PDA

View Full Version : ESPN coverage

barry
01-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Is ESPN showing the match live tonight? I don't see an entry for it.

Court_Jester
01-28-2006, 09:39 AM
They'll show the men's finals at 3:30 in the morning. If that's too early for you, they'll show it again at 12 noon on Sunday.

Chadwixx
01-28-2006, 09:49 AM
Thats terrible. Is this the first time they arent going to show it at 10pm? Espn sucks, what else is new.

dmastous
01-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Thats terrible. Is this the first time they arent going to show it at 10pm? Espn sucks, what else is new.
If they show it at 3:30 in the morning (here in the Eastern TZ US) I would say that's live. Is it not? What's so bad about that? Do you think they should create a time warp and show the match 5 hours before it's actually played?
I guess Disney has enough money maybe they can do it at that:rolleyes:

Fee
01-28-2006, 10:16 AM
No, this is the second time they aren't going to show it at "10 pm.". Last year, the Aus Open moved the men's final to Sunday evening for the first time ever (that results in 3:30 am EST for the US). ESPN showed it live in the early morning, and then an edited version Sunday at noon (be ready for them to do that again this year, cut out the awards ceremony etc, to make it fit the 3 hour time slot).

Court_Jester
01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Most of the time, they show the premier matches live and they just happen to air at 3:30am EST and that's because that's how the AO organizers scheduled them, for the benefit of the the local viewers, i.e. the Australians. You may not like ESPN but this is something that they have no control over. Be glad that they're showing it again at 12 noon on Sunday.

Foreign countries don't have to schedule their events to OUR viewing convenience and leisure. Get used to the idea that we're not the center of the universe.

barry
01-28-2006, 11:12 AM
If they show it at 3:30 in the morning (here in the Eastern TZ US) I would say that's live. Is it not? What's so bad about that? Do you think they should create a time warp and show the match 5 hours before it's actually played?
I guess Disney has enough money maybe they can do it at that:rolleyes:

I would say it is not live this year, but recorded or delayed.

Fee
01-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Then you would be wrong Barry. The match will be shown live at 3:30 am Eastern time (as so many other matches have been for the last two weeks). If you would like to verify that it will in fact be live, feel free to confirm the start time at www.ausopen.org, then check out www.timeanddate.com and enter New York and Melbourne into the appropriate form. Then you can rest easy for the next few hours, and use your brain to concoct a conspiracy theory about the draw at the Boca Futures favoring Donald Young.

gully
01-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Then you would be wrong Barry. The match will be shown live at 3:30 am Eastern time (as so many other matches have been for the last two weeks). If you would like to verify that it will in fact be live, feel free to confirm the start time at www.ausopen.org, then check out www.timeanddate.com and enter New York and Melbourne into the appropriate form. Then you can rest easy for the next few hours, and use your brain to concoct a conspiracy theory about the draw at the Boca Futures favoring Donald Young.Nicely done, fee. Usually, it take BarrWixx twice as long to pack in this much stupidity into a single thread.

The match will be shown live on ESPN2. As Fee notes, those persnickety Australians will probably insist on playing the match in their own time zone, and without regard for the tv habits of Americans.

Go figure.

alienhamster
01-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Has barry ever been right about anything?

Just wondering . . .

pound cat
01-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I would say it is not live this year, but recorded or delayed.

Read your TV guide. It's at 3:30 am because it's LIVE ie it's really happening as it's being played ... If you/re lucky like we have been with ESPN as carried by our Can. sports network, you''ll see the whole thing no matter how long it takes complete with interviews and ceremony. The afternoon broadcast will be severely edited. But if anyones Zzzzz's are important...........

jamauss
01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
I'll be taking a 2 or 3 hour nap later today so I have the energy to stay up and watch it live at 12:30am (luckily I'm on the west coast so PST for me).

I tried doing the same thing with the Fed/Keifer match but fell asleep on the couch around 3am. I saw Fed win the 3rd set 6-0 though, so I figured he was getting ready to wrap it up.

pound cat
01-28-2006, 04:14 PM
I'll be taking a 2 or 3 hour nap later today so I have the energy to stay up and watch it live at 12:30am (luckily I'm on the west coast so PST for me).

I tried doing the same thing with the Fed/Keifer match but fell asleep on the couch around 3am. I saw Fed win the 3rd set 6-0 though, so I figured he was getting ready to wrap it up.

Get some 8 hour tapes (10 hour if yu can ifnd them) No ptoblem zzzzzzzzzzz watch as soon as you get up

jamauss
01-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Get some 8 hour tapes (10 hour if yu can ifnd them) No ptoblem zzzzzzzzzzz watch as soon as you get up

I would, but, I'm an internet junkie so it'd be way too tempting and easy to just check cnnsi.com/tennis to see the result. Plus...when you know you're watching it live...it's just more suspenseful to me.:eek:

alienhamster
01-28-2006, 04:23 PM
I would, but, I'm an internet junkie so it'd be way too tempting and easy to just check cnnsi.com/tennis to see the result. Plus...when you know you're watching it live...it's just more suspenseful to me.:eek: Couldn't agree more. Even though I hate sitting thru the commercials, when you watch it live, you feel the suspense of the actual length/pace of the match. Watching it taped just seems stale/artificial somehow.

Sadly I'm in the eastern time zone. This may be a rough nite.

pound cat
01-28-2006, 04:44 PM
alienhamster ... be strong...throw in an 8 hour tape at midnight, and in the morning have a coffe and watch it as if it's live.
And it'll be live if you've never seen it and don't now the outcome. Sort of yesterday's paper...if you haven't read it, it's news to you.

Fee
01-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Come on you wimps!!!! Tell your body that you're back in college and get up to watch the match live, knowing that you are not alone in your tennis lunacy and your fellow members here at TW will be up with you (but I'm not turning on the computer). Remember when North America had to get up at odd hours to watch the world cup a few years ago? We survived, our economy survived, and some of those games were on weekdays. Tell the loved ones you'll need to sleep in on Sunday, set a tape to record as back up, and snooze on the couch with an alarm clock next to you. You'll be glad you did.

I do this almost every summer for the first two days of Wimbledon, and that's just to watch the scoreboard usually. You know this will be a great match and you don't want to see the edited version, do you?

pound cat
01-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Oh Fee, you're so strong. You ahould have been in the womens' final LOL Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz 9 pm

Court_Jester
01-28-2006, 04:56 PM
That's right! You tell 'em, Fee!

It's not like you all got to work on Sunday. I used to catch the 3:30am games on weekdays. Didn't hear me complain about the schedule.

jamauss
01-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I do this almost every summer for the first two days of Wimbledon, and that's just to watch the scoreboard usually. You know this will be a great match and you don't want to see the edited version, do you?

My wife and kids think I'm weird because I get up at 5am every year for "Breakfast at Wimbledon". Glad to see I'm probably not the only one. ;)

jamauss
01-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I used to catch the 3:30am games on weekdays. Didn't hear me complain about the schedule.

With the last computer I built for myself, I made sure to put in a PVR card. Now during the AO and Wimbledon I can just use WinTV and record the matches with my computer and watch them later on my computer.

I have a nice 21" LCD to watch them on so it's not too bad. And being able to just click and skip all the commercials is priceless. It's like the players don't ever need time for rest and changeovers! :mrgreen:

Fee
01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
No, your insanity will be complete when you are so deprived of tennis that you tune in to radiotennis.com in December to hear Gimelstob win a useless exo match on a Sunday afternoon.

The most insane thing I ever did to my body clock was a few years when I logged into a fan chatroom for the Roddick-Younes Aus Open match at midnight. Who knew I would still be sitting there five and half hours later when the morning light started to come up? I still have fond memories of that night (morning).

jamauss
01-28-2006, 05:04 PM
The most insane thing I ever did to my body clock was a few years when I logged into a fan chatroom for the Roddick-Younes Aus Open match at midnight. Who knew I would still be sitting there five and half hours later when the morning light started to come up? I still have fond memories of that night (morning).

That was an awesome match - I remember watching it again shortly after it happened on ESPN Classic after ESPN decided it was worthy of being an "instant classic".

pound cat
01-28-2006, 05:11 PM
With the last computer I built for myself, I made sure to put in a PVR card. Now during the AO and Wimbledon I can just use WinTV and record the matches with my computer and watch them later on my computer.

I have a nice 21" LCD to watch them on so it's not too bad. And being able to just click and skip all the commercials is priceless. It's like the players don't ever need time for rest and changeovers! :mrgreen:

Is that like ff when I watch the middle of the night tapes the next morning?

Chadwixx
01-28-2006, 05:30 PM
I wonder why they changed the mens final time but left the womens as it was? I personally loved the 10pm live final time.

dennis10is
01-28-2006, 06:09 PM
Foreign countries don't have to schedule their events to OUR viewing convenience and leisure. Get used to the idea that we're not the center of the universe.

Unacceptable, we should move all slams and masters to the US. Make those foreigners come to us. They can have the smaller tournaments. We can still call it Aussie Open, just hire Aussie to work at the tourney, serve vegemite sandwich. The French Open would be so much better, if we hire French Canadians to come down from Quebec and add that French flair, it won't be so rude, and the Canadians won't look down at us. For Wimbledon, we can just hire local Shakespearean actors, what's the difference, England is part of us anyways.

It would be great for tennis because Americans will be able to watch and attend it much more easily.

Edited: added

There has been many complaints of the decline of US tennis. Well, with my solution, we can add the following: all Majors and Masters finalists must be a current and exclusive US citizen or upon reaching the finals they must immediately revoke their current citizenship and become an American before they can play in the finals. If they refuse, they will be sent to Guantanamo Bay indefinitely, to replace them, the highest ranked American player, most likely lost in the early rounds, will take their place. If their country complain, Bush can send air strike on their tennis centers. I want to make it clear, that the US will not wage wars against other tennis playing countries. However, we will attack terrorist tennis programs throughout the world. With our precision munitions, we can target tennis courts with minimal collateral damage. Just think of it, Federer, Nadal, Baghdatis, Mauresmo, Safin, etc... as Americans. God bless the USTA.

Court_Jester
01-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Unacceptable, we should move all slams and masters to the US.
LOL! That's a dream come true for me!

Fee
01-28-2006, 08:57 PM

You and I need to talk. See, my 'trusty' Gateway desktop went wonky on me a few weeks ago (some software glitch that may have been caused by a Windows update) and I lost all of my email (2 years' worth). I have decided that my next machine will be built for me by 'an enthusiast' (ie geek). I want this PVR card you speak of.... (mmmm, computer lust...)

ShooterMcMarco
01-28-2006, 09:26 PM
I've watched practically every 3:30 am et match, so this is nothing new for me. My sleep schedule got screwed up in the process though.

jamauss
01-28-2006, 10:01 PM
You and I need to talk. See, my 'trusty' Gateway desktop went wonky on me a few weeks ago (some software glitch that may have been caused by a Windows update) and I lost all of my email (2 years' worth). I have decided that my next machine will be built for me by 'an enthusiast' (ie geek). I want this PVR card you speak of.... (mmmm, computer lust...)

I've built lots of machines for friends and family. If you've got a geek friend that knows how to put a machine together I could tell you which parts to buy and from where. (to get the best deals). I built a monster machine most recently and it only set me back about $1200 (including the 21" Samsung LCD).

Almost as much as the ball machine I just ordered this week. Weeeeeeeeee!

Yours!05
01-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Unacceptable, we should move all slams and masters to the US. Make those foreigners come to us. They can have the smaller tournaments. We can still call it Aussie Open, just hire Aussie to work at the tourney, serve vegemite sandwich. The French Open would be so much better, if we hire French Canadians to come down from Quebec and add that French flair, it won't be so rude, and the Canadians won't look down at us. For Wimbledon, we can just hire local Shakespearean actors, what's the difference, England is part of us anyways.

It would be great for tennis because Americans will be able to watch and attend it much more easily.

Edited: added

There has been many complaints of the decline of US tennis. Well, with my solution, we can add the following: all Majors and Masters finalists must be a current and exclusive US citizen or upon reaching the finals they must immediately revoke their current citizenship and become an American before they can play in the finals. If they refuse, they will be sent to Guantanamo Bay indefinitely, to replace them, the highest ranked American player, most likely lost in the early rounds, will take their place. If their country complain, Bush can send air strike on their tennis centers. I want to make it clear, that the US will not wage wars against other tennis playing countries. However, we will attack terrorist tennis programs throughout the world. With our precision munitions, we can target tennis courts with minimal collateral damage. Just think of it, Federer, Nadal, Baghdatis, Mauresmo, Safin, etc... as Americans. God bless the USTA.Excellent plan Dennis. With just one amendment, I'll be passing this on to Paul McNamee as my idea.:p