PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watching dubs????

dmastous
01-27-2006, 10:13 PM
People keep talking about how it's too bad doubles is never show.....
ESPN2 is showing doubles now. Anybody watching?
Gotta support the doubles.

Court_Jester
01-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I was until about 15 minutes ago. I'm rooting for Damm/Paes but I think we all know who's going to win.

Such incredible hand-to-eye coordination and quickness at the net for both teams! The game only reinforced my reasons for "not" liking to play doubles: I have none of those qualities! Does that make me a bad person or tennis player? :cry:

Fee
01-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I watched it, that was an excellent match. Lots of fun to watch.

dmastous
01-27-2006, 10:25 PM
The one point where they were trading quick volleys and angles and finally Paes diving all out and flicking a volley back was brilliant. Too bad they lost the point. But being, originally, a California guy (from Ventura County no less) I have to root for the Bryan Bros.

go_nadal
01-27-2006, 10:40 PM
The one point where they were trading quick volleys and angles and finally Paes diving all out and flicking a volley back was brilliant. Too bad they lost the point. But being, originally, a California guy (from Ventura County no less) I have to root for the Bryan Bros.
Yeh that rally was good as! One of the best dubs rallies i hav seen!

Matthew
01-27-2006, 10:48 PM

Yeah absolutely awesome point.

Congrats to Bob and Mike on their third Grand Slam title!

AbLincoln
01-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Awsome! To bad they had to break in with JHH interview.

sandiegotennisboy
01-27-2006, 10:55 PM
nice job on the Bryan bros! the thinner twin needs to work on his serve big time

dmastous
01-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Awsome! To bad they had to break in with JHH interview.
Too bad there has to be 8 or 9 visious Henin bashing threads running.

Matthew
01-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Too bad there has to be 8 or 9 visious Henin bashing threads running.

She deserves the heat she will get from this. Classless and selfish. She has an amazing game, but I'm no longer a fan of JHH after this move...

LA dude
01-27-2006, 11:09 PM
This was a great doubles final. It could have been more interesting only if DAMM/ Paes were able to convert one of those several break chances in the IIIrd set

simi
01-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Fantastic match! I sent an e-mail to ESPN earlier in the day pleading that if the woman's single match concluded quickly (little did I know at the time) that they please show the doub finals, with the only Americans left in the AO. Don't think my e-mail made a wit of difference, but it sure was great to watch. Glad I recorded it, so that I can go back and study the player's "ready position".

Good stuff. We need more doubles on TV. My "thank you" e-mail will go out tomorrow.

skip1969
01-28-2006, 04:38 PM
the best part was that because of the women's final hoo-ha, they showed practically the entire doubles final. rare to see that much. plus, i think they kept with the tennis after their alloted sign-off time. cool.

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 04:51 PM
the best part was that because of the women's final hoo-ha, they showed practically the entire doubles final. rare to see that much. plus, i think they kept with the tennis after their alloted sign-off time. cool.In case you didn't see the presentation, the Bryans were pleased as punch, spoke very well and noted that this was the biggest, most enthusiastic crowd they'd ever played in front of - which was sad. I wasn't there last night but at the AO (where we've always had, until now, hero doubles teams) we and many others always stay for the dubs. And, of course, they asked the crowd to keep supporting doubles.

pound cat
01-28-2006, 04:52 PM
I would love to watch doubles. The lone Canadian hope and Lihotseva are playing Buhpati and Hingis for the Mixed doubles title. Is there anyone in the world without a ticket who will see this???

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I would love to watch doubles. The lone Canadian hope and Lihotseva are playing Buhpati and Hingis for the Mixed doubles title. Is there anyone in the world without a ticket who will see this???Maybe if Roger retires???;)

pound cat
01-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Yours!05 , how has the TV coverage been in Australia? It's been pretty darn good in Canada.....thanks TSN and the person in that network who loves tennis............

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 05:12 PM
On balance, excellent. But only if you subscribe to Foxtel. The Seven Network, free-to-air as we call it, that has the rights has done some shoddy time shifting, and delayed because of its soapies and quiz shows, but the day has been saved by the marvellous cast of commentators and casual good fun provided by the Foxtel option. So I've been able to choose between 3 current matches all of the first week. The network has put the screws on now so Foxtel only has late night replays late in the second week.
If I get around to it, I'll start a thread about the range of ex-players we've had commentating this year. Just great. If you listened carefully, all kinds of locker room info. BTW, not Pat this year.
Also, Courier started well and was charming, but as the days passed it kind of turned into "All About Jim", I felt.

pound cat
01-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Interesting....we in Can via ESPN (USA) probab;ly get more coverage than you on pretty basic cable coverage. I think UK has the best...4 screens showing at the same time...i don't know how much it costs...What I've figured is responsible for the amazing Can coverage (40+ hours week one) is that there is someone in our network (TSN) who loves tennis and makes sure that every interesting match is shown to it's completion and almost every important match is shown. They are all filmed by ESPN...It's up to the carrier to decide what/how long a time is given to tennis.

AngeloDS
01-28-2006, 05:37 PM
People say the Babolat is a bad "net" racquet, this was obviously not the case :p. Paes was doing a share of the shot-making and points. Amazing guy, no wonder Navratilova had him as a mixed doubles partner awhile ago.

And it was pretty good stuff :).

jaykay
01-28-2006, 08:08 PM
People say the Babolat is a bad "net" racquet, this was obviously not the case :p. Paes was doing a share of the shot-making and points. Amazing guy, no wonder Navratilova had him as a mixed doubles partner awhile ago.

And it was pretty good stuff :).

I am pretty sure that Leander Paes is a relatively recent convert to Babolat.

And I totally agree - Paes has proven the Babolat naysayers totally wrong at the net. Man, was this guy on fire or what...!!! This guy was easily THE BEST player amongst the 4 on the court. Pint-sized dude who is an absolute bundle of energy... he was a treat to watch (esply the full length dive...). Too bad Paes/Damm lost; they had their chances in the form of several breakpoints in the final set.

This guy also doesn't shy away from controversy and takes it head-on (re: Bryan brothers claiming copyright on the chest thumps and calling Paes/Damm copycats... Paes responded by retorting that the Bryan bros were in 'diapers' when Paes/Bhupathi were chest-thumping their way to 2 Grand Slam doubles titles!!!... I totally enjoyed Paes' repartee...).

Fervently hope doubles comes alive again and gains in popularity...

Keifers
01-28-2006, 08:25 PM
In case you didn't see the presentation, the Bryans were pleased as punch, spoke very well and noted that this was the biggest, most enthusiastic crowd they'd ever played in front of - which was sad. I wasn't there last night but at the AO (where we've always had, until now, hero doubles teams) we and many others always stay for the dubs. And, of course, they asked the crowd to keep supporting doubles.
Thanks for the report. I recall that at last year's AO, the crowds on Sat and Sun watched the doubles matches avidly.

I guess the Mixed Final is due to start in about 35 mins. (We won't get to see it here, though.)

Geezer Guy
01-30-2006, 02:29 PM
It was a great match, and I was rooting for the Bryan brothers. However, I thought that if Paes had been playing the Ad court they might have converted some of those break points. How many Ad Out points did Damm miss? He had a bunch of chances to break, but he couldn't return the serve effectively.