PDA

View Full Version : Bagdatis had a good tournament, but top 10 I think not.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 08:32 AM
Baghdatis had an impressive tournament but he was also very fortunate a number of ways:

1)He was in the bottom half which did not have the players playing the best. Federer, Haas, Kiefer, where the players playing the best at this tournament, and I doubt he would have survived in that tougher top half near as long.

2)Federer was obviously very nervous and played the worst first 2 sets I have seen him play since his disaesterous performance of the 1st round of the French Open in 2003. It is telling Fed with his D- game ended up at 1 set all with Baghdatis's A+ game. Once Roger came to life we see what happened.

3)Nalbandian choked several times in the semis, something he is noted to do in slam semis and finals. Should have won the match in straights.

4)Roddick played a very defensive match, 10 feet behind the baseline, and wasnt on his game in any area but the serve.

Marcos played well but he had alot of help along the way. I dont think he will get this tournament in tournament out. I will go on record now to say I will be very surprised if he does make the top 10 by years end.

pound cat
01-29-2006, 08:42 AM
You may carry on this discussion with Brad Gilbert and Pat McEnroe who both thnk he could be top 10 by next year. (not this year )

Muse
01-29-2006, 08:43 AM
He's definately up and coming. I mean, he was a former junior champion so you know he's got the skills, he just put it all together this tournament. He's definately gonna be in the top 10 soon.

ps. Does anyone know what his ranking is gonna be now?

West Coast Ace
01-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Time will tell. He certainly won't be sneaking up on anyone. And who knows how he'll handle the pressure of increased expectations. And even Gilbert did point out he needs to work on his fitness.

But he does have a great forehand, sneakily good 1st serve, great wheels, and a fighting spirit.

Pen Express
01-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Muse: His ranking is going up to 26th in the world.

pound cat
01-29-2006, 08:50 AM
He's definately up and coming. I mean, he was a former junior champion so you know he's got the skills, he just put it all together this tournament. He's definately gonna be in the top 10 soon.

ps. Does anyone know what his ranking is gonna be now?

ohplease
01-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Baghdatis had an impressive tournament but he was also very fortunate a number of ways:

1)He was in the bottom half which did not have the players playing the best. Federer, Haas, Kiefer, where the players playing the best at this tournament, and I doubt he would have survived in that tougher top half near as long.

2)Federer was obviously very nervous and played the worst first 2 sets I have seen him play since his disaesterous performance of the 1st round of the French Open in 2003. It is telling Fed with his D- game ended up at 1 set all with Baghdatis's A+ game. Once Roger came to life we see what happened.

3)Nalbandian choked several times in the semis, something he is noted to do in slam semis and finals. Should have won the match in straights.

4)Roddick played a very defensive match, 10 feet behind the baseline, and wasnt on his game in any area but the serve.

Marcos played well but he had alot of help along the way. I dont think he will get this tournament in tournament out. I will go on record now to say I will be very surprised if he does make the top 10 by years end.

You're predicting a poor rest of the year for someone who just made a slam final, beating two top 5 players, with basically zero points to defend. Not a good bet. Martin Verkerk was top 10 the year he made the French final until shuting it down after the USO. Philippoussis after his 03 wimbledon final? Same thing.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 09:02 AM
You're predicting a poor rest of the year for someone who just made a slam final, beating two top 5 players, with basically zero points to defend. Not a good bet. Martin Verkerk was top 10 the year he made the French final until shuting it down after the USO. Philippoussis after his 03 wimbledon final? Same thing.

I am not predicting a poor rest of the year. Just not good enough to be in the top 10. I fhe averages around a 3rd round result at the remaining slams, and around between a round of 32-round of 16 at the remaining Masters events that might not make top 10 even with his points from Australia. He wont have the benefit of 3 of the 4 best people he plays highly underperforming in most of his events, people will understand his game better than they did before this event, and there will be alot more pressure on him.

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 09:29 AM
You may carry on this discussion with Brad Gilbert and Pat McEnroe who both thnk he could be top 10 by next year. (not this year )

They say that everytime someone beats roddick. Even the other announcer took a poke at them about this. Paul-Henri Mathieu was his name, gilber mac also said the same thing about ginepri and others. It happens everytime.

Steve Dykstra
01-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I like his game a lot and I think he will finish the year in the top 10. Regardless of how you put it, he beat Roddick, Nalbandian, and Ljubicic on hard courts who will be ranked 3, 4, and 5 I believe. They would all beat Haas and Kiefer here at the AO (well maybe Haas could have beaten Roddick). I wouldn't be surprised to see him go deep at another slam or win a Masters Series. I think it would a very bad year for him to not make the top 10 this year.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 10:06 AM
I like his game a lot and I think he will finish the year in the top 10. Regardless of how you put it, he beat Roddick, Nalbandian, and Ljubicic on hard courts who will be ranked 3, 4, and 5 I believe. They would all beat Haas and Kiefer here at the AO (well maybe Haas could have beaten Roddick). I wouldn't be surprised to see him go deep at another slam or win a Masters Series. I think it would a very bad year for him to not make the top 10 this year.

The level of tennis Kiefer and Haas played in the matches I saw of them was higher than Roddick or Nalbandian at this event(did not see much of Ljubicic except his quarterfinal). I fully expect Kiefer and Haas would have beaten Nalbandian had they played him here. As for Roddick, Haas has a mental block vs Roddick and loses leads in some recent matchups, and Kiefer has a very bad history with Roddick, so maybe not, but that does not mean their level of play was not as high or higher at this particular event.

I will be very surprised to see Baghdatis win a Masters event this year.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 10:08 AM
They say that everytime someone beats roddick. Even the other announcer took a poke at them about this. Paul-Henri Mathieu was his name, gilber mac also said the same thing about ginepri and others. It happens everytime.

You are right, a win over Roddick and you automaticaly going into the top 10 it seems. The depth of mens tennis is such, people not able to reach top 10 on the basis of year in-year out play can beat top few players however.

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 11:42 AM
The level of tennis Kiefer and Haas played in the matches I saw of them was higher than Roddick or Nalbandian at this event(did not see much of Ljubicic except his quarterfinal). I fully expect Kiefer and Haas would have beaten Nalbandian had they played him here. As for Roddick, Haas has a mental block vs Roddick and loses leads in some recent matchups, and Kiefer has a very bad history with Roddick, so maybe not, but that does not mean their level of play was not as high or higher at this particular event.

I will be very surprised to see Baghdatis win a Masters event this year.

I thought the kiefer-juan carlos was some of the best baseline tennis i saw this year. That hewitt quarter was stacked. Kiefer was serving like 140+.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 11:51 AM
I thought the kiefer-juan carlos was some of the best baseline tennis i saw this year. That hewitt quarter was stacked. Kiefer was serving like 140+.

I agree, the Kiefer-Ferrero match was incredable. I dont like either player but I loved watching it. Hewitt was never in form to survive that quarter this year.

skip1969
01-29-2006, 12:07 PM
it's hard for anyone to break into the top 10 in less than a year after coming from nowhere. having said that (and at a time when lots of people are questioning the fitness and/or the commitment of some of the top, well-paid pros in our sport), bag seems to have something that many other don't . . . and that's DESIRE. i think it's already been said, but the guy seems very hungry (while others are hurt, or their games have plateaued). so he will be 26 come monday? it's only january. the kid did NOTHING last year so there are no points to defend . . .

now, he still has to get fitter, true. and maybe it won't happen so soon for him. but he's can only get better. and climb up the rankings.

Californication
01-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Baghdatis has what it takes to reach the Top 10.

You're going to tell me he had an easy draw? Sure, he lucked out of facing Ginepri after Robby blew a 3-1 fifth set lead in the 2nd round, but Marcos still had to go through a lot of quality players. Stepanek is no slouch. Roddick was absolutely dominated by Baghdatis. You say that Roddick was 10 feet behind the baseline. Why do you think so? Baghdatis was forcing him back with huge returns. Aside from Federer, I've seen very few players play with Roddick's serve the way Marcos did. And I suppose beating Ivan Ljubicic isn't impressive. How about coming from 2 sets down to beat an in-form David Nalbandian. Sure, David choked. But Baghdatis showed the mettle of a champion by coming back from 2 sets down. He didn't let the rain 3 points from victory rattle him. That is impressive.

Yes, Federer, wasn't at his best in the 1st 2 sets. But Baghdatis stepped up to the occasion. We have seen plenty of guys in their first Slam finals freeze up (Verkerk, Schuettler, Clement, Coria, Nalbandian, etc.). Baghdatis was playing amazing tennis from the get-go. He eventually wilted, but so does everyone else. You cannot fault Marcos because Roger stepped his game up and Baghdatis cramped.

Marcos Baghdatis will be in teh Top 10 by the year's end. He has the desire, he has the talent, he has the shots. He has the ability. He is well on his way ranked 26th now. He is no flash in the pan. He was really coming into his own late last year, beating Haas and Nalbandian on his way to his first final at Basel. He beat Feliciano Lopez and gave Roger a tough match in Doha. And of course, he reached the finals in Melbourne. He has improved dramatically. Definitely Top 10 material.

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Has anyone realized that he is playing in his part of the world? He may not travel so well. Lipton will be a great test for him, if he can do what nadal did last year im going to change my opinion.

Warriorroger
01-29-2006, 12:30 PM
I hope he does well, he seems like a nice guy and plays good tennis.

Foo4Everlong
01-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Baghdatis was a winner after getting past the fourth round, and Roddick, no matter how he finished the tournament. Beating Ljubicic and Nalbandian in five was just an explaination point for the rest of the tournament. Plus, he absolutely a blast to watch. He's exciting, and has proved that he can hang with the big guns on any occasion. He unfortunately just ran out of gas. I love him, and I think he's great for tennis. Federer is so good that he is making everyone else that much better, and I think that's why you are seeing everyone else beating each other on any given day. The bar has been raised....And raised high! Later

edberg505
01-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Has anyone realized that he is playing in his part of the world? He may not travel so well. Lipton will be a great test for him, if he can do what nadal did last year im going to change my opinion.

That's not quite true. Cyprus is pretty damn far from Melbourne. In fact California is closer to Australia than Europe. But honestly, does Baghdatis have to walk on water to make a believer out of some people? He'll be 26 in the world on Monday. All it really takes is a good showing at a grand slam and some steady play through the rest of the year. I mean look at Nadal. The guy wasn't even seeded in the Aussie Open last year and by the US Open he's number 2 in the world. Granted he play a crap load of clay court tourneys to get his ranking up but still. It is very possible that he could conceivably reach the top 10 by the end of the year.

Shabazza
01-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Limassol(Cyprus)-Melbourne ca. 8700 miles or 14000 km
yep it's his part of the world :rolleyes:

BabolatFan
01-29-2006, 03:01 PM

Well I won't disagree with you on a couple of points. MB surely is a rising talent. He will need to do alot more than making his hair neat and pretty. He's gotta find his niche specialty on different surfaces. What do I mean by that? Have no idea. lol. j/k Well MB must start dominating and claiming more semi's or final spots on a certain surface. Maybe he might be quite explosive at Wimbledon. But like u said, i'll be surprised if he makes the top 10 this year.

Hops
01-29-2006, 03:50 PM

Flipper yes (ended 2003 at #9)
Verkerk no (peaked at #14 Sept 2003)

arosen
01-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Baghdatis has a game that;s way more solid than that of Philippousis or Verkerk. He has no weaknesses, really. He just needs to get fitter. So if Pousis got to top 10, Marcos can most certainly do it too. In contrast to V and P, Marcos has a lot of focus and desire not only to get to the top, but also to stay there. I totally think he will be top ten at the year's end.

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Limassol(Cyprus)-Melbourne ca. 8700 miles or 14000 km
yep it's his part of the world :rolleyes:

I was under the impression it was closer due to the commentary about all of his fans there and stuff, im still not sure where it is on the globe though.

We will see how he does at indian wells and miami.

Does anyone know if he can play on clay or what his supposed best surface is?

VolklVenom
01-29-2006, 04:07 PM
federerhoogenbandfan, you are a disgrace.
For starters, Kiefer played an ugly style of tennis that hardly resembles any degree of class. I for one have lost all respect for Kiefer, and was a fan before AO.
He's the sort of guy that would pull a JHH type stunt.

Secondly, Bags is top 10 material if he continues, no doubt.

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I dont know why people are getting on kiefer now, he has always been that way. I like him for his tennis, he was pounding the ball.

VolklVenom
01-29-2006, 04:25 PM
he didn't act like that at Wimbledon.

Shabazza
01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
I was under the impression it was closer due to the commentary about all of his fans there and stuff, im still not sure where it is on the globe though.

We will see how he does at indian wells and miami.

Does anyone know if he can play on clay or what his supposed best surface is?
It's an Island near Israel and Turkey (actually half turkey, half greek) south-east europe.
His best surface would be hard and rebound ace - good on carpet as well - clay doesn't favor his game much, but he's decent - don't know how he plays on grass, though.

Shabazza
01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
federerhoogenbandfan, you are a disgrace.
For starters, Kiefer played an ugly style of tennis that hardly resembles any degree of class. I for one have lost all respect for Kiefer, and was a fan before AO.
He's the sort of guy that would pull a JHH type stunt.

Secondly, Bags is top 10 material if he continues, no doubt.
If you were a fan, you would know that Kiefer, of all, wouldn't do something like JHH did. He might be crazy and sometimes nasty on court, but he is not and never was a quitter, period.
I agree with you on Baggy, though!

Chopin
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Kiefer would play until he physically collapsed--the guy is crazy!

uNIVERSE mAN
01-29-2006, 05:10 PM

points to defend?? that's got nothing to do with your YE ranking, it's a points race, the entry ranking is only for seeding purposes for tournaments during the year.

= marios =
01-29-2006, 08:51 PM
The thing is that Baghdatis' least favourite surface is clay. So i don't really expect him to gain many points in Roland Garros. Hopefully he can do better in other tournaments.

VAmazona
01-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Kiefer would play until he physically collapsed--the guy is crazy!

Crazy enough to throw a racquet to distract an opponent.

devila
01-29-2006, 09:25 PM
PMC declared Marcos a prodigy and seemed to ignore that Federer broke his serve in the 1st set. The 11 consecutive games he lost proved PMc right, eh? He was extremely lucky to reach the final. Marcos didn't play aggressively with a break point in the 2nd set. That's why he lost the 2nd set of the final.

Roddick didn't want to be there, the same indifference he had at Masters Cup and Grand Slams. He was busy planning for a vacation in Florida. Nalbandian was lethargic at big break point opportunities. He didn't feel physically good and that was fine with him.

Davydenko was mainly aggressive, except when he choked in the 3rd set and while leading the 4th set 4-1. 6 set points thrown away, when he realized he was at a slam.

Ljubicic, the sore loser, self-righteously said, "Roddick's loss wasn't surprising."
Marcos beat Ljubicic. Predictably, Ljubicic said, "I should've won."

= marios =
01-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Federer has won all his GS finals with ease (3-0 or 3-1). At least Baghdatis came really close to producing an upset, but unfortunately he blew it at 5-5 in the second set. If he broke that serve Federer would have to play the tennis of his life to come back and win 3 sets in a row (like Marcos played when he was losing 2-0 to Nalbandian).

= marios =
01-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Regarding Marcos' mandatory military service, it has been reported that he will get a permanent exhempt, but unless the political situation in Cyprus changes in the next years that won't happen. I've heard the president of Cyprus a while ago saying that we can't bypass legislation like that, but Marcos will get as many temporary leaves of absence as he needs.

So, Marcos will probably have to do some army service when he's 33-35, when his career is over.

ctbmar
01-31-2006, 06:34 AM
Bagdatis will be competing with Nadal in the future. Year 2005 was a year when 2 players dominated and shared the tournaments equally. Nadal and Federer were pretty much equal with Federer winning 1 more slam. But 2006, I foresee that Federer will still maintain his portion of tournament wins (maybe more), but
half of Nadal's share will be taken by Bagdatis. In other words, year 2006 will be dominated by Federer, followed by 2 smaller winners which are Nadal and Bagdatis and the rest will just eat the crumps...
Bagdatis plays a cross-game of Federer's and Agassi. He could match Federer from the baseline and had a good down-the-line backhand passing shot which he can change direction of the ball at will. His returns are just as good as Federer and Agassi because he had no problems returning all Lubicic's 1st serves. His movement is fast like Federer and Nadal. His 1st serve is faster than Federer's but with less spin and placement. His forehand can be devastating and even Federer could not withstand some of his forehand. When Bagdatis was rallying with Federer, he looked like a young Federer with a ponytail and a double-backhand. His transition game is not as good as Federer because he does not serve and volley but when approached the net after a good shot, he plays like an agassi with pretty good controlled volleys.
His only weakness is not able to slice a short ball and approach the net which I see many of such slices go into the net. Other than that, he has a bigger game than Roddick, Hewitt, Nalbandian, Lubicic, Davydenko, and all the rest of the field except for Federer or Nadal, but he is very close behind these 2 players in terms of speed, skills, tactics and mental. If Federer wants to win the Calender Grandslam, year 2006 is the best time because Nadal is still recovering from injury and Bagdatis is still developing into a great player and Federer is still young enough to match Nadal and Bagdatis, otherwise by the time Federer gets older and these 2 players achieve their peak, Federer will not have as good a chance as this year. Get one Calender GS in the bag first and then try again later to dispell all critics that an older Federer can beat Nadal and Bagdatis at their very best. Do a Laver.

ohplease
07-06-2006, 07:20 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread because regardless of what happens during the rest of Wimbledon - Baghdatis is now assured a place in the top 10 when the new rankings are released on Monday.

Are we surprised yet? Or do we have to wait until the season ends 5 months from now?

ACE of Hearts
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Sorry Hoogen but Bags is the real deal, hopefully he can show everybody that tomorrow by taking out Nadal.

Phantom543
07-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Baghdatis is already ranked 16th. So top 10 by years end is definatly possible unless he gets injured. After this tournament he will probably be very close to the top 10.

VamosRafa
07-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Baghdatis is already ranked 16th. So top 10 by years end is definatly possible unless he gets injured. After this tournament he will probably be very close to the top 10.

But will he be one of those players that does so without actually winning a tournament???

MasterTS
07-06-2006, 10:18 PM
But will he be one of those players that does so without actually winning a tournament???

He'll be one of those players that beats down nadal... like Blakey!

VolklVenom
07-06-2006, 10:20 PM

I was one of the guys that predicted this, on this very thread.
You can just see he has the goods.
Looking at Baghdatis now reminds me alot of how Federer looked around 2002, when he first played "Guga" at the Hamburg Open.

VamosRafa
07-06-2006, 10:20 PM
He'll be one of those players that beats down nadal... like Blakey!

Well, Nadal has already beaten Bags, so that's not an issue.

The question is how good is this guy really, when he hasn't won a single ATP tournament.

He goes on great runs, and he may beat Nadal tomorrow, but he'll still have to get by Fed (most likely) to get his first ATP title.

Rhino
07-07-2006, 02:01 AM
I will go on record now to say I will be very surprised if he does make the top 10 by years end.
typical inaccurate posting by federerhoogenbandfan, the guy who said Davydenko should do well at Wimbledon. This guys spends too much time posting and not enough time watching tennis.

unjugon
07-07-2006, 02:21 AM
typical inaccurate posting by federerhoogenbandfan, the guy who said Davydenko should do well at Wimbledon. This guys spends too much time posting and not enough time watching tennis.
Agreed! :mrgreen:

croatian sensation
07-07-2006, 02:32 AM

Only the difference is that he made his prediction on Jan 29 2006.

And it's easy to be guessing Baghdatis' possibilities at the end of grass season after he's made it to the SF of 's-Hertogenbosch and is now in the SF of Wimbledon.

vive le beau jeu !
07-07-2006, 02:51 AM

The question is how good is this guy really, when he hasn't won a single ATP tournament.

He goes on great runs, and he may beat Nadal tomorrow, but he'll still have to get by Fed (most likely) to get his first ATP title.

may i ask why you don't like him ?
it's not the first time i "feel" this by reading your posts about marcos... and as i never hid (!) my visceral hate towards nadal, i was wondering if you could tell me more. :)

arnz
07-07-2006, 02:59 AM

LMAO!!

These things come back to bite you in the *** don't they?

Rabbit
07-07-2006, 06:14 AM

LMAO.....can I be in the club? :)

Rabbit
07-07-2006, 06:17 AM

It's amazing that you take absolute positions when it's not Nad that we're talking about. The match that Baghdatis played against Nad was at Indian Wells. The score was 7-5, 6-0 in favor of Nad. Baghdatis was visibly not in shape and probably suffering from an Australian Open hangover in the physical sense.

Baghdatis played great tennis at the Australian and likewise great tennis at Wimbledon. Gilbert & PMac both noted that his game is more consistent. He doesn't have the bad match like he did a the Aussie. They both noted that he has the weapons needed to be a top 5 player. They both marvel at his forehand and his serve is as good as anyone's. He took it to Lleyton Hewitt who obviously is no pushover on grass. Hewitt has won 4 Queens club titles and 1 Wimbledon. I watched that match & IMO, the only reason it went 4 sets is that Baghdatis got nervous.

Funny, but when Roddick was in the same position you didn't ask the same question.

To quote Roddick, thanks Captain Obvious. Whatever happened to objectivity in journalism....oh but that's right, you're a litigator, not a journalist. :)

ATXtennisaddict
07-07-2006, 07:30 AM
2006, baghdatis had 2 good tournaments...both major slams. says something eh?

pound cat
07-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Baghdatis will be top ten next week.

KBalla08
07-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Baghdatis will be top ten next week.
ya i think i saw that on the atp site yesterday or the day before, saying that his semifinal performance will help him break into the top 10

pound cat
07-07-2006, 03:32 PM
John macEnroe: Baghdatis is one of the best players in the world..and he has joy in being on the court. (commentary, Baghdatis/Nadal match)

superman1
07-07-2006, 05:07 PM
He is top 10 quality. Makes the finals of the Australian Open and the semis of Wimbledon. Where are Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Roddick, Davydenko, Blake, all of those guys? They're all a bunch of chokers, except Ljubicic. Baghdatis has the talent to be top 10 but only his Grand Slam results are impressive. His other results are not that special, except I think a quarterfinal at Pacific Life that he lost to Nadal.

He's also maybe the best entertainer in tennis.

Marat Safinator
07-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Ive said it before and ill say it again. Potentially the best player of all time.

superman1
07-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Baghdatis? Ummm...what are you smoking (or sniffing or injecting)?

Marat Safinator
07-07-2006, 05:13 PM
I will be very surprised if he does make the top 10 by years end.

No you wont.

mcenroefan
07-07-2006, 05:16 PM
How can anyone not like this guy? He has the crowd eating out of his hand wherever he goes....incredible shotmaker.

jaykay
07-07-2006, 05:17 PM
How can anyone not like this guy? He has the crowd eating out of his hand wherever he goes....incredible shotmaker.

Damn right. Superb shotmaker, crowd entertainer extraordinaire... this guy is good. I like him.

knasty131
07-07-2006, 05:17 PM
regardless of the draw...he has made two semi-finals (including one final) in 2 of the 3 slams that have been played this year...he deserves it..