PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Vantage users

McGee
01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I am looking to switch from my trusted old 200g HM (and before that the HPS 6.1 95) and have been demoing the FXP Radical Tour and Volkl T10 Gen 2. Yesterday I had a hit with a friend's Vantage frame and absolutely loved it! It was a 95" head and 63 flex frame and probably weighed about 11.5-12 oz. Crisp, controllable, and decent pop. Very comfortable. My question is: are many of you using Vantage racquets and what is your setup? Am I missing something or is Vantage a good alternative. Have any TW posters been using these sticks for awhile? forgive my ignorance but Vantage is new to me.

kinsella
01-28-2006, 09:45 PM
McGee -- do a search on this forum for the word "Vantage" and it will take you at least an hour to read all the posts. I respect and admire what they are doing, but found they don't make a stick I want to hit -- too stiff for me.

BreakPoint
01-28-2006, 10:12 PM
McGee,

I have a Vantage 90 that I use along with my other racquets. It is indeed a very sweet stick. Mine is a 90 sq. in., 63 flex, and about 12.4 oz., 9 pts. HL strung. If you've already done a search, you may have read my review of it already, but if not, here it is:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=44202

Hope that helps in giving you a better idea of what a Vantage racquet is like and what I think of it.

Vamz
01-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Some love the feel, some aren't a fan. If you did like the feel, then don't count it out, just because people aren't using at as much as the others. That is going to be the case with a custom made racquet. I tried it and just didn't like the feel. I played well with it, but never found it comfortable for me. I still have mine, it's specs are very similar to what you want, email me if you want to buy it. surapan1@gmail.com

JackD
01-28-2006, 10:43 PM
I like mine...95 inch 18x20 63 flex 13.4 oz. strung. If you know what you want they make nice a good racquet.

McGee
01-29-2006, 06:42 AM
McGee -- do a search on this forum for the word "Vantage" and it will take you at least an hour to read all the posts. I respect and admire what they are doing, but found they don't make a stick I want to hit -- too stiff for me.

Thanks...I did do a search and there was some good information. It has been a few months for many Vantage users and I am wondering if they are still using the racquet; or possibly switched back to other frames or maybe stayed with Vantage and changed their specs. I would be interested to know if the initial users of Vantage have been satisfied over time.

Also, Kinsella, I felt that the racquet that I hit with (the 63 flex actually felt even lower to me) was definitely not too stiff. And I do not like stiff frames. Just my thought after a short hitting session. I am just now beginning to look at some new racquet ideas for my game. Thank you for any additional feedback

samster
01-29-2006, 07:24 AM
I would worry about the "First Time" Phenomenon...what hits so great on first try may just be your mind messing with you. (Happened to me too many times). I would recommend hitting with it a few more times and try it during match play before investing in a $200 tennis racket. During a match is when you really discover if the racket is right for you.

McGee
01-29-2006, 08:00 AM
I would worry about the "First Time" Phenomenon...what hits so great on first try may just be your mind messing with you. (Happened to me too many times). I would recommend hitting with it a few more times and try it during match play before investing in a $200 tennis racket. During a match is when you really discover if the racket is right for you.

Boy, I sure agree. If I bought all the racquets that I "fell in love with" after the first hitting session I would be broke :rolleyes: Good point. I certainly am a believer in using a racquet for as long as possible and for as many matches (if possible) before committing. I have tried to be certain of a frame before choosing it. The Vantage thing is just new to me and I am looking for any feedback before adding one to my growing list of demos. Thanks

Rory G
01-29-2006, 02:07 PM
I have had my Vantages for quite a while and am still loving the comfort, power and control combination for my game. I am coming off an LM Prestige MP (another great frame) but have found more pop and spin from the Vantage. My recommendation would definitely be to add it to a short list of demo frames. Their customer service and help with choosing and/or matching racquets is unequalled in the industry IMO. Best of luck!

bee
01-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I have a Vantage 95, max flex and weight options, std. 27", Wilson handle option. It's a nice racquet. Very well made, stable. Mine feels like a cross between a PS Original 95 and Wilson PS 5.0. A little stiff for me, put good pop and spin. Mine's strung with VS 17 natural gut. Let me know if you want it. b675p@yahoo.com.

Pomeranian
01-29-2006, 02:43 PM

To me their stiffness ratings are a lot lower than they say. I have a vantage racquet with the stiffness of 70, it felt a lot flexier than other racquets that have stiffness even in the 60's. Have you ever tried a vantage racquet? I think they have a demo program.

GuyPerez
01-29-2006, 07:04 PM
In February, I will have been using mine for about 1 year. Very pleased with the frame. I would recommend them highly.

jonolau
01-29-2006, 07:27 PM
I am looking to switch from my trusted old 200g HM (and before that the HPS 6.1 95) and have been demoing the FXP Radical Tour and Volkl T10 Gen 2. Yesterday I had a hit with a friend's Vantage frame and absolutely loved it! It was a 95" head and 63 flex frame and probably weighed about 11.5-12 oz. Crisp, controllable, and decent pop. Very comfortable. My question is: are many of you using Vantage racquets and what is your setup? Am I missing something or is Vantage a good alternative. Have any TW posters been using these sticks for awhile? forgive my ignorance but Vantage is new to me.
Hi McGee,

I'm curious to find out first: what more are you looking for in a switch away from your trusted old 200g HM?

Alley Cat
01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
McGee...are you looking for a 95 frame? Or going lighter, larger or stiffer? My Vantage experiences have been very good, but if you contact them they will help out quite a bit.

McGee
01-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi McGee,

I'm curious to find out first: what more are you looking for in a switch away from your trusted old 200g HM?

More pop and spin. My 200g has not provided sufficient power during the last year or so. What is your Vantage experience? thanks

156MPHserve
01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
I heard that Vantage frames are all premade and modified with lead-tape to your specifications. Is this true? Has anybody tried taking off the head-guard to see?

BLiND
01-30-2006, 05:51 AM
I've been using Vantage for nearly a year now... i must say they are the best stricks I've used, and their customer service is lightyears ahead of any other company.

However they will only truly shine if you have a good idea of what spec you want... if you do and you like the initial feel of the racquets, then get one... see how you get-on, then once your settled on the specs, get another (or a couple more!)... thats what I did.

I've used various 90", 95", 18x20, 16x19, etc and they are all fantastic just slightly different. I settled on a 95" 16x19, 63RA, 330g 12pts HL (325g SW), Wilson Grip, Leather.

Like any good racquet they are string-sensitive, so experiment.

jonolau
01-30-2006, 07:16 AM
More pop and spin. My 200g has not provided sufficient power during the last year or so. What is your Vantage experience? thanks
I don't have any Vantage experience, but am just as curious about it. I've read so much good stuff about it, and do believe that it's great to custom make a racquet to your requirements.

GuyPerez
01-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I heard that Vantage frames are all premade and modified with lead-tape to your specifications. Is this true? Has anybody tried taking off the head-guard to see?

I have a few and do my own stringing. I have also replaced the grommets/bumper guard. There is no lead tape anywhere on mine.

JackD
01-30-2006, 10:37 AM
156MPH

I have also taken off my grip and bumper there isn't any lead tape in mine. I spoke with the guys at Raquett maxx the US distributor before I ordered because I wanted mine heavier than the options online and asked if they would just use tape. He said they had about 80 base frames I think of various weights that they use to get as close as possible to what you want. They probably have more now. So its not like they use 1 90 inch pre-made frame to create all the 90 weight options.

fz10
01-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I've used various 90", 95", 18x20, 16x19, etc and they are all fantastic just slightly different. I settled on a 95" 16x19, 63RA, 330g 12pts HL (325g SW), Wilson Grip, Leather.

How did the 95" 18x20 feel compared to 16x19?

zorg
01-30-2006, 08:16 PM
But if you haven't hit with it before you buy it, how do you know its good, or you will like it?

BreakPoint
01-30-2006, 08:56 PM
But if you haven't hit with it before you buy it, how do you know its good, or you will like it?

You can send it back for a full refund within 30 days if you don't like it as long as you don't damage it and keep it in almost "as new" condition.

BLiND
01-31-2006, 02:36 AM
The 18x20 is softer (lower string tension mind), less lively and crisp feeling... spin potential is good, but more consistant with 16x19... I use luxilon strings and string low anyway.

Its very simular, just softer, and less bite... oh and a few more grams higher in SW.

Craig Carter
01-31-2006, 07:35 AM
I have been using a 95" (16 x 19); 63 flex, 27" Vantage along with a Volkl T10Gen II for several months. The Volkl is incredibly good on volleys and pretty maneuverable but is much more low powered than the Vantage. The Vantage for some reason feels a little more stable and can create great spin vs the Volkl. I can serve much better with the Vantage. Groundstrokes are similar and the Volkl is extremely comfortable. The swingweight of the Vantage is a few points higher.

The bottom line is that I am increasingly leaning toward the Vantage for tough matches which shows my confidence in the frame. A couple of my players (college) have been using Vantage and the results and their feedback has been positive. If you are prepared to pay slightly more for a racquet (the difference is not much, if any, depending on the deal and other comparable frame prices) than I strongly believe that you should determine your ideal specs if possible and contact Vantage/RacquetMAXX and talk it over and get a demo. Quality racquets and customer service.

jonolau
01-31-2006, 08:31 AM
I have been using a 95" (16 x 19); 63 flex, 27" Vantage along with a Volkl T10Gen II for several months. The Volkl is incredibly good on volleys and pretty maneuverable but is much more low powered than the Vantage. The Vantage for some reason feels a little more stable and can create great spin vs the Volkl. I can serve much better with the Vantage. Groundstrokes are similar and the Volkl is extremely comfortable. The swingweight of the Vantage is a few points higher.

The bottom line is that I am increasingly leaning toward the Vantage for tough matches which shows my confidence in the frame. A couple of my players (college) have been using Vantage and the results and their feedback has been positive. If you are prepared to pay slightly more for a racquet (the difference is not much, if any, depending on the deal and other comparable frame prices) than I strongly believe that you should determine your ideal specs if possible and contact Vantage/RacquetMAXX and talk it over and get a demo. Quality racquets and customer service.
Thanks. This is a very good, informative and detailed post to compare both the Vantage and Volkl.

vin
01-31-2006, 08:40 AM

Craig, what's the weight and balance of your Vantage?

Craig Carter
01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks jonolau! I see your great advice and help in many threads. Bottom line is that I am a big fan of the quality of design/workmanship in companies like Volkl, Vantage, and Fischer. Few gimmicks, just great sticks. I am coming off of many years with a POG, and am new to some of the recent frames. I do not think that you can go wrong with the right specs and any of the above manufacturers. Plus they are for the most part good on the arm!

vin - with the overgip/dampener (no lead) the weight is about 12 ounces and about 7 points headlight (with my balance board). Swingweight approx. 324

jonolau
01-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Thanks, Craig. Glad to know that you found my previous posts useful. Likewise with yours and hope to see you around more often!

monologuist
01-31-2006, 09:43 AM
If you're coming from a Dunlop 200g, there is a great chance you will love the Vantage....the Vantages are designed by a former designer/engineer for Dunlop/Slazenger...to me , it is obvious, as the design and feel are from this lineage, but IMO, better. It's as if they made a 200g or a Slazenger Henman racquet but used top-quality graphite instead of the stuff they use in mass-produced frames. The stability and quality of the grapihte they use results in a sweeter feel, and more power and solidness per given weight/swingweight/balance than is usual for most modern frames. Just make sure you are extra careful about specifying the exact weight/balance/ AND swingweight that you want to achieve...the only catch with Vantage is that they do not publish swigweight options, so if you order a spec with a given weight and balance, you are not guaranteed a specific swingweight, unless you specify it when ordering....this can make a big difference : I ended up with 3 Vantages with the same weight and balance, but swingweights that varied by up to 10 pts. or so.

vin
01-31-2006, 10:01 AM
I ended up with 3 Vantages with the same weight and balance, but swingweights that varied by up to 10 pts. or so.

How did you determine that? I thought the same weight and balance would mean a very similar swingweight.

Did you do anything to get the swingweights closer?

Rory G
01-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Just make sure you are extra careful about specifying the exact weight/balance/ AND swingweight that you want to achieve...the only catch with Vantage is that they do not publish swigweight options, so if you order a spec with a given weight and balance, you are not guaranteed a specific swingweight, unless you specify it when ordering.

Good point! Swingweights are not published or part of an initial order unless you contact them with your target swingweight upfront. I specified a swingweight and had the racquets matched and it has made a big difference. Not switching frames all of the time and playing with the same racquets consistently, that are matched sw's, etc., has really improved my on court success (This is not just a Vantage thing). Now to work on every other part of my game :confused:

Gost
01-31-2006, 10:36 AM
You can find my specs in the signature. I from what I was demoing probably nTour team 95 and Head LM Prestige MP were strong rivals to Vantage I have, I prefered Vantage and can't say I am dissapointed.

fz10
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
I have just got the 95" 16x19 (320gm 12pts HL 63RA) I have been using a Wilson HPS 6.1 18x20 and wanted something a touch lighter and with a bit more power. The first thing that struck me was I thought there was more feel with the Vantage, I still need to play a lot more with it but initial signs are favourable (in the past I've tried a new racket and thought it was a big improvement but then after a week hated it - this has been the reverse ie. wasn't so sure at first but growing to like it).

It does have more power and I have to concentrate to avoid hitting long but it's what I wanted - with the HPS I would tend to hit short and be under powered particulary against strong players - I think the Vantage gives me more of a chance. My volleys have improved, I guess because of the better feel and manouverability, and I serve as well as I did with the HPS.

It's still strung with the Vantage multi and after pretty much only using PSGD 16 I'm keen to try something new - any suggestions as to what to try first? I thought the Vantage string was an improvement on PSGD but have read that people thought it had a 'mushy feel' - this is the first multi I've used so not got the experience to judge.

monologuist
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
How did you determine that? I thought the same weight and balance would mean a very similar swingweight.

Did you do anything to get the swingweights closer?

I sent them back to racquetmaxx...they measured the swingweights as being that different...they claimed that it was within their "tolerances"...in order to match the swingweights, they had to trim the grommet /bumper material..all to match the one with the lowest swingweight...unfortunately, the 2 that had the material trimmed no longer felt as solid...not as solid as the one with the lowest swignweight (but no grommet trimmed)...not sure why this is...anyway, the best thing to do is to make sure they know what your target swingweight is, then have them pick matching frames based on that (if you are ordering more than one)...I got tired of dealing with all of this and switched to the Yonex Ti-70 w/18x20 pattern, and never looked back...

McGee
02-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback! It sounds as though Vantage has a pretty decent following. I am concerned that I do not see any advertisements, articles, or press regarding Vantage in any way.....and they might be a "flash in the pan". Not much of a buzz (new announcements, products); just a website and a couple of ads in Tennis Week. I love the concept but I would hate to commit to their frames and find them out of business in a month or two (no more customer support, grommets, racquet development etc.). It seems as though they went silent during the past several months. I guess that they are still worth a look.

BLiND
02-03-2006, 03:19 AM
I've not heard this problem with the SW before.... I have matched weight and balanced racquets, and they feel the same in SW.

As for Vantage being a flash in the pan... deffinitly not, I've spoken to the owner a number of times, and his business is expanding. The reason you don't see many ads is simply because they are (compaired to the other companies) very small, and don't have money to spare on adverts... all their (your) money goes into the racquets!

Also, they have created a squash division which makes squash racquets, and are planning a badminton division... they are VERY busy!

McGee
09-05-2006, 09:19 AM
OK, summer's pretty much over and its been a few months. I have managed to demo a few Vantages and really liked the feel.

I'm just curious it there are any of you that have purchased Vantage frames and are either thrilled or disappointed after using them for a while. Have you gone back to other major mfg. sticks or are you really liking the Vantage racquets and will be sticking with them? I have held off ordering a couple of frames for the past few months but any updated feedback from users would be a big help. I still don't hear much about Vantage "on the street" re: how they are doing.

Thanks, and if I order the frames as planned, I will post a review (27.25", 95" head, 11.4 oz. unstrung, 70 flex, 16x19 pattern).