PDA

View Full Version : Champions who are Great Role Models on and off the court

Applez
01-29-2006, 03:56 AM
Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Monica Seles, Martina Navratilova, Andre Agassi, Chris Evert

Grigollif1
01-29-2006, 04:01 AM
Yes and just to add John Mcenroe, Marcelo Rios and Mor recently Nicolas Kiefer and Justin HH.

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 04:07 AM
Yes and just to add John Mcenroe, Marcelo Rios and Mor recently Nicolas Kiefer and Justin HH.

Good one...ha, ha, ha

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 04:09 AM
Roger Federer, Pete Sampras, Monica Seles, Martina Navratilova, Andre Agassi, Chris Evert

We have to add Steffi Graf who actually is perhaps THE player whose name is most linked to the ideals of "class" and "dignity". I remember that when she retired in 1999 almost EVERY newspaper article stated that she was an epitome of class.

The young Agassi was a punk and even now and then his bad manners come through (swearing on court). But his wife obviously has a good influence on him.

Evert f**ed to much around in her youth, she was not exactly a classy girl. But later in her career she improved class-wise.

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 04:11 AM
We have to add Steffi Graf who actually is perhaps THE player whose name is most linked to the ideals of "class" and "dignity". I remember that when she retired in 1999 almost EVERY newspaper article stated that she was an epitome of class.

I don't think so Pike Troll!!!

Truth be told. Steffi Graf was a terrible ambassador to the sport of tennis!!! She was the epitome of dark coldness and never gave anything back to the sport.

RogerRulez
01-29-2006, 04:13 AM

Best choices by far!

Grigollif1
01-29-2006, 04:18 AM

The only reason in my opinion you open this thread was to resurect the old Graff Monica sales Feud... That is easy to read as an open book that you looking for more controversy. There is not such thing as a
"role Model" in my opinion, it is a failed ideology because sooner or later label role models will break down, as all human beings do...

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 04:22 AM
The only reason in my opinion you open this thread was to resurect the old Graff Monica sales Feud... That is easy to read as an open book that you looking for more controversy. There is not such thing as a
"role Model" in my opinion, it is a failed ideology because sooner or later label role models will break down, as all human beings do...

How many aliases do you have Warriorroger? And you are upset because Graf was not included in apples' choices? LMAO

You are one twisted psychopath... Steffi was never a likable champion nor was a great ambassador for the sport...

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 04:22 AM
I don't think so Pike Troll!!!

Truth be told. Steffi Graf was a terrible ambassador to the sport of tennis!!! She was epitome of dark coldness and never gave anything back to the sport.

I don't agree with you post, Tundra.

I don't know which female player in the history of the sport drew more fans to women's tennis than Graf. She had - and still has! - an enormous world-wide following among tennis fans. She almost single-handedly conquered the Asian market for women's tennis. She won almost all popularity contests in Europe. TIME magazine elected her as one of European Heroes in 2004 for her class on-court and for her great charity work (she has her own multi-million-dollar charity for traumatized kids).

Her influence on how we see women in sports today is considerable. She was able to combine supreme athleticism and femininity as now other woman before or after her were able to do. Many of today's female athletes are very manly (eg. Williams sisters, Davenport, Mauresmo).

Grigollif1
01-29-2006, 04:28 AM
How many aliases do you have Warriorroger? And you are upset because Graf was not included in apples' choices? LMAO

You are one twisted psychopath... Steffi was never a likable champion nor was a great ambassador for the sport...

I'm nobody aliases, I am in no WAR....You can have have your Little feuds about Graf and Monica all you want for as long as you whish. I Believe they are both great tennis player on and off the court and have their Strenghts and Weakness just like everybody else...

RogerRulez
01-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Truth be told. Steffi Graf was a terrible ambassador to the sport of tennis!!! She was the epitome of dark coldness and never gave anything back to the sport.

IMO, an excellent player but not a nice person!

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 04:30 AM
I'm nobody aliases, I am in no WAR....You can have have your Little feuds about Gra and Monica all you want. I Believe they are both great tennis player and have their Strenghts and Weakness just like everybody else...
You are psycho here!

Yeah right. Warriorroger psychopath!!!! LMAO

Grigollif1
01-29-2006, 04:35 AM
Yeah right. Warriorroger psychopath!!!! LMAO

Not worth it... Fake posters like these, that have many different accounts and can go on calling other people names are the new disease of the TW Forum.

vicnan
01-29-2006, 04:35 AM
Steffi Graf... never gave anything back to the sport.

So, AA is not getting any? :confused:

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 04:37 AM

Good point.

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Not worth it... Fake posters like these, that have many different accounts and can go on calling other people names are the new disease of the TW Forum.

LOL, Warriorroger the psycho is getting SO desperate now...LMAO

Do you think the dirty tricks you have used so often in the other boards will work here? LMAO...what an IDIOT!

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 04:49 AM
Good point.

talking to yourself Gunther Pike? LMAO

AeonT
01-29-2006, 04:50 AM

How about her number one fan? Gunther Parche:confused:

35ft6
01-29-2006, 04:53 AM
What made Pete Sampras a great role model off court? Not really so much a challenge as it is a genuine curiosity. I'm sure he has a foundation or two but I never really heard much about his off court life. I thought that was the whole point with him, very private off court but took care of business ON court ("... and that should be enough for you people!).

Docalex007
01-29-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm getting nauseated with all these noobs posting irrelevant one liners like this one.

williams planet
01-29-2006, 05:58 AM

Perfect list applez but you could have included Billy Jean King as well.

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 06:02 AM
Perfect list applez but you could have included Billy Jean King as well.

Hm, I don't know - that would be 3 lesbians in the list. We have to give the heteros more slack ....

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 06:20 AM
Hm, I don't know - that would be 3 lesbians in the list. We have to give the heteros more slack ....

Gunther Pike, the only lesbian or bi perhaps that I know was your dogface goddess. I think there was something MORE to her unsual very close "friendship" with Rennae Stubbs. LOL...

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 06:30 AM
IMO, an excellent player but not a nice person!

Actually she was and is loved so much world-wide because she such a nice and adorable person.

TIME Magazine summed it up perfectly last year:

"Love All

She gave up tennis but not the adoration of her fans. And she's still a champion to troubled kids around the world

A few sports stars win something rarer than trophies or championships - an enduring place in the public's affections. Steffi Graf is one of them. She hung up her racket five years ago after winning an amazing 22 Grand Slam titles, but that doesn't mean she is any less busy or beloved. ..."

An "enduring place in the public's affections".
What a woman!

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Gunther Pike, the only lesbian or bi perhaps that I know was your dogface goddess. I think there was something MORE to her unsual very close "friendship" with Rennae Stubbs. LOL...

Navratilova a friend of Stubbs???
Or do you mean King or Seles?
Hey, didn't know that ....

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Lollllllllll

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Actually she was and is loved so much world-wide because she such a nice and adorable person.

TIME Magazine summed it up perfectly last year:

"Love All

She gave up tennis but not the adoration of her fans. And she's still a champion to troubled kids around the world

A few sports stars win something rarer than trophies or championships - an enduring place in the public's affections. Steffi Graf is one of them. She hung up her racket five years ago after winning an amazing 22 Grand Slam titles, but that doesn't mean she is any less busy or beloved. ..."

An "enduring place in the public's affections".
What a woman!

excerpts from a 1994 SI article..

In the locker room Graf is regarded as distant. She rarely says hello to other players, much less stops to chat. Navratilova says she has never had an extended conversation with Graf. Chris Evert lives two blocks from her in Boca Raton, but Graf has not spoken to her in a year.

Graf's manner can quickly cross the line from aloof to rude. She has a habit of cutting people off in midsentence and turning on her heels. On the tour she treats officials curtly and has resisted efforts by the Women's Tennis Association to get her involved in the governance and promotion of the game. Her reluctance to assist in those efforts comes despite the fact that tennis is, after all, what has made Graf wealthy beyond imagination.

Nalbandian
01-29-2006, 06:38 AM
Navratilova a friend of Stubbs???
Or do you mean King or Seles?
Hey, didn't know that ....

You know so little about tennis Gunther Pike...How pathetic..

legolas
01-29-2006, 08:13 AM
mwahahahahaha

Shabazza
01-29-2006, 12:22 PM
great role models.....Sharapova on the court, Serena off the court!
on the mens side Safin for both!

breakfast_of_champions
01-29-2006, 02:51 PM
take martina off and put steffi on. trolling for young girls in the locker room is not exactly being a good role model, or the many ridiculous statements martina has made over the years. nor is pushing camaras into reporters faces, after losing a tennis match. or her well publicized breakup/lawsuit with a second rate actress/bloodsucker. steffi defined quiet confidence and determination, as well as being attractive, a devoted wife, and mother.

Michael Haller
01-29-2006, 02:56 PM

In the locker room Graf is regarded as distant. She rarely says hello to other players, much less stops to chat. Navratilova says she has never had an extended conversation with Graf. Chris Evert lives two blocks from her in Boca Raton, but Graf has not spoken to her in a year.

Graf's manner can quickly cross the line from aloof to rude. She has a habit of cutting people off in midsentence and turning on her heels. On the tour she treats officials curtly and has resisted efforts by the Women's Tennis Association to get her involved in the governance and promotion of the game. Her reluctance to assist in those efforts comes despite the fact that tennis is, after all, what has made Graf wealthy beyond imagination.

I don't think Evert and Navratilova are persons I'd like to have a long chat with. And those WTA morons should have kissed Graf's feet because she single-handedly carried the women's game from 1986 until 1999. Graf playing tennis was by far the best promotion women's tennis ever had. She made real men watch the sport as well.

RogerRulez
01-29-2006, 03:18 PM

She had the personality of a clam!

skip1969
01-29-2006, 03:21 PM
What made Pete Sampras a great role model off court? Not really so much a challenge as it is a genuine curiosity. I'm sure he has a foundation or two but I never really heard much about his off court life. I thought that was the whole point with him, very private off court but took care of business ON court ("... and that should be enough for you people!).

good point. i mean, since when are athletes or movie stars or anyone in the public eye obligated to be "nice" or "charitable"? (or generous or anything else, for that matter)

they don't even have to be honest or noble or gracious . . .

and it's foolish for us to expect them to. that's like expecting everyone at our jobs or schools or neighborhoods to be that up-standing. athletes and stars are a bunch of people thrown together who happen to be in the same business. and in any business there are good people and bad. to expect any more of them to be of higher moral character than the average joe you bump into in the produce section of the supermarket . . . is asking a lot.

a decent vegetarian and a decent tennis professional have one thing in common: they are both decent human beings. that fact that one is famous, wealthy, and on tv should be entirely irrelevant.

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 12:30 PM
She had the personality of a clam!

SI is American, isn't it?
A sports magazine well known for it's nationalistic view of world sports, no?

So what's your point, man?

Nalbandian
01-30-2006, 12:49 PM
SI is American, isn't it?
A sports magazine well known for it's nationalistic view of world sports, no?

So what's your point, man?

I think his point was that you are obsessed over an overrated retired German player with zero social skills as Gunther Parche was...

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
I think his point is that you are obsessed over an overrated retired German player with zero social skills as Gunther Parche was...

You are wrong here.
I am obsessed with no-one.
But I like Steffi Graf.
Whose social skills were praised even by (U.S.) TIME Magazine naming her "European Hero 2004" for it.

Nalbandian
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
You are wrong here.
I am obsessed with no-one.
But I like Steffi Graf.
Whose social skills were praised even by (U.S.) TIME Magazine naming her "European Hero 2004" for it.

You are OBSESSED Joe Pike aka Michael Haller. Your idol was one of the excellent players in the late 80s but a terrible ambassador to the sport.

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 01:12 PM
You are OBSESSED Joe Pike aka Michael Haller. Your idol was one of the excellent players in the late 80s but a terrible ambassador to the sport.

Which woman player drew more fans to tennis than Graf?

:D

Nalbandian
01-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Which woman player drew more fans to tennis than Graf?

:D

Surely it wasn't Graf. She drew more psychotic fans like you and Parche....I wonder why...

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Surely it wasn't Graf. She drew more psychotic fans like you and Parche....I wonder why...

Come on, no back-pedaling: Which woman player drew more fans to the game than Graf?

Nalbandian
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah Pike, you mean the doubles GERMAN combo that drew the most psycho fans? LMAO.

darrinbaker00
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Mr. Haller and Mr. Parche are one and the same, you know.....

Michael Haller
02-05-2006, 09:51 PM
take martina off and put steffi on. trolling for young girls in the locker room is not exactly being a good role model, or the many ridiculous statements martina has made over the years. nor is pushing camaras into reporters faces, after losing a tennis match. or her well publicized breakup/lawsuit with a second rate actress/bloodsucker. steffi defined quiet confidence and determination, as well as being attractive, a devoted wife, and mother.

Great post!

"And more than anyone this side of Chris Evert, Graf did her spanking with a dignity and class that Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, Monica Seles and Martina Navratilova would beg to have. "
(Sportstar, August 28, 1999)

RogerRulez
02-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Great post!

"And more than anyone this side of Chris Evert, Graf did her spanking with a dignity and class that Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, Monica Seles and Martina Navratilova would beg to have. "
(Sportstar, August 28, 1999)

Yeah! things Graf NEVER had! Personality and Class!

Yay!

Michael Haller
02-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah! things Graf NEVER had! Personality and Class!

Yay!

Nay!

"Throughout her tennis career, Steffi exhibited extended excellence through many a crisis, showing class and dignity ..."

"And more than anyone this side of Chris Evert, Graf did her spanking with a dignity and class that Venus Williams, Martina Hingis, Monica Seles and Martina Navratilova would beg to have. ..."

"'She had an unbelievable career, and she did it with a lot of class,' said Pete Sampras."

"And with all the class and professionalism of a veteran champion, Miss Steffi Graf won her sixth  and final French Open title, out-poising her  younger, brasher, and more fragile opponent for  the Grand Slam championship. ..."

"Steffi Graf exuded class, character, charisma, consistency and convincing craft to reach the pinnacle."

"One-on-one, Graf has surpassed all the greats. The debate for anyone else is almost impossible to argue now after Graf rallied to beat Hingis when the tempestuous, self-absorbed Swiss teenager had a chance to serve out the match. It was a triumph of class over crass. Poise over petulance. Grace over gross. Mind over mine. ..."

"And later that week, in keeping with the class act that she always is, Steffi would place a half-page ad in the French newspaper, thanking the fans for their many years of support. The newspaper, so touched by her gesture, gave her the space for free - a fitting tribute to such a great lady, and a champion's champion. ... "

class personified.
What a woman!!!

Nalbandian
02-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Nay!

classless personified.
What a woman!!!

I agree psycho Haller..... LMAO.....

Michael Haller
02-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I admit it - Seles is a little bit overrated .....

LOL!
"Little bit" is good!
Overrated big-time, IMO!!!

(But slowly you are learning obviously ... )

Nalbandian
02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Yes, Graf was the most overrated player in women's tennis history......Winning all those Gunther Slams and asterisk years at #1...... )

Finally, we agree. Great thinking Gunther Pike....

LOL