PDA

View Full Version : saving the mains when the crosses broke?

Squid
01-28-2006, 05:30 PM
is it possible to only string the crosses when the crosses break instead of haveing to string everything and vice versa?

yourserve
01-28-2006, 05:33 PM
it is possible, although it is not recommended.

heavyraket
01-28-2006, 09:05 PM
i've done that with gut in the mains. i put the racquet in the stringing machine to keep it stable and then cut out the crosses. i've done this 3 times with my volkl tour 10 mp gen 1. i don't think i would do this comercially, though.

theace21
01-28-2006, 09:15 PM
I agree with Yourserve. If it is your racket, and you mounted it in the stringer, cut the strings out - you could possibly replace the strings. You could do it, but the stress on your racket, it is not worth the additional cost of a full set of strings.

In the old days many people had the broken strings taken out and replace with a new one. I did it for people (old days = wood rackets), I don't think anyone has asked for that in twenty years.

Best advice - spend the money on a new set of strings...

PBODY99
01-29-2006, 07:13 AM
is it possible to only string the crosses when the crosses break instead of haveing to string everything and vice versa?

If you string your own frames, this would be a false economy. The crosses take the greatest amount time to install, and there is no possible way to get the stringbed back to what you had, as the mains have lost tension to to creep.

Gaines Hillix
01-29-2006, 07:42 AM
The comment PBODY99 makes is spot on. You have no idea what to set the tension to on your stringing machine when you do this. Gut does hold tension better than most other strings, but there's no way to know for sure what tension to try to match.

devilish_duke
01-29-2006, 11:14 PM
I'd rather not risk a racquet for a half set of strings.

scotus
01-29-2006, 11:38 PM
I agree with Yourserve. If it is your racket, and you mounted it in the stringer, cut the strings out - you could possibly replace the strings. You could do it, but the stress on your racket, it is not worth the additional cost of a full set of strings.

I do own a stringing machine, but I have never tried replacing just the cross.

But let me just throw this question out, and this is just an honest question:

Why would mounting the racquet and cutting out and replacing the cross put any more stress on the racquet than doing a full job? At the point where we finish the mains and move on to the crosses, wouldn't the racquet be under pretty much the same stress?

SteveI
01-30-2006, 03:47 AM
I'd rather not risk a racquet for a half set of strings.

DD,

I am with you...

Brand New Frame $150.00 vs 1/2 set of used Gut (.. less than $5.00). Great point also regarding tension.. how you know what to string the new crosses at?

Regards,
Steve

bsandy
02-01-2006, 02:59 PM
If your crosses break, and you don't cut out the mains, the racquet is going to be deformed.

There's NO WAY you're going to get a decent string job.

Now if your mains are reletively new, and you cut out your crosses while the frame is mounted on the stringer, you're probably going to be okay. I've done this with my frames. I'd never do it with someone elses ! ! ! !

The is the time when Gaines and David yell.

. . . Bud

Steve Huff
02-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Ditto what SteveI said. But, want to add "Look on stringer's face when 4th cross snaps racket---PRICELESS"

GrahamIsSuper
02-01-2006, 08:11 PM
haha, steve. Beautiful. Ex-mastercard by chance?

Anywho, it's pretty much chinsy practice to do that. I tried it once, and it seemed to work alright, but then the very first shot I hit with it broke the strings. Since said strings (assuming you had been playing with it) will show wear, and most likely notches, no matter how careful you are regarding string burn, you will still make the notches worse, hence, making the strings stink. It is possible to do, but it is not worth your time/money/racquet.

As to the stress on the racquet before/after cutting the strings out on the mount, it is simply not recommended or a wise idea to do that. For one, as strings settle, the racquet will actually shrink/open up a bit more since the actual tension is shifting. If you were to put it back into the clamps and cut it, you would not be releasing it to its original unstrung and 0 stress position, you would be releasing it to its current mains stress. The clamps do not let you add pressure to make the frame begin in its standard form, so it will undoubtedly stress your racquet significantly to perform this practice.

Save yourself some heartache and just snip em out, man.

SteveI
02-02-2006, 02:52 AM
Ditto what SteveI said. But, want to add "Look on stringer's face when 4th cross snaps racket---PRICELESS"

Hi,

Good one Steve!!!

BTW, What does flying bits of graphite and fiberglass look, feel and sound like???

Regards,
Steve

Stan
02-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Cmon now. Let's make this simple. The answer to the question is "NO. It can not be done." Period.

SteveI
02-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Cmon now. Let's make this simple. The answer to the question is "NO. It can not be done." Period.

Stan,

The question was "is it possible to only string the crosses when the crosses break instead of haveing to string everything and vice versa?"

Yes it can be done.. the question is.. Should it be done??? Most experienced stringers can do it.. but I would not do it to one of my frames or anyone else's. Have a great day!

Steve

CheapStrings
02-02-2006, 02:34 PM
I did it once when my PSGD crosses seemed to break pretty quickly and the poly mains looked like they were in good shape. However, the poly mains broke the first time I played after restringing the crosses. I learned my lesson and won't try it again.

tlm
04-25-2006, 06:21 PM
I have done it numerous times on many different racquets with no problems.I use pacific toughgut in the mains+gamma proplus2 in the crosses.

After about 2 weeks the crosses are not playing as good so i put racquet in stringer,by the way i do have a 6 point mount,then cut the crosses out+replace them.

The first set of crosses i put in at 54lbs. which is 6lbs higher than the mains,so on the second set of crosses i put them in at 50-52lbs.The racquet will play like a new string job for a couple more weeks.

When you use such a high quality gut in the mains the x's will lose tension much faster than tha mains+ ruin the string job.

Maybe i am taking a big risk but so far no problems+i can get at least a month of heavy play out of one+a half hybrid job.

theace21
04-25-2006, 07:32 PM
I think it puts alot of stress on the frame and your are taking a chance. I would only do this with your own racket that you can afford to lose, never try this with someone else. It is a risk, and if the racket did by chance crack/break, you would probably be responsible. Put then again, I am not a risk taker.
Good Luck...

scotus
04-25-2006, 10:23 PM
But let me just throw this question out, and this is just an honest question:

Why would mounting the racquet and cutting out and replacing the cross put any more stress on the racquet than doing a full job? At the point where we finish the mains and move on to the crosses, wouldn't the racquet be under pretty much the same stress?

So far, no one has answered my question posed above. Not that I am advocating restringing the cross only, but I would just like to see the reason behind the belief that redoing just the cross puts more stress on the racquet than doing a full job (mains first and then the cross). Remember, I am talking about mounting the racquet on the stringer first and then cutting out the cross.