PDA

View Full Version : Tension on hybrids

DarkSlayerX
01-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi, I'm about to buy a pure storm with luxilion bb rough 16g and babolat vs gut

17g. I'm going to put luxilion on mains and vs guy on crosses, but i read in deuce

magazine (lleyton hewitt on the cover) said that if you lower the tension on poly

and raise the tension on the gut a little it would form a "monofilament polyester

closer to feel of gut" is this good or what?

smittysan89
01-29-2006, 06:50 AM
well you wanna lower the tension on poly compared to syn gut or a multi in the first place. I think thats what they mean.

DarkSlayerX
01-29-2006, 07:02 AM
well, should I put gut on mains, raise the tension and poly on crosses and lower

tension or poly on mains with lower tension and raise tension on crosses with

gut?

sharapovalover
01-29-2006, 07:08 AM
i have the same set-up but the gauges reversed you could try stringing it at 62 mains 64 crosses

DarkSlayerX
01-29-2006, 07:16 AM
which poly would be the best for the mains? luxilion bb alu rough 16L or babolat pro hurricane 17g?

Gaines Hillix
01-29-2006, 07:24 AM
well, should I put gut on mains, raise the tension and poly on crosses and lower

tension or poly on mains with lower tension and raise tension on crosses with

gut?

You need to consider that around 80% of the feel and performance of the string job is going to come from the string that's used in the mains. Gut is much softer and more powerful than the Luxilon. If you use the Lux string in the crosses it will dampen the power of the gut and give you more control while retaining most of the arm friendly characteristics of the gut. If you use the Lux string in the mains your setup will be lower powered and more control oriented, but the gut will soften the stringbed so that it's not so hard and stiff feeling(but it will still be much stiffer). This is all about what you want to accomplish for your game, not which one is best.