PDA

View Full Version : Need an advice with the six-one tour/95

offerhak
01-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Yesterday I want to the shop and bougth a new raquet.i got a reccomendation for the federer/tour and that what I was asked from the seller, but when I got back home and checked the spec. I found that the seller push me a 95 instead :confused:.

can someone please explain me in a simple words (I'm a begginer+, I played an learn tennis as a child and now I get back and take off the rust ...)
what are the differents, string pattern 18x20 instead of 16x19 don't mean nothing to me. Head size 95 instaed of 90 and cross section 22mm instead of 17 ???
and more importent shoud I stay with the 95 or replace it fot thr tour (federer) ???

Thank you very much

Bottle Rocket
01-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I think if you are new to rackets and the game, you should not have either one.

You should tell the shop owner you are just starting out. Tell him you need something to learn with and improve with. I like the Wilson H6, especially as a first racket. It's relatively cheap and will give you a lot of room to develop your own style. The shop owner can probably give good advice in this area. I hope he didn't know you were new to this when he sold you that racket.

Later on you can try a bunch of rackets before making a decision. This will be after you've gotten decent at the game and understand more about what goes into making a racket play one way or another. You will know what you want at this point.

I have a feeling you're going to get a ton of differing opinions on this...

The tighter string pattern will give a more consistant response, firmer feel, and slightly less spin. The smaller head has a smaller sweet "area" and it will be harder to hit well constistantly.

TennisAsAlways
01-27-2006, 11:38 PM
As far as sting patterns go:

Dense patterns enable control because the stringbed maintains a much more flat surface during ball impact and so the ball trajectory is much more predictable therefore allowing one to direct shots more accurately.

Open patterns can also enable control if you want to play the less precise shooting style. Basically, with the open pattern -- allowing the stings to bite deeper into the ball -- you can generate more spin, therefore shots do not need to be aimed dead on perfectly into the court, inbounds. You can hit the ball harder and higher above the net, not having to worry about it sailing long as much because with the extra topspin added, the ball dives into the court more. That approach increases the margin for error.

It's up for individuals to pick and choose which way to go. I always try to get the best of both worlds. Perhaps not all of your shots are going to be topspin shots, therefore at times you may need the ability to guide and direct your shots with more accuracy -- which flatter stringbeds enable -- because without the control from topspin, you would then need something else to help save the day. You should analyze your style of play and figure out how often you'll be using certain shots, then from there on, make a choice of string pattern based on your determination. Keep trying different things out. Sometimes you'll discover beneficial things when you travel into unchartered waters.

As far as stiffness, head size, and the whole 9 yards, If you wish, I can explain that stuff to you as well.

156MPHserve
01-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Totally agree with Bottle here... I don't think either of those racquets are good for a beginner.

I really recommend oversize racquets to start out. Me and all my friends did and it really allowed us to just get a feel of the game without having the ultimate technique yet.

aszilard
01-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I disagree with the previos posts that say you should start with a light racquet if you are a beginner. If you are an adult male, the ncode n sixone 95should do fine. If I remember well, Federer once said that a child should start playing tennis with a wooden racquet. He is not the Dalai Lama, but I have the feeling that he is d@mn intelligent. However, be aware that the opinions are quite split on this matter.

156MPHserve
01-28-2006, 11:18 AM
I disagree with the previos posts that say you should start with a light racquet if you are a beginner. If you are an adult male, the ncode n sixone 95should do fine. If I remember well, Federer once said that a child should start playing tennis with a wooden racquet. He is not the Dalai Lama, but I have the feeling that he is d@mn intelligent. However, be aware that the opinions are quite split on this matter.

I agree... I started with a 9 oz racquet and hated every minute of it, luckily I had a friend who helped me install many packs of lead tape and it felt 99% better.

I think a POG OS would be great to start with. Many never stopped using it after many many years.

Marius_Hancu
01-28-2006, 12:46 PM
FWIW
check my posting here:

Best arm friendly racquets?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77937

where you can check the racquet industry specifications at the end.

95 is more powerful and I think too stiff for you.

ncode 90 might be too small for you, you need to move very well and to have good timing to hit the sweetspot.

18x20 means you might have more control at contact (more brushing, as it's denser), and more precision, but some argue you might get more topspin with Tour 90, because the strings being less dense, cut more into the ball.

Your choice. Both, with a good technique, are good racquets, perhaps too stiff, 95 more powerful.