PDA

View Full Version : Racquet grip size

Progressive10s
06-09-2004, 09:56 AM
In my teenage years, I probably used too large of a grip 4 5/8. I measured my hand using the chart on the Wilson web site. It measures 4 1/2 as my optimum size. Oscar Wegner, noted teacher, suggests smaller grip sizes. According to a physical therapist I was seeing for tennis elbow, if we could use a dynamometer to measure grip strength at various sizes, this could tell us the best grip size. I am going to try a 4 3/8 grip with an overgrip. I would appreciate some feedback! Thanks.

a verrry large duck
06-09-2004, 10:05 AM
I got twinges in my wrist playing with too small a grip size (4-1/4) I've played all the grip sizes at one time or another, but I've settled on 4 3/8 with overgrip like yourself. For me, smaller grip sizes means troubles and I stay away from them. That and those rectangular Head racquet grips, absolutely hate them.

Duckman
06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
I measured my hand using the chart on the Wilson web site.

Hi,
could somebody post the link of that chart of the Wilson web site, because I didn't find it.

GuyPerez
06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
www.wilsontennis.com
look in the left hand side for the "grip sizer"
GUy

Ruuzo
06-09-2004, 12:47 PM
My advice is don't be too quick to accept what the wilson sizing chart tells you is your grip size - it tells me I am a 4 1/2 (and I played at 4 1/2 + overgrip for many years) but after experimentation I am certain a 4 5/8 + overgrip is a better size for me (I play better, takes less strength, more comfortable, less twisting, etc.)

Also, according to the learning center on TW's site my grip should be a 4 5/8.

ragnaROK
06-09-2004, 01:57 PM
I used to love playing with small grip sizes because of the immense spin I could put on my groundies. After awhile it took a toll on my wrist and I believe I have developed some sort of tendonitis in it. Personally I don't like those hand sizers, because I've never liked the grip size they've given me. I would just recommend trying them out yourself and then adding an overgrip to compensate if you use them (if your grip is 4 5/8 get a racket with 4 3/8 and add overgrip). Right now I just play with a 4 3/8 with a Wilson Pro Overgrip and that works wonders.

AAAA
06-09-2004, 02:42 PM
I no longer use the 'index finger rule' for determining my grip size because I couldn't hold the racquet tight enough when hitting hard or against advanced pace. The racquet twisted loose.

According to a physical therapist I was seeing for tennis elbow, if we could use a dynamometer to measure grip strength at various sizes, this could tell us the best grip size.

I don't have a dynamometer but I do custom build up my grip size until I can grip the racquet most tightly and the racquet doesn't twist when I practice my power shots. I continue adjusting the grip size until it 'feels right'.

From admittedly inaccurate TV observation, it looks like alot of male pros use 'smaller' grips whereas the women appear to mostly follow the 'index finger rule'.

Dennis Anyone?
06-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Had been using 4 5/8 for years. Just purchased a 4 1/2 as I felt I'd have an easier time with the grip for kick serves. Improved the serve, everything else went to heck, including my elbow. Serious tennis elbow pains within 8-10 hours of play. Gripping too tightly? Built it back up to 4 5/8 with overgrips and am pain-free . . . .

TwistServe
06-09-2004, 08:20 PM
I've been using a 4 3/8 for the past 3 months.. During that time period I've had major wrist and finger problems. I switched to 4 1/2 which is what the Wilson Chart suggests, and my fingers have healed dramatically. Really happy I made that change though I had to take a cut selling my old LM Radicals (only 3 months used hehe)

AAAA
06-10-2004, 02:07 AM
I suspect more people than not will suffer arm damage from using 'smaller' grips. I usually know after a few hits if the grip is too small. If so I switch back to my 'reference' racquet.