PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my 200g.. should I restring?

Newberry
01-29-2006, 04:50 AM
I've just completed my first few string jobs, going from a few practice racquets, working my way to my Dunlop max 200g.

Yesterday I noticed a crack in one of my racquets, my max enforcer. If you haven't seen this racquet, it has a large triangular head. It has a 1/8" crack in the side of the frame (you could call it9 o'clock).
I did string the crosses a bit high at 67lbs (frame is rated for 65lbs), and the frame is quite old. I would think that such a long, straight area wouldn't be as strong as a more traditional curved head.

Now I'm worried about my 200g because I've since found that I strung the crosses from the throat up, when the patterns call for head down (2 piece).
I did stick with the recommended 55lbs for tension (syngut).
Should I be worried?

http://home.ntelos.net/~nberry4/Tennis/Max%20Enforcer/maxcrack.jpg

Bryan Aldridge
01-29-2006, 07:14 AM
If you're talking about the old real flexible max 200G (85 si. head), then yes it should have been done crosses top to bottom. I can't really see how you did it vice versa as the mains end at the top on this racquet. You may be okay but I'd restring it.

PBODY99
01-29-2006, 07:19 AM
The max 200 g should be ok, but the reason for the top down is to reduce the stress on the hoop while installing the string.
As the the Enforcer, the picture clearly shows some court contact at the site of the break. As frames get older they cannot stand the stress of going over the factory range.

Gaines Hillix
01-29-2006, 07:37 AM
If your 200g survived stringing it from the bottom up this time there's no need to restring it, IMO. You can redistribute the force by taking your thumbs and pressing hard on the strings starting at the top working your way down to the bottom of the frame. Just make sure you do it top down in the future.

Newberry
01-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Yes, my max is the old "made in england" flexible racquet. I strung two piece so I just started at the throat. 200g doesn't have grommets like a conventional racquet, they are all large holes and don't give any clues about where to begin knots.

I may re-string it just for fun. I did go with 55lbs on my old t-145 stringer (I have checked the scale).

When a racquet like this specifies 55lbs, is that most likely on a machine with fixed clamps?
I'm using floating clamps, so could I go say 57lbs and be closer to the feel of 55lbs on a fixed clamp machine?

Thanks for the replies all.