PDA

View Full Version : JHH: a classless act

BjornBorg
01-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Everyone has the right to think that but it's my health," Henin-Hardenne said.

"I have to think about myself right now. It's me that was feeling bad."

Henin-Hardenne, who won the French Open last year after coming back from a knee injury, said she had been on anti-inflammatories for two weeks and realised before the final that her performance would be affected.

"I knew at the beginning of the match I couldn't win it. I just really tried to stay in the match but there was no chance for me," Henin-Hardenne added.

"If I would have kept playing, maybe I would have injured something else, so that was the best decision even if it was very, very hard for me."

"My stomach was so painful, I just couldn't put anything on the ball. There was no reason I could keep playing."

Actually, I thought Mauresmo was really playing well. And I think JHH knew she was getting her *** kicked and that by quitting, she'd have the excuse to fall back on. Notice no mention of how well Mauresmo played? If she didn't think she had ANY chance to win, then DON'T play period. If you do play, then finish the freaking match. She has demonstrated before the classless act that she is. This just cements it. Funny how she had strength to sustain a 33 rally exchange. Her comments make it clear there is no room for Mauresmo to have any credit for how well she played. It's all about Justine. I hope she is forced into an apology for her actions and comments by the WTA. That would be a start in her path to maturity.

Nalbandian
01-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Not only does she QUIT but she shows a complete lack of class in her post match comments. That was her opportunity to give all credit to Amelie and not sound so self-absorbed. She failed the test of character MISERABLY!!!!!

pound cat
01-28-2006, 03:55 PM
When playing tennis has become a money making business for tennis playersl there is no "test of character" No idealism anymore. Sorry.

Max G.
01-28-2006, 04:01 PM
If she didn't think she had ANY chance to win, then DON'T play period.

Wouldn't that be showing even less guts - quitting without even trying?

Just a thought ;)

Justine Fanatic
01-28-2006, 04:04 PM

Just a thought ;)

EXACTLY!!!

Game, set and Match to you Max G.:mrgreen:

iscottius
01-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Everyone has the right to think that but it's my health," Henin-Hardenne said.

"I have to think about myself right now. It's me that was feeling bad."

Henin-Hardenne, who won the French Open last year after coming back from a knee injury, said she had been on anti-inflammatories for two weeks and realised before the final that her performance would be affected.

"I knew at the beginning of the match I couldn't win it. I just really tried to stay in the match but there was no chance for me," Henin-Hardenne added.

"If I would have kept playing, maybe I would have injured something else, so that was the best decision even if it was very, very hard for me."

"My stomach was so painful, I just couldn't put anything on the ball. There was no reason I could keep playing."

Actually, I thought Mauresmo was really playing well. And I think JHH knew she was getting her *** kicked and that by quitting, she'd have the excuse to fall back on. Notice no mention of how well Mauresmo played? If she didn't think she had ANY chance to win, then DON'T play period. If you do play, then finish the freaking match. She has demonstrated before the classless act that she is. This just cements it. Funny how she had strength to sustain a 33 rally exchange. Her comments make it clear there is no room for Mauresmo to have any credit for how well she played. It's all about Justine. I hope she is forced into an apology for her actions and comments by the WTA. That would be a start in her path to maturity.

I am right there with you, do you think she would have quit if she was up a set and up 2-0? I highly doubt it, she would have some how found a way to battle on

BjornBorg
01-28-2006, 04:06 PM

Just a thought ;)

Actually, no. If she was as ill as she claims, then all she has to do is get a respected Doctor (one that either the WTA or the Aussi Open officials know has credibility) to make a statement to the effect that Justine is too ill to play and that it would be unwise for her to do so.

Honestly, what would finishing out the match do? Would she die? Would she do irreversible damage to her body? Give me a break!! No, she quit so she could have an excuse. It was her plan after the first set. If Mauresomo tightened at the beginning of the second and the score was 1-1 or 2-0 Henin, would she have quit? Uh........don't think so.

Max G.
01-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Actually, no. If she was as ill as she claims, then all she has to do is get a respected Doctor (one that either the WTA or the Aussi Open officials know has credibility) to make a statement to the effect that Justine is too ill to play and that it would be unwise for her to do so.

The only way to know whether you're "too ill to play" is to try... a doctor could tell you whether or not playing would injure you (for the case of something like a ligament or joint or muscle problem), but I don't think that a doctor could predict how you're going to feel on court, and whether playing on would leave you more vulnerable to other illnesses, if at all.

Honestly, what would finishing out the match do?

Cause pain and discomfort, possibly make her more ill, potential for heat-related stress.

Would she die? Would she do irreversible damage to her body? Give me a break!! No, she quit so she could have an excuse.

She has the same excuse whether or not she withdraws before the match, during the match, or whether she plays on and finishes the match.

It was her plan after the first set. If Mauresomo tightened at the beginning of the second and the score was 1-1 or 2-0 Henin, would she have quit? Uh........don't think so.

My, aren't you adept at reading people's minds. How do you know any of that?

BjornBorg
01-28-2006, 04:48 PM
"Cause pain and discomfort, possibly make her more ill, potential for heat-related stress. "

Come on man. Listen to how ridiculous you sound. Just get some fluids and electrolytes. Such BS

"My, aren't you adept at reading people's minds. How do you know any of that?[/QUOTE]

Dude, this ain't rocket science. Are you always so naive? Wake up man.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Give the girl I rest. She is a true Champion, and she would not retire a match if she felt there was any way to continue. This is a girl who came back from 5-3 down in 2nd and 3rd sets in front of a hostile, almost volatile U.S crowd fighting severe cramps and dehydration to beat Capriati in the U.S Open semis a couple years back. This is not some mail-it-in quitter. She obviously felt she was so sick she could not play on. If she was just looking for an easy escape she would have retired her Wimbledon semi with Serena a couple years back when she was getting crushed, and she had a wrist injury that wasnt too bad by the end of the event, but she could have claimed it flared up again, and squirmed out with her pride intact. She did not, she stayed, gave her best, and in the end took her beating like the champion she is.

AeonT
01-28-2006, 04:58 PM
If Mauresmo bageled her in the second set it would just look like she blew her off the court, which she did in the first set. Obviously, that's not the impression Henin wanted people to have of the match. By pulling out, she made the story about her injury, not how Amelie outplayed her.

The key point is one Mauresmo made herself in her press conference. She quit because she knew she couldn't win, not because she couldn't play. Well, lots of players down a set and a break think they'll probably lose, but they continue because they play it out and know that there's always a chance, no matter how small. In a championship if you're being smoked, you know it, but you play because you respect the game, the situation and your opponent too much just to leave because it's not your day.

It's inexcusable.

BjornBorg
01-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Someone with a brain!!! Thanks. (and Nalbandian and iscottius)

Justine QUIT so she could have the excuse afterward. You who defend her show a complete lack of common sense and INTELLIGENCE!!!!

federerhoogenbandfan
01-28-2006, 05:04 PM
You guys are just jealous of her. So are Mary Carillo and Brad Gilbert who could only dream of coming as close to a slam title as she regularly does, let alone winning 4. :) Go Justine, sorry for what happened to you, but you are a real champion!

vicnan
01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
JHH has been around long enough to know that not being 100% is a fact of life as a pro. I doubt if she'd have quit so quickly had she been leading 6-1, 2-0, 30-0. If she had won, it'd have been, 'I was so sick and still I won, how great am I.' She lost, so it was, 'Oh, well, I was not 100% and I knew I couldn't win even before the match.' Ok, you just quit, at least try not to be an egotistic sourpuss and be gracious to the winner in the press conference. Instead we get 'she just kept the ball in play, but then I couldn't move.' Translation: 'she didn't really win it, and I didn't really lose it; in fact, I wouldn't have lost but for my injury.' Having it both ways is trampy. This despite your opponent trying to be nice and comforting. Respect your opponent, spectators and the tournament. Win or lose, suck it up and play with the cards you are dealt with.

Kaptain Karl
01-28-2006, 05:17 PM
She is a true Champion... Well, she *was* a champion.

This is not some mail-it-in quitter.The facts belie your claim. (I was reminded of Roberto Duran's "No mas" plummet from glory.) JHH, like Duran, *was* known for her heart. Suddenly, she demonstrates she has no heart. I wonder where that went...?

She did not, she stayed, gave her best, and in the end took her beating like the champion she is.No she did not "give her best." She did not "take her beating like a champion." She was getting *smoked* by Amelie and couldn't face the defeat, so she ... QUIT.

- KK

Keifers
01-28-2006, 08:03 PM
JHH has been around long enough to know that not being 100% is a fact of life as a pro. I doubt if she'd have quit so quickly had she been leading 6-1, 2-0, 30-0. If she had won, it'd have been, 'I was so sick and still I won, how great am I.' She lost, so it was, 'Oh, well, I was not 100% and I knew I couldn't win even before the match.' Ok, you just quit, at least try not to be an egotistic sourpuss and be gracious to the winner in the press conference. Instead we get 'she just kept the ball in play, but then I couldn't move.' Translation: 'she didn't really win it, and I didn't really lose it; in fact, I wouldn't have lost but for my injury.' Having it both ways is trampy. This despite your opponent trying to be nice and comforting. Respect your opponent, spectators and the tournament. Win or lose, suck it up and play with the cards you are dealt with.
Hear, hear, vicnan. Very well said.

Michael Haller
01-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Not only does she QUIT but she shows a complete lack of class in her post match comments. That was her opportunity to give all credit to Amelie and not sound so self-absorbed. She failed the test of character MISERABLY!!!!!

LOL, that from someone who calls himself "Nalbandian"!
Reall good one!!!

Nalbandian
01-28-2006, 11:39 PM
LOL, that from someone who calls himself "Nalbandian"!
Reall good one!!!

Someone who calls himself Joe Pike and Michael Haller is obviously a twisted F-AG. It's hilarious to see an old man so obsessed with women's tennis...more so a retired ugly player... LOL

BigboyDan
01-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Like we've never seen a finalist tank before... Hello!