PDA

View Full Version : So, now that that's a done deal.......

slack hack
01-28-2006, 03:21 AM
Who does everyone now think is the best WTA player never to have won a major?

slice bh compliment
01-28-2006, 03:54 AM
Hingis, part deux has not won a Slam.
Kidding.

No one really stands out like the Amelie of yesterday or the Clijsters of last summer.

I don't know, maybe Petrova, Dementieva, Schnyder, who excels indoors and on the Rebounce Ace?
I like Molik. Hope she comes back.

slice bh compliment
01-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Dani Hantuchova?
Nicole Vaidisova one day, maybe.
Anna Ivanovic, Michaella Krajicek.

Nah. But you never know.

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Hingis, part deux has not won a Slam.
Kidding.

No one really stands out like the Amelie of yesterday or the Clijsters of last summer.

I don't know, maybe Petrova, Dementieva, Schnyder, who excels indoors and on the Rebounce Ace?
I like Molik. Hope she comes back.Molik has been around the AO commentating (improving pleasingly), conducting serving-for-charity comps in the city, and preparing for a stint on Dancing With the Stars! Apparently this will not challenge her balance deficit.:) Er, she has added some "condition" since I last saw her.

iscottius
01-28-2006, 05:37 AM
clearly it is now elena dementieva

Mr.Federer
01-28-2006, 06:05 AM
Elena Dementieva without a doubt. She has reached two grand slam finals and a couple of semis. Petrova is the second one...skill wise.

Matthew
01-28-2006, 07:26 AM
Demetieva for sure. One of the top 3 ground games in all of tennis, in regards to both consistency and power. If she had a serve, she would already have a couple Grand Slams I'm sure.

Californication
01-28-2006, 07:29 AM
It has to be Elena Dementieva. She may have even had a shot at winning here, but she crashed out in the 1st round to Julia Schruff. She is the new Mauresmo.

akj27
01-28-2006, 07:29 AM
The ones that don't have one yet don't deserve one, Mauresmo was the last that did.

skip1969
01-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Demetieva for sure. One of the top 3 ground games in all of tennis, in regards to both consistency and power. If she had a serve, she would already have a couple Grand Slams I'm sure.

mentally, she's no tower of strength. but yeah, not having a serve . . . pesky, little detail she needs to correct. and soon. watching her (attempting to) serve is pretty depressing.

Scotty5
01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I agree ... Dementieva has been close on a few occasions. However, unlike Clisjers pre-USO '05 and Mauresmo pre-yesterday, I don't have the sense that "it should have happened by now" with Elena D.
Now if she could get a serve, that would be a different matter!

slice bh compliment
01-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah, it is not as clear as it is in men's tennis: Tommy Haas.
What? Did I hear someone say Chris Guccione?
Kidding.

slice bh compliment
01-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Molik has been around the AO commentating (improving pleasingly), conducting serving-for-charity comps in the city, and preparing for a stint on Dancing With the Stars! Apparently this will not challenge her balance deficit.:) Er, she has added some "condition" since I last saw her.

Cool, Yours!05, thanks, man.
Think she will be back playing anytime soon?
Like, uhm, June of this year? Hope she gets to use that serve and that slice backhand on the lawns this summer.

slack hack
01-28-2006, 11:48 AM
I agree ... Dementieva has been close on a few occasions. However, unlike Clisjers pre-USO '05 and Mauresmo pre-yesterday, I don't have the sense that "it should have happened by now" with Elena D.
As good as Dementieva is, I gotta agree with Scotty.

Barring Elena's getting a first serve, I'm getting the feeling Krajicek and Vaidisova are going to be the next two obvious slamworthy contenders.

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Cool, Yours!05, thanks, man.
Think she will be back playing anytime soon?
Like, uhm, June of this year? Hope she gets to use that serve and that slice backhand on the lawns this summer.Unless I didn't hear, not a word about it.

arnz
01-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Some players actually have problems with the Dementieva serve. It is so unpredictable, if Dementieva herself doesnt know where its going, then how on earth can her opponent read it ;)

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 12:07 PM

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it is not as clear as it is in men's tennis: Tommy Haas.
What? Did I hear someone say Chris Guccione?
Kidding.Looking forward to Gooch beating Fed in DC shortly...Prepare to send 1 dozen of your best red to my home address.:)
Edit: He comes across as the son you wish you had. Just one tiny disloyal thought did cross my mind I confess...

spinbalz
01-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Dementieva

156MPHserve
01-28-2006, 12:37 PM

I disagree. I thought because Dementieva had such a beautiful game, and she even beat Davenport at USO. She also fixed up her FIRST serve at least. Sometimes she served as hard as Davenport. Kim really wasn't as in-form as she should've been (almost crashing out to Venus) I really thought Dementieva had a shot.

Who would've guessed that Dementieva could dig deep and defend match points from Davenport in a close 3 set tiebreak but couldn't handle a few extra minutes Mary Pierce stalled? :confused:

slice bh compliment
01-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Looking forward to Gooch beating Fed in DC shortly...Prepare to send 1 dozen of your best red to my home address.:)
Edit: He comes across as the son you wish you had. Just one tiny disloyal thought did cross my mind I confess...

Oh yeah, man.... I hope they televise this one!
Yer on....12 bottles of the good stuff.
Problem is, I'm for Gooch, too.