PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILER**Result perfect for Baghdatis **SPOILER**

pound cat
01-29-2006, 08:25 AM
Baghdatis was not ready for a Slam title. He has no ATP titles, (exc. junior) a less than .500 win/lose result this year, virtually no tennnis history & he came out of nowhere. Imagine if he had beaten Federer! The pressure would be unimaginable...expectations, people wanting a piece of him, the perfect ending that he would be trying to duplicate. Hard for any 20 years old (just ask Safin what his USO win did to him for years...screwed him up royally) let alone a pretty unsophisticated but sincere and joyful guy could be ruined by this. No, it's great that he played 1 1/2 sets really well & could hang with the best, but winning this was not for him....yet. I'm sure a great part of his disappointment in his loss was feeling that he had let down his family who had given up so much for his tennis. He'll get over this loss...but he's hit the big times...and he'll build on it. Ela Marcos. Thanks for the great final.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 09:03 AM
We will see. With so many young stars his age or younger it might turn out to be his best ever chance to win a slam. It wouldnt surprise me. Remember Berdych, Nadal, Gasquet, Monfils, Djokovic, Murray, are all his age or younger and all are coming up.

pound cat
01-29-2006, 09:21 AM
It makes you wonder what role "destiny" plays . If you're Greek or a Slav, a lot. Fatalistic bunch. LOL

vicnan
01-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Baghdatis was not ready for a Slam title. He has no ATP titles, (exc. junior) a less than .500 win/lose result this year, virtually no tennnis history & he came out of nowhere. Imagine if he had beaten Federer! The pressure would be unimaginable...expectations, people wanting a piece of him, the perfect ending that he would be trying to duplicate. Hard for any 20 years old (just ask Safin what his USO win did to him for years...screwed him up royally) let alone a pretty unsophisticated but sincere and joyful guy could be ruined by this. No, it's great that he played 1 1/2 sets really well & could hang with the best, but winning this was not for him....yet. I'm sure a great part of his disappointment in his loss was feeling that he had let down his family who had given up so much for his tennis. He'll get over this loss...but he's hit the big times...and he'll build on it. Ela Marcos. Thanks for the great final.

Good point. I think this close call will keep his desire level high and make him want more. Just the recipe he needs to work and train harder -- something that was admittedly a problem until last year. He certainly appears to be grounded enough to understand what a win would mean for him and his country.

okdude1992
01-29-2006, 12:12 PM
We will see. With so many young stars his age or younger it might turn out to be his best ever chance to win a slam. It wouldnt surprise me. Remember Berdych, Nadal, Gasquet, Monfils, Djokovic, Murray, are all his age or younger and all are coming up.
no way!!!!!! remember that none of these players made it past the 1st round (Nadal didn't play of course) All except Nadal are unprooven...Nadal isn't like a youngster hes a top player...other than that this list is c***. those players have talent, yes but all are headcases...besides they didn't make the final now did they...Baghdatis has the heart of a champion..since i saw him 2 years ago I knew he would become great...Hes got the game to win too...by the end of the year he will be in the top ten for sure (providing he doesn't get injured) or even further!!! Go Marcos

alienhamster
01-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Baghdatis was not ready for a Slam title. He has no ATP titles, (exc. junior) a less than .500 win/lose result this year, virtually no tennnis history & he came out of nowhere. Imagine if he had beaten Federer! The pressure would be unimaginable...expectations, people wanting a piece of him, the perfect ending that he would be trying to duplicate. Hard for any 20 years old (just ask Safin what his USO win did to him for years...screwed him up royally) let alone a pretty unsophisticated but sincere and joyful guy could be ruined by this. No, it's great that he played 1 1/2 sets really well & could hang with the best, but winning this was not for him....yet. I'm sure a great part of his disappointment in his loss was feeling that he had let down his family who had given up so much for his tennis. He'll get over this loss...but he's hit the big times...and he'll build on it. Ela Marcos. Thanks for the great final. Interesting premise. You're probably right. Either way this is a breakthru for him, and this one will be much less pressure-filled.

He can at least take away from this that he can get in much better shape, and that when he's on, his game can hold up with the best.

Shabazza
01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Just what I thought, too, after this match!