PDA

View Full Version : How does multi + synthetic hybrid feel like?

thetenniskid07
01-28-2006, 12:36 PM
How does a multi + synthetic hybrid feel like? Which should be the crosses and which one should be the mains? I'm guessing multi for the mains?

westy
01-28-2006, 12:58 PM
i posted a similar thread. I think that basically the idea is to save money by only using half set of multi and half set of syn gut

thetenniskid07
01-28-2006, 01:34 PM
i posted a similar thread. I think that basically the idea is to save money by only using half set of multi and half set of syn gut

I want to know how it feels like not why use it... lol

westy
01-28-2006, 01:45 PM
the stringbed would be firmer according to this thread

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=83335&highlight=multi+syn+gut+hybrid

darkblue
01-29-2006, 02:02 PM
i don't understand?

multi = multi-filament = synthetic gut...
poly = synthetic gut
anything -not- natural gut = synthetic gut

so what is it you mean by synthetic? a non-multi nylon?

Gaines Hillix
01-29-2006, 03:27 PM
i don't understand?

multi = multi-filament = synthetic gut...
poly = synthetic gut
anything -not- natural gut = synthetic gut

so what is it you mean by synthetic? a non-multi nylon?

Welcome to the perfect world of tennis string terminology(NOT)! Syn gut is a generic term for solid core nylon strings. These are usually not monofilament strings, but most of this category of strings only have one or two wraps around a solid core with an outside coating. Multifilament synthetic strings are made of hundreds, maybe even a thousand or more, tiny nylon filaments that are bonded together, often with polyurethane. There are some multifilament poly strings too. There are many complicated combinations in some strings. Take a look a the picture of Gamma ESP in the TW strings section. These are sometimes called composite strings. Polyester strings are usually a monofilament string made from polyester compounds. Kevlar strings are made out of aramid fibers, the same stuff that's used in bullet proof vests and tires. Take a look at the Learning Center linked from the top of the TW home page in the strings and stringing section for more info. on this.

volleyman
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
To answer the original question: a hybrid string job with multifilament mains and synthetic gut crosses feels mostly like the multifilament. It feels a little firmer (stiffer) than a full multifilament string job, but not terribly so.

I started using mutli/syn gut hybrids to save money, and was pleasantly surprised at how little feel and performance I was giving up.

Steve Huff
01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I've found that if you drop the tension of the syn. crosses by 3-5 pounds, the stringjob will feel pretty close to an all-multi stringjob.

SteveI
01-31-2006, 02:16 AM
I've found that if you drop the tension of the syn. crosses by 3-5 pounds, the stringjob will feel pretty close to an all-multi stringjob.

Hi Steve H,

To sum this all up.. Yes, using the Multi in the mains and droping the tenion in the crosses will supply you with a string bed that feel pretty close to an all-multi job at a much reduced price.

Example:

Full Multi w/o stringing = $15.00
Hybrid Multi/PSG $7.50 + $1.50 = $9.00 Total

Note: you might want to be careful to select the cross string so that it does not have a surface that will tend to "saw" thur the multi.''

Regards,
Steve

coach
02-02-2006, 09:47 PM
To answer the original question: a hybrid string job with multifilament mains and synthetic gut crosses feels mostly like the multifilament. It feels a little firmer (stiffer) than a full multifilament string job, but not terribly so.

I started using mutli/syn gut hybrids to save money, and was pleasantly surprised at how little feel and performance I was giving up.

I agree with the above post. In my Prince 03 Tour, I have Tecnifibre NRG2 (mains) and PSGD in the x's. It firms up the string bed for more control especially for volleys. Only problem is this set up in the 03 Tour goes through strings like babies go through diapers. I have used the same set up though in ProKennex 5g and had a lot more durability.

Stan
02-03-2006, 05:59 AM
The hybrid will play well, (a bit firmer than the full multi) and save you some money. Find a cross you like and then see if you can find it in reel form to save even more $$$.