PDA

View Full Version : Chris Fowler article-if any stop Fed it will be younger guys-not Roddick or Hewitt.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 10:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/aus06/columns/story?id=2310564

Rabbit
01-29-2006, 10:42 AM
So this is a tennis chronicle?

pound cat
01-29-2006, 10:46 AM
That seems like an obvious comment, Chris. LOL Oh course not Rod and Hewitt. They haven't done it yet, they are (dare I say it) past their prime) Safin has, got another Slam out of it, but has always been self-declared not interested in setting records or mak9ing history ("I want a balanced life") It will have to be a very talented young guy who wants to devote his life to chasing records and makiing a name in sports history. This guy has to want it SO BAD. Name as yet unknown IMO Or maybe tennis will have to wait until Fed retires & just let him have his moments in history.

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 11:10 AM
The biggest question around Hewitt and Roddick might be if they can even hold their current places in the game. That should make an interesting subplot to the year.

alienhamster
01-29-2006, 01:00 PM
That seems like an obvious comment, Chris. LOL Oh course not Rod and Hewitt. They haven't done it yet, they are (dare I say it) past their prime) Safin has, got another Slam out of it, but has always been self-declared not interested in setting records or mak9ing history ("I want a balanced life") It will have to be a very talented young guy who wants to devote his life to chasing records and makiing a name in sports history. This guy has to want it SO BAD. Name as yet unknown IMO Or maybe tennis will have to wait until Fed retires & just let him have his moments in history. He's writing for a really general audience here; this isn't supposed to be an astute analysis for the TW boarders out there. I'm glad because Fowler is the kind of guy that will draw in non-tennis fan readers. I think he's trying to explain to people why Federer's achievements are so freaking amazing. People have heard of Roddick and Hewitt, so referencing them is just another way to put Roger's dominance in perspective.

So many sports fans don't even realize what's going on with Federer, and how important this championship was. It's a real shame because they're missing out on brilliance.

okdude1992
01-29-2006, 01:06 PM
HECK NO...don't even start...Hewitt and Roddick are great athletes...If Fed wasn't around bothe would have at leats 2 more slams....I think Roddick still has it in him - he just needs to make some serious adjustments...Hewitt will never beat Fed...just a bad matchup...But neither by any means are not talented

Californication
01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
He's writing for a really general audience here; this isn't supposed to be an astute analysis for the TW boarders out there. I'm glad because Fowler is the kind of guy that will draw in non-tennis fan readers. I think he's trying to explain to people why Federer's achievements are so freaking amazing. People have heard of Roddick and Hewitt, so referencing them is just another way to put Roger's dominance in perspective.

So many sports fans don't even realize what's going on with Federer, and how important this championship was. It's a real shame because they're missing out on brilliance.

Exactly.

Some people need to realize who these articles are directed at. Whether you like it or not, we are the minority. If you want tennis to get more exposure, you are going to have to live with more articles like this that can put things more simple so that casual fans can understand.

How many casual fans probably cringed when they say the name Gael Monfils in that article? They must think it is a disease or something. :mrgreen:

federerhoogenbandfan
01-29-2006, 01:18 PM
How many casual fans probably cringed when they say the name Gael Monfils in that article? They must think it is a disease or something. :mrgreen:

If I wasnt a tennis fan I would think it is a fancy desert.

Ronaldo
01-29-2006, 01:50 PM
It is a matter of size. Evolution. Isn't it, gentlemen? Gael is the most perfectly trained athlete ever. This other man has not the size, the strength, the *genetics* to win. It is physically impossible for this girlie man to win. Gael is a look at the future!

devila
01-29-2006, 06:31 PM
....and it's strange to read on this forum that Roddick has the athletic genes.
That's ridiculous.

StraightSets
01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
It is a matter of size. Evolution. Isn't it, gentlemen? Gael is the most perfectly trained athlete ever. This other man has not the size, the strength, the *genetics* to win. It is physically impossible for this girlie man to win. Gael is a look at the future!

LOL nice Rocky 4 quote :p

I think Roddick and Hewitt are as good a chance as anyone else at knocking off Fed.

West Coast Ace
01-29-2006, 08:03 PM
LOL nice Rocky 4 quote :p

I think Roddick and Hewitt are as good a chance as anyone else at knocking off Fed.Uh, yeah. If they hire Tonya Harding.

If we're going to quote movies then I'll have to go with "Yeah, when monkeys fly out of my butt!"

jhhachamp
01-29-2006, 08:21 PM
....and it's strange to read on this forum that Roddick has the athletic genes.
That's ridiculous.

It's quite ridiculous that you are disputing that Roddick has athletic genes...

rfprse
01-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Chris Fowler now has a spot for "analysis" articles?
Give me a break.:rolleyes:

And the intended reader is the general public? Considering his tone, he probably thinks he is expressing his 'deep expertise and insight on tennis'.

alienhamster
01-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Chris Fowler now has a spot for "analysis" articles?
Give me a break.:rolleyes:

And the intended reader is the general public? Considering his tone, he probably thinks he is expressing his 'deep expertise and insight on tennis'. It's feigned analysis. Think of it as Tennis Commentary for Dummies. It takes on some of the rhetoric of analysis but without any actual insight.

RiosTheGenius
01-29-2006, 10:35 PM
That seems like an obvious comment, Chris. LOL Oh course not Rod and Hewitt. They haven't done it yet, they are (dare I say it) past their prime) Safin has, got another Slam out of it, but has always been self-declared not interested in setting records or mak9ing history ("I want a balanced life") It will have to be a very talented young guy who wants to devote his life to chasing records and makiing a name in sports history. This guy has to want it SO BAD. Name as yet unknown IMO Or maybe tennis will have to wait until Fed retires & just let him have his moments in history.
that's what i like best about safin. the guy parties, has fun, doesn't take the whole thing very seriously, but once in awhile he decides to show up, kicks some serious butt and back to party...... idol