PDA

View Full Version : Removing bumper, will i have to fill the holes?

morten
01-29-2006, 02:44 AM
or not so important..? Also, how many grams is, say the bumper on a mw 200g?

TennisAsAlways
01-29-2006, 03:27 AM
or not so important..? Also, how many grams is, say the bumper on a mw 200g?If you want to find out how much it weighs you can just remove it and weigh it.

morten
01-29-2006, 03:42 AM
racket is strung

TennisAsAlways
01-29-2006, 04:05 AM
^If the bumper weight falls within a range that you would want to get rid of, you would have to remove the strings anyways in order to remove the bumper, and so you mind as well remove it to find out how much it weighs. That's what I meant.

TennisAsAlways
01-29-2006, 04:10 AM
^ I know what your reply will be:

"I don't want to cut the strings if the bumper weight is not relevant and so that's why I am asking so that I can avoid wasting the strings."

Well let me answer your reply (The reply I made up for you, to save you some time.):

Just cough up some cash.

morten
01-29-2006, 04:24 AM
I dont want to cut the strings if.... lol
Thanks.

morten
01-29-2006, 04:29 AM
can i just remove it and string again? (holes)

TennisAsAlways
01-29-2006, 04:43 AM
can i just remove it and string again? (holes)I've never heard of it ever being possible to remove the holes. :confused:

morten
01-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Thats a good one, ever considered your own talkshow? I mean will i need plastic grommets or something IN the holes, to protect the strings.

Michelangelo
01-29-2006, 06:07 AM
Are you using ProKennex rackets? Some of them have option whether to put the bumper or not.

morten
01-29-2006, 06:56 AM
not pro k.....

nViATi
01-29-2006, 07:37 AM
or not so important..? Also, how many grams is, say the bumper on a mw 200g?
If you remove the bumperguard/grommet then the strings will break when you restring it. A better alternative is to cut the bumper part and leave the grommets intact.

TennisAsAlways
01-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Thats a good one, ever considered your own talkshow? I mean will i need plastic grommets or something IN the holes, to protect the strings.There are a few options. I'll name a couple. You can just cut out each individual grommet. A more convenient way would be to just trim off strips of the bumper along both sides and so what you should end up with is a more narrow bumper (obviously you won't remove asmuch mass with this method). If you do decide to trim away the bumper, I would weigh it first. Then I would go with the second approach that I have described. If it's still too heavy, then resort to the first approach. It's just like what barbers say, "you can always cut more but you can't take back what you've already cut".

Bent
01-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi Morten.

I have 3 MW's and change the grommets/bumpers every 3-4 months.

And it is a challenge !!!

But the best way to install new grommets is to wait until the strings break and then install the new grommets

(http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/orderproduct.html?PCODE=MF200GMPG).

TennisAsAlways
01-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Morten.

I have 3 MW's and change the grommets/bumpers every 3-4 months.

And it is a challenge !!!

But the best way to install new grommets is to wait until the strings break and then install the new grommets

(http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/orderproduct.html?PCODE=MF200GMPG).I don't think Morten is looking to replace the bumper but to remove some or all of it in order to decrease swing weight.....right Morten???

morten
01-30-2006, 01:03 AM
right...........

Deuce
01-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Invest in a 5 pound weight, lift itrepeatedly for, say, 10 to 15 minutes, 3 or 4 times a day, for two weeks...

... after which, your little plastic bumper will weigh exactly 0 grams.

morten
01-30-2006, 01:10 AM
can i trim bumper without cutting the strings? That would be great btw.

TennisAsAlways
01-30-2006, 08:30 AM
can i trim bumper without cutting the strings? That would be great btw.You can but it would be a pain to do it that way. It may be difficult to end up with nice even edges if you do it that way. Easiet way is to just plan on having a string change and then do the bumper work. This is why it's nice to have multiple racquets. This seems like a case whereas you probably don't want to have to restring it because you would have to wait a while to get it back and you don't want to be without a racquet.........right Morten?

Deuce
01-30-2006, 09:16 PM
By the way - if you cut or remove the bumper, your racquet will get very scratched up while playing.

Having read through the thread, I felt someone had to provide this essential, if obvious, information.