PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sad for Justine.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-28-2006, 01:28 PM
"It's one of the biggest (disappointments) because I don't know what is harder; to lose even when you're playing well and just you lose, or just when you have to retire like that," a distraught Henin-Hardenne said after the match."

"I think it's very disappointing because I was playing so well, and I had a lot of good chances to win here. When you lose that like this, it's pretty hard."

I definitely symphasize with Justine. After two great efforts, in the quarters vs Davenport, and in the semis vs Sharapova, she is taken down by her illness and unable to really try for her 5th slam title. I am sure she had such high hopes of winning her 5th slam, and ensuring her 4th straight year of winning atleast 1 slam. Her words seem to express her dissapointment. I feel for her. Nothing should be taken from Mauresmo who played beautifully all event and deserved her first slam win. Both women deserve the benefit of doubt, Mauresmo for winning, and it should be considered a whole win, but also Justine that she was really too sick to push on.

skip1969
01-28-2006, 01:38 PM
mauresmo said that the way it ended was a bit sad for everyone. very true. and poignant coming from her during what was supposed to me her moment to shine.

str33t
01-28-2006, 01:43 PM
mauresmo had an easy road to the finals. clijsters retired in her match against mauresmo and then in the finals justine retired. it must suck for the people who bought tickets for the finals because the match was just cut short and it was a complete disappointment.

pound cat
01-28-2006, 02:13 PM
And it all shows that of all the players who met Mauresmo on her way to the final, she was the one who was fittest and made it through to the end. Allez Amelie. Well deserved.

Bogie
01-28-2006, 02:16 PM
ya, huge disappointment for the people who bought tickets to see the final, but at least they saw a great doubles final

Nalbandian
01-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Any sport needs a villain...But no sport needs a Justine Henin, Ron Artest, Terrell Owens, Bode Miller or Mike Tyson...Those folks destroy a lot more than they ever help build.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Any sport needs a villain...But no sport needs a Justine Henin, Ron Artest, Terrell Owens, Bode Miller or Mike Tyson...Those folks destroy a lot more than they ever help build.

I would never put Henin or Miller in the same category as Mike Tyson or Ron Artest. Terrel Owens is somewhere in the middle.

Nalbandian
01-28-2006, 03:29 PM
I would never put Henin or Miller in the same category as Mike Tyson or Ron Artest. Terrel Owens is somewhere in the middle.

Yeah, What Henin did was probably worst in terms of unsportsmanlike behavior.

goober
01-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah, What Henin did was probably worst in terms of unsportsmanlike behavior.

I don't know. Biting off your opponents ear off I think would top tanking a match as far as unsportmanslike conduct. Maybe it is just me.

vicnan
01-28-2006, 05:35 PM

Amen to that!

Rodeo
01-28-2006, 06:01 PM
The big problem is that little Justine has pulled some unsporting stunts in the past.

Remember the boy who cried wolf.:D

Michael Haller
02-05-2006, 08:40 PM
The big problem is that little Justine has pulled some unsporting stunts in the past.
....:D

Which ones would that be?

baseliner
02-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Haller, off the top of my head I would cite the "out" call against Clisters and the "hand". That would be two. I agree with the poster who would say "The Hand" is a better sport than "The Ear" or the "Cannibal".

Michael Haller
02-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Haller, off the top of my head I would cite the "out" call against Clisters and the "hand". That would be two. I agree with the poster who would say "The Hand" is a better sport than "The Ear" or the "Cannibal".

Out calls are often controversial.
Sabatini even won USO 90 final with a bad call in her favour at match point. We will have to live with things like that.

I don't know what Henin did wrong at the "hand" incident either.
Serena wanted to cheat by claiming Henin's raised hand had irritated her. Thank God the umpire didn't go along and didn't give Serena a let.

Rabbit
02-06-2006, 07:30 AM

The French Open final against Serena Williams when Henin raised her hand. I'm a fan of Henin's game, but realistically, a let should have been played. Of course, I'm from the old school and always give my opponent the benefit of the doubt. Both Williams and Henin are guilty of gamesmanship and this time it bit Williams on her, well you get the picture. Henin tried to downplay the whole incident after the match, but it was clear she thought more about winning than she did fair play.
Henin is famous, or infamous, for taking injury time outs that are conveniently scheduled when her opponents have gained Mr. Mo. This has happened on more than one occassion and more than one commentator has made note of it on air.I'm a great fan of Henin's game. That said, she's not above doing whatever it takes to win, even if it's technically correct, some of her tactics have been wrong in the spirit of competition.

She doesn't have the reputation that Davenport, Clijsters, Molik, or several other of the current female players do for fair play. There is enough smoke around her to justify the claims of gamesmanship. Henin's tactics are becoming more and more common on both tours and is indicitive of the deteroration of spirited competition into gamesmanship and stuff we used to see exclusively on the Professional Wrestling Circus...ehh Circuit.

federerhoogenbandfan
02-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Out calls are often controversial.
Sabatini even won USO 90 final with a bad call in her favour at match point. We will have to live with things like that.

You are wrong on the 1990 U.S Open final. The ball did clip the line and replays afterword showed it. You really are an obsessive Graf fan arent you?

Michael Haller
02-06-2006, 09:50 AM
You are wrong on the 1990 U.S Open final. The ball did clip the line and replays afterword showed it. You really are an obsessive Graf fan arent you?

LOL!
I have a 32-inch LCD TV and that match on DVD.
It is clearly visible in super slow-motion that this ball of Sabatini's was OUT.

Graf always had an uphill battle with U.S. linesmen. Thank God they stayed fair at least when Seles tried to bully them into gifting her an ace in the USO 95 final (first set, set point Seles).

federerhoogenbandfan
02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
LOL!
It is clearly visible in super slow-motion that this ball of Sabatini's was OUT.

Graf always had an uphill battle with U.S. linesmen. Thank God they stayed fair at least when Seles tried to bully them into gifting her an ace in the USO 95 final (first set, set point Seles).

Actually that serve was an ace, Seles was ROBBED!

Michael Haller
02-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Actually that serve was an ace, Seles was ROBBED!

Simply buy a digital recorder and a huge LCD screen. The ball wasn't even close.
I still remember how disgusted Steffi was of the fuss Seles and her fans made. Kudos to the U.S. umpire and linesmen that they stayed fair and didn't waver ....

federerhoogenbandfan
02-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Simply buy a digital recorder and a huge LCD screen. The ball wasn't even close.
I still remember how disgusted Steffi was of the fuss Seles and her fans made. Kudos to the U.S. umpire and linesmen that they stayed fair and didn't waver ....

Well I admit to only using a TV screen with CBS cameras for my reference.
I also taped those two matches on French RDS. So basicaly both of those stations had the replays of the line calls totally different from you have it, maybc CBS has a conspiracy against Graf, no?

Nalbandian
02-06-2006, 10:04 AM
LOL!

LMAO. As always that was so classy not to acknowledge that Seles served an ace...

Why are so obssessed in attacking Monica Seles in EVERY post you make?

legolas
02-06-2006, 10:51 AM

yeah

shawn1122
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I really don't know about the French Open incident between Henin-Hardenne and Serena, but from the way it sounds, it seems to me that Serena Williams was trying to cheat. I mean, isn't it her fault that she served while her opponent had her hand up? If she serves a fault while her opponents hand is up, that's her fault and she doesnt deserve a let. But, if she served the ball and it went in, while Justine's hand was up, then definitely a let should be played. It could be possible that she saw the hand and decided to serve anyway, knowing that she could re-serve if she missed, since her opponents hand is up, thus giving her an extra chance at a serve.

tennisjunkiela
02-06-2006, 12:57 PM
[FONT="Courier New"]The big problem is that little Justine has pulled some unsporting stunts in the past.

i like jhh a lot and love her formidable game but, i am encouraged that people are taking her to task for her recent antics. it confirms that tennis fans want tennis to be sport where people win fair and square!

imagine, if roger federer was still winning all the time but there was an undercurrent that he is a "cheater". it would distract from his greatness.

the problem with justine though is that she's a great player but there's an undercurrent that she will do what ever it takes (gamesmanship, cheating, etc) to win. much as people don't seem to care for venus and serena (for their outsized egos, etc), at least they have a reputation for winning fair and square. same for davenport, sharapova and clijsters. jhh is only one of the top women players who's reputation is tarnished.

so in conclusion, if jhh really wants to be considered one of the greats, she needs to clean up her act and start acting like a true champion and let her racquet do the talking. it's all within her control.

MonkeyPox
02-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Well said. I'm a huge JHH fan, but it is getting harder and harder to defend her and the huge chip she seems to have on her shoulder. Pretty weak actually.

And this thread is not about Monica and Steffi, what is it with the stupid back and forth about them on unrelated threads.

fastdunn
02-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I have no comments on this particular Henin incident but I have had
two guys who quit macthes with me in my 15 year amateur tennis career.
In both occations, I was beating them like a drum and they stopped playing
with no clear reasons. Honestly I do not feel good about them.
One of these two guys turned out to be unclassy shallow guy.
The other guy was fine except that incident. So I kinda assume
he had valid reasons...