions
01-27-2006, 10:19 PM
whats the big deal. ain't u ever stayed home from work ,sick with a tummy ache?

uurrrrrrpp.

RealityPolice
01-27-2006, 10:23 PM
In an interview on Friday, she claimed she'd never felt better, then in her post-match said she'd been feeling sick for a few days or so.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2006-01-27/200601271138357178173.html

Keifers
01-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Imo, in that interview, Justine showed how self-absorbed and immature she is. Understandable given her age, but certainly disappointing coming from someone who has tasted Grand Slam victory before, as Nalbandian said above.

vicnan
01-27-2006, 10:39 PM
In an interview on Friday, she claimed she'd never felt better, then in her post-match said she'd been feeling sick for a few days or so.

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2006-01-27/200601271138357178173.html

Here is the relevant q&a (Justine Henin-Hardenne Pre-Final Interview, Friday, January 27, 2006):

Q. When is the last time you felt so good physically and mentally?

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: It's very hard to say. But in the last two years I never felt as good as now. Even if I played well in a couple of tournaments, I wasn't feeling physically as well as I am feeling right now. When physically you're feeling well, when you're feeling healthy a hundred percent, then mentally you're feeling stronger.

Doesn't matter of the result of tomorrow. It's the way I am feeling right now. It's great because I hope it's going to stay for such a long time now.

Here is the quote from today's post-final interview:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2006-01-28/200601281138425835085.html

Q. Very disappointing. Can you tell us about the illness.

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Yes, it's been a few days I wasn't feeling well. My stomach was very upset. And then last night, I didn't sleep a lot because it got worst and worst. Two weeks now I had to take antiinflammatories for my shoulder, and that killed me a little bit. Pretty sensitive. But I had to for my shoulder.

Now I got on my stomach, and then I had no legs today. I couldn't move. When the stomach is so upset and so inflamed, you know, you just don't have any energy. And I felt it when I woke up, but I tried. I knew at the beginning of the match I couldn't win it. I just really tried to stay in the match, but there was no chance for me. If I would have keep playing and continue, maybe I would injure something else, so that was the best decision, even if it was very, very hard for me.

At best, she is contradicting herself. At worst, she is lying through her teeth. Also, notice in the interview, it is all about "me, me, me." Its like she is in love with herself. That explains why she phucked herself today.

RogerRulez
01-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Here is the relevant q&a (Justine Henin-Hardenne Pre-Final Interview, Friday, January 27, 2006):

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: It's very hard to say. But in the last two years I never felt as good as now. Even if I played well in a couple of tournaments, I wasn't feeling physically as well as I am feeling right now. When physically you're feeling well, when you're feeling healthy a hundred percent, then mentally you're feeling stronger.

Doesn't matter of the result of tomorrow. It's the way I am feeling right now. It's great because I hope it's going to stay for such a long time now.

JUSTINE HENIN‑HARDENNE: Yes, it's been a few days I wasn't feeling well. My stomach was very upset. And then last night, I didn't sleep a lot because it got worst and worst. Two weeks now I had to take antiinflammatories for my shoulder, and that killed me a little bit. Pretty sensitive. But I had to for my shoulder.

Now I got on my stomach, and then I had no legs today. I couldn't move. When the stomach is so upset and so inflamed, you know, you just don't have any energy. And I felt it when I woke up, but I tried. I knew at the beginning of the match I couldn't win it. I just really tried to stay in the match, but there was no chance for me. If I would have keep playing and continue, maybe I would injure something else, so that was the best decision, even if it was very, very hard for me.

At best, she is contradicting herself. At worst, she is lying through her teeth. Also, notice in the interview, it is all about "me, me, me." Its like she is in love with herself. That explains why she phucked herself today.

LOL!

sandiegotennisboy
01-27-2006, 11:11 PM
nice post up there dude. thats how you tell her fans how to STFU, lol.

sandiegotennisboy
01-27-2006, 11:13 PM
this post is awesome. enjoy:

GrahamIsSuper
01-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Yo, its called pre-competition confidence. If you go into ANY competition saying "crap im sick i cant move well", well WTF do you think is gonna happen? Not only will you mentally lose every single time, but the enemy camp would tell maures that JHH is dying. That gives mauresmo all the inspiration in the world to wipe the floor with a practically dead opponent.

Use your brains, people.

LA dude
01-27-2006, 11:20 PM
atleast she should have conceded like how agassi conceded against neimenen at last year's open. He played an entire set when he couldnt move.

sandiegotennisboy
01-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Yo, its called pre-competition confidence. If you go into ANY competition saying "crap im sick i cant move well", well WTF do you think is gonna happen? Not only will you mentally lose every single time, but the enemy camp would tell maures that JHH is dying. That gives mauresmo all the inspiration in the world to wipe the floor with a practically dead opponent.

Use your brains, people.

you have trouble digesting the fact that she is a quitter and her name conjures up negative adjectives regarding her character and personality. shes been exposed. she may be a good tennis player but shes a low class person.

RogerRulez
01-27-2006, 11:30 PM
you have trouble digesting the fact that she is a quitter and her name conjures up negative adjectives regarding her character and personality. shes been exposed. she may be a good tennis player but shes a low class person.

I totally agree sandiegotennisboy!

Deuce
01-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Very well said.

Especially considering that it was Mauresmo's first.

The thing to do is play it out, and, when asked what was wrong after the match, say only "I wasn't feeling 100%". Mauresmo would still know that her opponent's circumstance aided her victory - because she would know that Henin was not 100% - but she'd still get more of a feeling of fulfillment than she did the way it turned out.

It seems that Henin's illness was the result of a mismanagement of medication. How is that possible at this level of competition, and with all of the trainers and medical personnel around the pros?

Would Henin have been more prudent about her medications if she had never before won a Major? Or if this were any other "more important" Major?

Deuce
01-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Tales from the other side...

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2006-01-28/200601281138426918546.html

A sample...

Q. It's hard to ask you to comment on this in a way, but I think we probably must. A lot of people are going to say, "She should have found a way to finish that match, no matter what happened." Any comment about that?
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, I don't want to really comment on that. I was ready to die on the court today. That's just the way I was coming out on the court this afternoon. So that's it.

Q. Leaving personalities out of it, is it unprofessional to walk out on a full-house crowd, being paid $600,000? Is that unprofessional?
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: What can I say? Am I going to make controversy about that? No. That's not the day for this for me.

Polaris
01-28-2006, 01:26 AM
I am a fan of JHH's game (and Mauresmo's too) so it was awful for the final to end that way.

I was a little disconcerted by the way it has been dealt with by Brad Gilbert, Mary Carrillo and so many of the posters here. They are former tennis players, so perhaps they know better, and I am foolish to question them. From my own standpoint, it is virtually impossible for any of us to know exactly what went through Justine's mind and how wretched she felt physically. Different people have different pain thresholds, so it is pointless to compare JHH with Agassi and Sampras and other players who played on through the pain. Once someone decides that JHH is a quitter, then everything that she says appears hypocritical or unsuitable. All she really said was that she put her body before everything else. I am inclined to give her (and Clijsters before her) the benefit of the doubt.

This also puts Mauresmo's achievement into perspective. Judging by the number of injury pull-outs, it seems a heroic achievement to successfully weather two weeks of tennis in difficult conditions. Whatever else Amelie has added to her tennis and to her mind-game, this richly deserved trophy also commemorates her physical endurance and ability to remain relatively injury-free.

Keifers
01-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Polaris, even if her pain were so unbearable that she couldn't play another 4 games and give her opponent and the spectators a real finish, there's still the issue of her lack of empathy for Amelie, her refusal to give credit to Amelie for her great play, and her juvenile answer, "First feeling sorry for myself, and then I can feel sorry for her (smiling)" when she was asked, "Do you feel sorry for her that she didn't get to experience the moment of winning a championship at all? "

swedechris
01-28-2006, 01:34 AM
on one hand.. she could very well have been a bunch of nerves and exhausted from her semis and been especially 'muhammed ali '-like in her attitude after that match .. on a adrenaline high and not very brainy about her optimism re. her physical condition ..

on the other hand .. we all know what goes on inside a persons mind and inside the body is not as easy to determine as say an obvious probelm / injury for example clijsters in the semis vs mauresmo .. she has abandage + she also trips and twists her ankle.. that we can perceive . but the interior is not so easy to judge.
i personally feel for both of them but in this case of course all focus and celebration should go to mauresmo and be fair to her !! she was really due for a grand slam title!!
well done!

proxemo666
01-28-2006, 01:36 AM
never liked her since the serena incident.

swedechris
01-28-2006, 01:40 AM
ps.. h-hs way of smiling after giving scomments like .. i feel sorry for myself and then i can feel sorry her... etc..

this i think might just be the difference in understanf´ding and speaking english when you are not totalt comfortable..ie. if an englishman or american says something in french it doesnt always ring so well either.. = there are cultural nuances and differences in conducting oneslkef and only if one is used to the other persons culture or 'black ' humor , can we pretend to know and be judging ohters.
i fell i know this pretty well after seeing a ll continents of this world and being exposed to these knds of variuos cultures and nuances of life. trust em it is a great experience and i encourage anyone to travel if given the chance!

Radical Shot
01-28-2006, 01:45 AM

When Amelie walked over to her seat just after the announcement, she was obviously annoyed and threw her sweatbands and racquets down. Her dissapointment and realization of an anti-climax was evident.

Max G.
01-28-2006, 02:04 AM
The thing to do is play it out, and, when asked what was wrong after the match, say only "I wasn't feeling 100%". Mauresmo would still know that her opponent's circumstance aided her victory - because she would know that Henin was not 100% - but she'd still get more of a feeling of fulfillment than she did the way it turned out.

Heh, I tend not to agree there... the point of interviews is to find out what the player is thinking or feeling. A canned reply such as "I wasn't quite at 100%" gives nobody any information about what happened in the match from the player's perspective. I would much rather hear what the player thinks of their play and of the match than what they think the audience wants to hear...

It seems that Henin's illness was the result of a mismanagement of medication. How is that possible at this level of competition, and with all of the trainers and medical personnel around the pros?

I wouldn't know... that's indeed a good question. Either incompetence on behalf of the medical personnel, or maybe she really was that sick - if the cure might be worse than the disease, but the disease is bad enough so that she wouldn't play, the logical thing to do is to try the medication in hopes that the side effects stay mild for long enough. She came close - it certainly worked well enough for most days...

Would Henin have been more prudent about her medications if she had never before won a Major? Or if this were any other "more important" Major?

I'd tend to doubt it, though we'll never have any way of knowing.

RealityPolice
01-28-2006, 02:15 AM

Considering how many of tennis' doping cases have been blamed on players allegedly getting the wrong information and/or tainted supplements from Tour-related medical personnel, it might be extremely possible. :lol:

Deuce
01-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Psst... Max - be careful, your bias is showing (all over these threads about the final).

Henin has had the reputation of being a little warrior. Somewhat like Hewitt. Always fighting, never giving up...

That's what makes this sudden withdrawal questionable. Before this, I'm sure no-one would have ever thought that she was a quitter. One would have thought that she'd battle to the end, no matter the circumstance. And from what we could tell on TV, the circumstance did not seem very extreme. She was playing, she was hitting, she was running all around... and then she suddenly... couldn't do any of that? All of a sudden? Not even with her fight and desire?

Just seems quite odd and inconsistent to me.

I've defended Henin more than a few times in the past against what I believed were unjust accusations - but it seems that this time around, the accusations are somewhat more justifiable and legitimate.

fantenam08
01-28-2006, 02:25 AM
http://za.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=2006-01-28T080622Z_01_BAN829221_RTRIDST_0_OZASP-TENNIS-OPEN-HENIN-20060128.XML

"It's my decision, my choice. I decided to walk on the court because I'm professional, I want to try," said the Belgian eighth seed, who won A$610,000 as the losing finalist.

"I have no regrets about the decision I took," she said, before breaking down in tears.

The Belgian went on to add that she understood some people would think she should have played through to the end of the match despite her discomfort.

"Everyone has the right to think that but it's my health," Henin-Hardenne said.

I wish she would have forfeited before the match too. If she had, maybe Sharapova could have played a decent match against Mauresmo, win or lose this would be better.

sureshs
01-28-2006, 10:19 AM

Maybe she was lying in the post-interview, but still you cannot read too much into this. These players need to be psychologically pumped up, by themselves and others. They have people telling them they are the best and they can do it. She might have had the pain all along and taking anti-inflammatories, yet fooling herself that she is OK. Too many others too are riding on her success. In the end, it might have all come crashing down.

jhhachamp
01-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Nice investigating, I agree with your conclusion.

skip1969
01-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Use your brains, people.

thank you. somebody with some common sense. i mena, do you guys know anything about the friggin' psychology of sport? you know, when the manager says the pitcher is raring to go (and the dude's arm is about to fall off). the running back is a probable start on sunday (when the guy's knee is as big as a grapefruit). the team's not in crisis (when the boys are brawling in the locker room). . .

i've never been one of her biggest fans, but henin is known for being a scrappy figher. and suddenly one rainy afternoon in melbourne, she walks off a court and throws away a chance at a slam title. doesn't anyone find that a bit . . . odd/out of character/extraordinary? could it be that, in her mind she had a good reason?

nah, you're right. she's suddenly turned chicken overnight, decided to f**k up her rep, her future, screw her chance at a slam and steal mauresmo's thunder. cos justine is just nutty like that.

skip1969
01-28-2006, 11:33 AM
I am a fan of JHH's game (and Mauresmo's too) so it was awful for the final to end that way.

I was a little disconcerted by the way it has been dealt with by Brad Gilbert, Mary Carrillo and so many of the posters here. They are former tennis players, so perhaps they know better, and I am foolish to question them. From my own standpoint, it is virtually impossible for any of us to know exactly what went through Justine's mind and how wretched she felt physically. Different people have different pain thresholds, so it is pointless to compare JHH with Agassi and Sampras and other players who played on through the pain. Once someone decides that JHH is a quitter, then everything that she says appears hypocritical or unsuitable. All she really said was that she put her body before everything else. I am inclined to give her (and Clijsters before her) the benefit of the doubt.

This also puts Mauresmo's achievement into perspective. Judging by the number of injury pull-outs, it seems a heroic achievement to successfully weather two weeks of tennis in difficult conditions. Whatever else Amelie has added to her tennis and to her mind-game, this richly deserved trophy also commemorates her physical endurance and ability to remain relatively injury-free.

i applaud your logic. and you threw in a little compassion, too (which was nice). this whole discussion has deteriorated into personal attacks and speculation. a la republican vs. democrats during every election year. no room for thoughtful reflection there, either.

vicnan
01-28-2006, 12:21 PM
no room for thoughtful reflection there, either.

Isn't that why you are here, to amaze us all with your intellect and observation?

skip1969
01-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Isn't that why you are here, to amaze us all with your intellect and observation?

oh STOP! flatterer. *blush*

penpal
01-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Here's the question I have that I haven't seen asked yet; How many think she would have retired had she been able to break Mauresmo in that second game?

CoASH
01-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I wanna see all the top players bag out herpeshardenne