PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 serve and volley, which racquet to demo?

vinouspleasure
01-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi,

I have a 4.0 usta rating, play serve and volley. Current racquet is an i.radical OS. I hit semi-western forehand, topspin and slice backhand. I hit both flat and a big kick serve (straight ts and american twist). The kick serve is very important to me on the ad court (to a rightie) as I follow it in to net and often get an easy volley into the open court. At net, I need something maneuverable, lets me work with touch and lets me stick my volleys.

I`m fairly happy with my current racquet. It can be a little tough to feather my volleys (easier with a mp). Control on groundstrokes is not precise but perhaps that just comes from only playing once or twice a week.

I thought I`d look at a couple of the newer racquets as I`m two generations behind. On the other hand, my sense is that tennis racquets have evolved but there really haven`t been any revolutionary advances a la shaped skis.

I was thinking about the flexpoint. All suggestions welcome. If you are going to make a suggestion, it would be good to know if you serve and volley and your strength.

tia,
jd

louis netman
01-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Flexy:C10 Pro,Gen II Stiffer: Slaz X1, Prince Warrior...

vinouspleasure
01-28-2006, 04:08 PM
>>Flexy:C10 Pro,Gen II Stiffer: Slaz X1, Prince Warrior...

why those racquets? Are you a serve and volleyer? Have you played with those racquets?

iscottius
01-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Slazenger x-1 is a very nice S&V stick

vinouspleasure
01-28-2006, 06:26 PM
took a look at the reviews on the slazinger. It`s worth a try but the comparisons to my old pro-staff are a little discouraging. I played with that racquet for many years and it was great racquet when I was a 4.5 playing 4 or more times/week. Yes, great control and touch but a tiny sweet spot that requires a great deal of precision. As we had kids and I moved to 1-2 times/week, I started to have problems.

The head i.radical was a revelation. Great off-center hits, less work on my groundstrokes, lots of spin opportunity and, if the racquet is put into (just) the right position, effortless stick on my volleys.

str33t
01-28-2006, 06:28 PM
head liquidmetal radical or prestige. check out the reviews for them. nice stats.

KOtennis
01-28-2006, 07:32 PM
i recommend Yonex Ti-80.

i am a 4.5 player.
also big on kick serves and slices.
i play mostly doubles so i serve and volley a lot.

the ti-80 is low powered, with lots of spin and control.
maybe u will like it.

pdugas
01-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Ncode six one 95 16x18. The best racquet that I have ever played with. My game stepped up to the next level after I started playing with this one. The top spin and controle that I discovered was unreal. The club is solid and crisp. I love it and I havn't found another racquet that feels like this racquet.

man-walking
01-29-2006, 04:41 AM
nSix-One 95 18x20