PDA

View Full Version : Baghdatis Hype Too Much?

Matthew
01-28-2006, 10:52 PM
In the last few years I have been watching tennis I have never seen a player hyped so much, so fast, for so little. Even more so than Nadal last year, Baghdatis has some huge expectations laid out in front of him now and I can't believe so much pressure and so much attention is being put on him for winning a few matches. No doubt, he has played amazing tennis and has shown a ton of heart, but I everyone is just reading too much into Marcos. Its almost unfortunate for him that he is so marketable for the ATP and the tournament.

What do you guys think? Is the hype too much?

= marios =
01-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I've said it in other threads too. I fear all this hype is going to boomerang (to use an aussie term) on him, unless he can keep up this form in the next few tournaments.

jamauss
01-28-2006, 10:57 PM
I agree 100%. The guy has a breakthrough in a slam. Awesome but, it's not as big of a thing as everyone is making it out to be. I think it's a tribute to how Federer's dominance has rendered every other players results so bland and average. The minute it looks like someone has a chance to legitimately compete against him they're labeled some "protege superstar" a la Nadal, Baghdatis.

= marios =
01-28-2006, 11:02 PM
"protege superstar"

You probably mean "prodigy", right?

VictorS.
01-28-2006, 11:03 PM
I honestly haven't been able to watch him play as much as I would like in this tournament being that they play at such odd times on TV. However, beating Roddick, Ljubicic, AND Nalbandian in the same tournament is a hell of an accomplishment. That's almost up there with Safin's effort last year.

It's obviously too early to predict how he'll fare the rest of the year. However, based on his current results....I'm really keen to see how he'll do.

jamauss
01-28-2006, 11:12 PM
You probably mean "prodigy", right?

Protege;
n : a person who receives support and protection from an influential patron who furthers the protege's career

Prodigy;
n 1: an unusually gifted or intelligent (young) person; someone whose talents excite wonder and admiration;

hmm...ya I guess it could've gone either way with that one. But hey, I'm groggy, I just woke up from a late nap. Ya know, gotta have energy to watch the final tonight. ;)

Fee
01-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Meh, it was grand slam hype, slightly more than Andy Murray got last year. But he's a good story, he's young, his smile is absolutely HUGE, he had a loud cheering section, he's the only player from his country, etc etc etc. Everyone says the story of Federer's dominance is getting dull and Marcos gave them something else to discuss.

He should take two to three weeks off after the AO (seriously) to let this madness die down a little bit, then head back out onto the tour after the first round of DC. He'll have fallen off the radar just enough to go about his business without too much pressure. Marat should be back around that time, and everyone will be talking about that instead.

= marios =
01-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Protege;
n : a person who receives support and protection from an influential patron who furthers the protege's career

Prodigy;
n 1: an unusually gifted or intelligent (young) person; someone whose talents excite wonder and admiration;

hmm...ya I guess it could've gone either way with that one. But hey, I'm groggy, I just woke up from a late nap. Ya know, gotta have energy to watch the final tonight. ;)

I was just wondering, cause if you did mean "protege" i was going to ask whose protege you think he is, apart from his coach of course.

So, let's watch these two prodigies and what they can do down under today. Only one hour left!

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 12:05 AM
In the last few years I have been watching tennis I have never seen a player hyped so much, so fast, for so little. Even more so than Nadal last year, Baghdatis has some huge expectations laid out in front of him now and I can't believe so much pressure and so much attention is being put on him for winning a few matches. No doubt, he has played amazing tennis and has shown a ton of heart, but I everyone is just reading too much into Marcos. Its almost unfortunate for him that he is so marketable for the ATP and the tournament.

What do you guys think? Is the hype too much?

IMO, the great story is that Baggy is from Cyprus.
A tiny country with a difficult history (esp. last 30 years).

35ft6
01-29-2006, 03:09 AM
Guys, he beat Roddick, Ljubicic, and Nalbandian back to back. That's pretty damn impressive. Even if he does nothing else for the rest of his career, what he's done is pretty phenomenal for anybody not named Federer. Too much hype? I haven't noticed. This is a huge story/development and people are understandably buzzing about it. Does that equate to unjustified hype? To me, no. He will never be number 1 in the world but his recent accomplishments IMO definitely warrants some high hopes.

rilokiley
01-29-2006, 03:52 AM
Tonight he showed that he deserved all the hype he got. Beautiful gf... I mean match.

Warriorroger
01-29-2006, 04:06 AM
He played great, the hype is legitimate, his home country never had a tennisplayer like him.

EmGee
01-29-2006, 04:13 AM
I don't think it's *too* much, per se. I agree with some of the posters above. Beating *one* seeded opponent (Roddick) can come off as a fluke. But to subsequently beat another seeded opponent (Ljubicic), and then another (Nalbandian, who a lot of people say was playing with new steam coming out of the TMC) shows that Baghdatis has got something. I also believe that should he be fitter and wasn't annoyed by that cramp (wasn't it?), the match would've gone into a fifth set decider.

Of course, the true measure of his achievement is prolonged accomplishment, that he would need to replicate it in other arenas. Roland Garros will be the next stop, but between now and then, there are still a lot of other tournaments for him to carve his name more firmly in the lore of men's tennis.

This year's Australian Open seems almost like a home turf for Baghdatis, with friends and family supporting him, and the whole country behind him. There will be times when the cheering crowd is not there for him. I hope he can prevail then too. Winning a "home" match is often easy, but winning an "away" match is rather more trickier.

I remember the hype surrounding the "Teen Titans" after their successful 2005 season, but they have failed to justify that they deserve such hype after posting a total of *one* match in this year's Australian Open.

But, what a final it was!

uNIVERSE mAN
01-29-2006, 04:33 AM
I honestly haven't been able to watch him play as much as I would like in this tournament being that they play at such odd times on TV. However, beating Roddick, Ljubicic, AND Nalbandian in the same tournament is a hell of an accomplishment. That's almost up there with Safin's effort last year.

It's obviously too early to predict how he'll fare the rest of the year. However, based on his current results....I'm really keen to see how he'll do.

wtf?? so what if he beat them in a row, Hewitt beat Blake, Chela, Nadal, Nalbandian and Roddick last year, and that makes him a legend??

35ft6
01-29-2006, 05:02 AM
^ Who said he's a legend? Quote him.

And last year Hewitt was already a 7 year tour veteran and former number 1. Maybe not as remarkable as Marcos doing it this year. Context.

wtaplayerz
01-29-2006, 05:08 AM
wtf?? so what if he beat them in a row, Hewitt beat Blake, Chela, Nadal, Nalbandian and Roddick last year, and that makes him a legend??

True.

VictorS.
01-30-2006, 09:10 PM

First of all, I don't really understand what angle you're coming from. I'm just stating that Baghdatis' effort this year at the Australian Open was REALLY REALLY impressive. Legendary? Maybe not.

By the way....Hewitt's efforts last year were probably even more impressive...beating those guys.

Journeyman
01-30-2006, 09:12 PM
No matter how good he gets the best he can be is number two.

VolklVenom
01-30-2006, 09:32 PM
when Baghdatis is 26, Federer will be playing golf 5 times a week.

devila
01-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Roddick is crap. Ljubicic lacks much talent and titles. Is it that hard to beat them now?

byealmeens
01-31-2006, 06:36 AM
Wow, I am surprised at these responses. I agree with 35ft6 - this was a very impressive result, but I'll go one step further. I think Baghdatis is extremely talented, and will some day be a solid top 5 player and Grand Slam Champion. Does that deserve some hype? I would think so. What we witnessed at the AO was just the begininng...

pound cat
01-31-2006, 06:53 AM
He deserves all the hype he got because single-handedly he brought excitement and fan involvement to an Australian Open which could have been a real bust with 3 top players missing. Paul McNamee must LOVE the guy who saved the tournament he runs.

Free_Martha
01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Baghdatis deserves all the hype. He made the Australian Open exciting this year and the crowd was definitely rooting for him in the final.