PDA

View Full Version : New Respect for Ms. Mauresmo

Ballmachine
01-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Amelie said all the right things in her post match interview, but the most impressive comment that she made was, "I was willing to die on the court today."

To me, that is the measure of a true champion. If I was on the court for a grand slam final, they would have to scrape me off the court and take me out on a stretcher before I would give up.

I was really impressed with Amelie this whole tournament. She looked more fit than she ever has, and it was nice to see her finish an entire tournament without some kind of brace or tape on her body. Her condition was a true testament to all of her hard work over the years.

I hope that this Grand Slam win opens up the flood gates for Amelie, and she wins many, many more. There is not a nicer, or more deserving, Grand Slam Champion in women's tennis right now.

AeonT
01-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Brilliant Post Ballmachine.

legolas
01-27-2006, 08:59 PM
i am so happy she finally has a slam

katarddx
01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
yep, what a class act!!!!! i never was a fan, but she had won me over!

katarddx
01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
yep, what a class act!!!!! i never was a fan, but she had won me over!

breakfast_of_champions
01-27-2006, 09:14 PM
geez, u think amelia can have that attitude everytime out now, or is this just a flash in the pan. it also helps when u get two defaults prior the finals as well.

Keifers
01-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Amelie said all the right things in her post match interview, but the most impressive comment that she made was, "I was willing to die on the court today."

To me, that is the measure of a true champion. If I was on the court for a grand slam final, they would have to scrape me off the court and take me out on a stretcher before I would give up.

I was really impressed with Amelie this whole tournament. She looked more fit than she ever has, and it was nice to see her finish an entire tournament without some kind of brace or tape on her body. Her condition was a true testament to all of her hard work over the years.

I hope that this Grand Slam win opens up the flood gates for Amelie, and she wins many, many more. There is not a nicer, or more deserving, Grand Slam Champion in women's tennis right now.
Very well said. Amelie was superb in the interview and throughout the tournament. She and Kimmie are the best.

jackson vile
01-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I did not expect to like hearing her speak so much, I was about to change the chanel and I just listend.

Very funny down to earth, a real human, not some Diva like Sharapova, williams sisters, ect.

I have a lot of respect for her now also.

Fee
01-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Amelie showed up ready to play for 7 matches. Its not her fault that JHH retired (or anyone else for that matter). She has been a real class act and I loved her response to Bud Collins in the press conference ("I am not going to be the one to make a controversy"). Hope she enjoys that fine bottle of wine she has been saving for herself. :)

christo
01-27-2006, 09:35 PM
She really is a cool person, whenever I hear her speak, and remember she's not speaking her native language, she always comes across as thoughtful and classy, she prepared well and took her chance and I say good for her!

Bert
01-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Amelie deserved to win and it's very nice to see her win a Grand Slam after many frustrations and disappointents that she had to go through in the past. This is her reward for being optimistic and dedicated to playing tennis.

Matthew
01-27-2006, 09:57 PM
I am definetely a Mauresmo fan after this tournament. Not because she won, but because I really got to see what a nice person she is. So much class and so much talent, I am very happy that she won. Not following womens tennis as much as the men, and not really paying much attention to Mauresmo anyway, I never really got to see her personality. After this AO I definetely have a new woman to root for throughout the year. Congrats to her and hopefully there are going to be more GS titles in the future for her.

mansrow
01-28-2006, 12:14 AM
although shes not a babe, but shes nice and really really fit. she should have her own workout video. also, luv her BH. u know why we respect her, coz she respects tennis. nuff said.

rilokiley
01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Q. There was a very pretty moment after the match when you walked over to Justine, to her chair, sat next to her. You were obviously giving her gentle words or whatever. I think a lot of us in this room feel maybe she should have walked over to you and said something to you because you were playing so well. Did she say anything to you about how she couldn't finish? Did she say anything? Did she understand the moment?
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, she explained, because obviously she's playing ‑‑ what happened, I guess that's what she did, walking here moments ago. I'm sure she explained to you guys, as well.

Aww

hyperwarrior
01-28-2006, 12:29 AM
It was an honors serving her when I worked in the lockers rooms for the Rogers Cup. She's a class act!

hyperwarrior
01-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Q. There was a very pretty moment after the match when you walked over to Justine, to her chair, sat next to her. You were obviously giving her gentle words or whatever. I think a lot of us in this room feel maybe she should have walked over to you and said something to you because you were playing so well. Did she say anything to you about how she couldn't finish? Did she say anything? Did she understand the moment?
AMÉLIE MAURESMO: Well, she explained, because obviously she's playing ‑‑ what happened, I guess that's what she did, walking here moments ago. I'm sure she explained to you guys, as well.

Aww

There is something deeper in that question...hehe! It aim Justine...

tennisjunkiela
01-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Amelie deserved to win and it's very nice to see her win a Grand Slam after many frustrations and disappointents that she had to go through in the past. This is her reward for being optimistic and dedicated to playing tennis.

I could agree more! Mauresmo is definitely a class act!!!

skip1969
01-28-2006, 01:44 PM
a worthy champ. and hooray, france. it's been a while for them.

smiley
01-28-2006, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=jackson vile]Very funny down to earth, a real human, not some Diva like Sharapova, williams sisters, ect.[QUOTE]

agreed!

Docalex007
01-28-2006, 03:18 PM
I respect her luck.

kytennis
01-28-2006, 03:38 PM
i have no respect for her she makes me mad. she is a choke and if half the woman field had been playing 75% she wouldnt have done anything in the tourny. SHE IS A JOKE! she got lucky and one by default

smiley
01-28-2006, 04:22 PM
i have no respect for her she makes me mad. she is a choke and if half the woman field had been playing 75% she wouldnt have done anything in the tourny. SHE IS A JOKE! she got lucky and one by default
what the hell??

katarddx
01-28-2006, 05:31 PM
dude, you need profesional help... now.

grind
01-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Contrast Mauresmo's "willing to die" comment with Hardenne's "I was just thinking about myself" and you have the clearest picture of tje true champion. This was a Grand Slam final for Pete's sake! You just don't walk off the court. Hardenne deserved to be booed. I'm truly surprised she wasn't, and I won't be surprised if it happens in the future. She is a disgrace, and the journalists at Saturday night's press conferences showed they knew it. I was proud of them.

str33t
01-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I respect her deeply now. I heard the commentators say that "she was the nicest player in the WTA".

Turning Pro
01-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Justine>>>>>>>>.MAuresmo

by a long margin

Keifers
01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Contrast Mauresmo's "willing to die" comment with Hardenne's "I was just thinking about myself" and you have the clearest picture of tje true champion. This was a Grand Slam final for Pete's sake! You just don't walk off the court. Hardenne deserved to be booed. I'm truly surprised she wasn't, and I won't be surprised if it happens in the future. She is a disgrace, and the journalists at Saturday night's press conferences showed they knew it. I was proud of them.
I don't think the crowd knew the reason she was retiring. And Geoff Pollard (Tennis Australia Pres) gave her some cover by refering to it as her "injury."

Even if they had known, I doubt the AO crowd would have booed Justine. They have a sense of the occasion and would think it not right to boo. Of course, that doesn't mean they would not have been disappointed -- for themselves, for Amelie, for the tournament and for tennis history. And, yes, for Justine, too, because while some would have been angry, many would have been sad that Justine had made such a big mistake.

ktownva
01-28-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm really impressed with the way Mauresmo has solidified her game since last month. I remember hearing about her losing early and handily at a couple of tournaments leading up to the year end finale in LA. It looks like those were the wakeup calls she needed because she has played like a backboard ever since. I think she can continue to win big if she keeps her current form. It would take someone playing extremely well and taking big risks to stop her. Go Amelie!

35ft6
01-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Amelie said all the right things in her post match interview, but the most impressive comment that she made was, "I was willing to die on the court today." Yes, for a person who's been called a choker for most of her career, it says a lot that she didn't say something like "I don't care what people think," but, instead, took the criticism to heart, realized that there might be something to it, and was ready to "die" to change things. Good for her. I can't believe how ambivalent I was of Mauresmo for so long. After seeing her play at the WTA, I'm a big fan. And I'm noticing now what a great human being she seems to be. I'm very happy for her.

35ft6
01-29-2006, 02:06 AM
I respect her luck. So 100 other women could have been just as lucky? I think there's more to it. This woman won the WTA Championship, and even all the choker talk implicitly acknowledges her talent. Just saying.

grind
01-29-2006, 03:37 PM
keifers: I agree the crowd did not know why justine retired, hence their polite response. I can't help but think that in retrospect, they would have booed emphatically -- that's why I sense it may happen down the road. If justine made big mistake, which I agree with you she did, we need to let her know that. Justine doesn't seem to understand these things on her own. If she did, she wouldn't have walked. Look at Bagdatis' performance in the final for comparison. He walked off that court with his head up. Justine had a hard time keeping hers above water in the press conference.

Shabazza
01-29-2006, 04:02 PM
First Kim, now Mauresmo with her well deserved GS crown :D and I really, really hope it won't go down in the record books as some lucky, injury-filled fluke as it clearly wasn't!! The best way is to win a couple more slams...She can do it!