PDA

View Full Version : Volkl V-Rex 16L

DANMAN
01-28-2006, 10:26 PM
There hasn't been much buzz about this string so I gave it a try. I've played three matches with it and am thoroughly impressed. It seems to be quite stiff but feels reasonably comfortable. Spin is on par with any Luxilons and may even be better. It has a lot more control than any of the Luxilon strings (including Timo) but also has less power. It has a very satisfying thwack when the ball is struck cleanly. It feels extremely similar to Kirschbaum Competition, which I liked a fair amount. If these suckers hold tension like advertised, I would say they are the best control oriented strings on the market bar none (and I have tried every Luxilon, Big Hitter, Poly Plasma, Hurricane, Enduro Pro, Touch Turbo, Spinfire Maxipower, Ultra Tour, Spinfire, Polyspin etc...). I am looking forward to seeing how it lasts. Let me know if any of you want some more info.
DANMAN

mctennis
01-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Please keep us updated as to how it plays with more court time. I know Volkl has been coming out with more strings. I use Volkl's and would like to use their strings IF they are decent. I've come to use gut mostly or a gut/TiMO hybrid. Keep us posted please.

spindoktur
01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I have the V-Rex in a hybrid with OG Sheep Super 16 @ 55/58lbs on a LM Instinct Tour XL, and have hit with it a couple of times just to see how it felt (my main stick is an i.Prestige XL). I agree with Danman that the control on this string is pretty good, and shots had nice pop and feel to them. What I didn't like was the Instinct XL though, and I felt it was a little too powerful and stiff for my liking. I wasn't too crazy about the string pattern too, but overall I think Volkl has a pretty good string here... I'm just waiting to try out the Signum Poly Pro Plasma 17L