PDA

View Full Version : Roddick getting cranky over Delray controversy

Californication
01-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Andy Roddick apparently thinks he's above the rules. He's getting a little cranky over Delray's refusal to grant him a last second wild card. Good on them though, not letting the cranky Roddick get his way.

From the Sun Sentinel:

Despite a disappointing withdrawal by the charismatic James Blake, who cited schedule overload as he too gets ready for Davis Cup, Paul Goldstein and Jiri Novak, Roddick wasn't permitted direct entry into the draw because those who committed to the tournament six weeks ago were given priority.

That meant instead of Roddick, the third-ranked player in the world, the fans will get to see unknowns such as Michael Berrer, Oliver Marach and Igor Kunitsyn.

In order to get into the tournament you have to enter 42 days in advance and Andy didn't do that," ATP supervisor Tom Barnes said. "The only other way to get in is to get a wild card or to play qualifiers and win, or be a lucky loser if there's a spot. Or if one of the wild cards withdrew before we made the draw."

Roddick wasn't interested in hearing about rules.

"Maybe, I should play more Davis Cup, that's the story. Oh, wait, I do," Roddick cracked.

Or maybe you should stop acting as if you own the world. You didn't follow the rules, so you don't get a wild card. No need to whine about it.

Even funnier to me was Dean Goldfine's quote:

"If he went out there and lost in the qualifying, obviously that wouldn't be too good for his confidence," Roddick's coach Dean Goldfine said before Roddick changed his mind. "But you can't worry about the losing. You have to look at the upside of preparing for Davis Cup

That is hilarious. The Roddick camp are actually worried about Roddick losing in qualifying.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-roddickspec280jan28,0,6234297.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I dont think he should be playing the qualies, he is taking a spot from a young up and comer. One of the reasons i disliked conners so much. He is #3 in the world, let the little guys have a chance at these smaller events.

alienhamster
01-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Even though it's a dumb financial move, I'm glad they're sticking to the rules here.

And I wouldn't take Goldfine so seriously on that. I doubt that their main concern was Roddick losing in the qualies.

Roddick's game isn't *that* bad. Geez.

goober
01-29-2006, 12:30 PM
The tournament director may be playing by the rules, but he making a dumb move financially. Ultimately that may end up reflecting negatively on him when his bosses decide weather or not they want to keep in that position. Michael Berrer, Oliver Marach and Igor Kunitsyn are not going to fill the stands. With Blake dropping out small tournaments need all the help they can. The tournament needs Roddick more than Roddick needs them.

skip1969
01-29-2006, 12:30 PM
another article from the sun sentinel

Coach: Roddick felt deceived by tourney director

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff Writer
Posted January 29 2006

DELRAY BEACH · Andy Roddick's coach said that his player's change of heart regarding his last-minute request to play in the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships on Friday had little to do with him having to play in this weekend's qualifying rounds.

Because the three allotted wild cards had already been given to Mardy Fish, Andre Agassi and Sargis Sargsian -- Agassi's close friend and hitting partner -- Roddick, who decided Thursday night to enter the $380,000 event to help prepare for the upcoming Davis Cup tie against Romania, was prepared to earn his way into the 32-player draw, a rare route for top-ranked players.

"Why would Andy fly in from Texas at his own expense to play?'' asked Roddick's coach, Dean Goldfine. ``Sure, it would've been easier to get a wild card, but it didn't have anything to do about playing qualifiers. Andy couldn't justify being out there playing their tournament when he felt deceived by [tournament director] Mark Baron.''

The only issue of contention that Goldfine would specifically address had to do with Roddick's agreement with the tournament not to publicize his participation in qualifying until he actually was playing.

Baron called this a "misunderstanding.''

Baron said earlier in the week when he was aware of Roddick's intentions to play his tournament that he asked the ATP to expand the draw to 48, which would net a fourth wild card. He knew that wasn't a realistic request on such short notice.

"I called Fish's people to see if he was healthy. They said he was ready to play,'' Baron said of Fish, who has undergone two wrist surgeries and has been off the tour for the past five months. "There was nothing else I could do. Andy wanted a wild card, and I had none to offer.''

Fish, who like Roddick is represented by SFX, said he never felt pressure to give up his wild card to his friend, but he suggested that the 300th-ranked Sargsian, 32, who retired after the U.S. Open, should have.

"I think everybody knows the one who should get pressure a lot,'' Fish said. "I didn't get [a wild card] in San Jose, and Sargis got one there as well. It's kind of a bummer for both of us.''

Baron said he would never ask a healthy player to give back a wild card and didn't ask Sargsian.

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Fish is an idiot, he cant even hit a two handed backhand yet (at least in an exibition i saw him playing with dent) and he thinks sarge should drop instead of him. My one handed back was better than fish's in that match.

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 12:39 PM
The tournament needs Roddick more than Roddick needs them.

I think they gave agassi like 500k to show up and play, thats all the star power a tournament needs. Plus if roddick were playing agassi would develop another phantom injury and withdraw.

Grimjack
01-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I still remember when Roddick was relevant, and a contender. Now he's Greg Rusedski except ten feet behind the baseline.

skip1969
01-29-2006, 12:42 PM
ok, so roddick's a little whiner, no big surprise. and he got all ****y cos the tournament director didn't move heaven and earth to get him a spot (cos he needs it so desperately to prepare for davis cup . . . against romania).

but the most precious bit is friggin' mardy FISH! the dude hasn't played in forever. he went 6-11 in 2005. hes' ranked 247 as of last week. and he has the friggin' NERVE to dis sargisian for not giving up HIS spot to roddick!! now THAT'S some classic s**t!

fish and roddick should've forked over the prize money (for losing in the first round) to sarge, and made it worth his while. after all, the man's gotta make a living too!

Californication
01-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Mardy Fish is the biggest joke in men's tennis

idj49
01-29-2006, 12:53 PM
From what that article said it seems that Roddick is more upset about the tournament announcing he was playing in qualifiers rather than actually being upset that he had to play qualies? I guess if he lost in qualifiers he didn't want the whole world knowing because that would be completely embarassing. As for Fish if he wasn't willing to give up his own wild card than he has no business asking anyone else to give up theirs.

alienhamster
01-29-2006, 01:58 PM
I still remember when Roddick was relevant, and a contender. Now he's Greg Rusedski except ten feet behind the baseline. WHA???

Qualies Hitchhiker
01-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Roddick has no backbone. It all started Friday night when him and Goldfine were watching "Cinderella Man." He saw the ending and realized he was Roddick, not Braddock, and realized an ironic ending was too great for him. Additionally, seeing Bogomolov, Morrison, Delic, Wurtzman, Widom and Salzenstein in the field was enough to seal the deal. The chances of a beatdown in the 2nd round of qualifying were to great to risk.

Also, Fish is hitting with a two-hander, now. The one to worry about is Agassi. He doesn't seem to be moving well and exclamated it with an F-bomb. As for good form, Malisse and Ginepri should be tough.

vllockhart
01-29-2006, 04:13 PM
ok, so roddick's a little whiner, no big surprise. and he got all ****y cos the tournament director didn't move heaven and earth to get him a spot (cos he needs it so desperately to prepare for davis cup . . . against romania).

but the most precious bit is friggin' mardy FISH! the dude hasn't played in forever. he went 6-11 in 2005. hes' ranked 247 as of last week. and he has the friggin' NERVE to dis sargisian for not giving up HIS spot to roddick!! now THAT'S some classic s**t!

fish and roddick should've forked over the prize money (for losing in the first round) to sarge, and made it worth his while. after all, the man's gotta make a living too!

Yeah, what's the difference between a 300th ranked person and a 247th ranked person? Not a hell of a lot. Sargis has paid his dues way longer than Fish has. I see absolutely nothing wrong with giving the guy a wild card. Fish has big round hairy ones to suggest that Sargis, who is on borrowed time, give up a wild card to #3 Roddick who has all the time in the world to play tennis. I guess if I'd had any respect for Fish I would have lost it.

Phil
01-29-2006, 04:15 PM
I still remember when Roddick was relevant, and a contender. Now he's Greg Rusedski except ten feet behind the baseline.

I don't recall Rusedsky being ranked #3...ever. Or winning many tournaments. Until he's out of the top 10, he's "relevant".

Chadwixx
01-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Isnt sargisian the only college grand slam winner? (As in winning all the nationals in the same year)

Qualies, have u seen him hit it or read about the fish backhand? He was looking pretty rough out there vs dent (not sure when match actually took place though). Hard to think he could return with it against some of the bigger servers.

West Coast Ace
01-29-2006, 04:29 PM
So Roddick didn't want anyone knowing he was going to play qualies? Was he going to demand that the stands were empty and that no cameras be allowed within 1000 ft?

The phrase 'delusions of grandeur' comes to mind.

I don't think anyone has to be a rocket scientist to figure Sarge's wild card was part of the total deal for Andre - no way that's being retracted.

I just got a very bad visual image - there is a Hell and we all get shipped there. And we have to watch Fish and Roddick hit backhands into the net all day with those four losers Fish's dad paid to write F-I-S-H on their chests jumping up and down on the sideline.

oscar_2424
01-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Andy Roddick apparently thinks he's above the rules. He's getting a little cranky over Delray's refusal to grant him a last second wild card. Good on them though, not letting the cranky Roddick get his way.

From the Sun Sentinel:

Despite a disappointing withdrawal by the charismatic James Blake, who cited schedule overload as he too gets ready for Davis Cup, Paul Goldstein and Jiri Novak, Roddick wasn't permitted direct entry into the draw because those who committed to the tournament six weeks ago were given priority.

That meant instead of Roddick, the third-ranked player in the world, the fans will get to see unknowns such as Michael Berrer, Oliver Marach and Igor Kunitsyn.

In order to get into the tournament you have to enter 42 days in advance and Andy didn't do that," ATP supervisor Tom Barnes said. "The only other way to get in is to get a wild card or to play qualifiers and win, or be a lucky loser if there's a spot. Or if one of the wild cards withdrew before we made the draw."

Roddick wasn't interested in hearing about rules.

"Maybe, I should play more Davis Cup, that's the story. Oh, wait, I do," Roddick cracked.

Or maybe you should stop acting as if you own the world. You didn't follow the rules, so you don't get a wild card. No need to whine about it.

Even funnier to me was Dean Goldfine's quote:

"If he went out there and lost in the qualifying, obviously that wouldn't be too good for his confidence," Roddick's coach Dean Goldfine said before Roddick changed his mind. "But you can't worry about the losing. You have to look at the upside of preparing for Davis Cup

That is hilarious. The Roddick camp are actually worried about Roddick losing in qualifying.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/tennis/sfl-roddickspec280jan28,0,6234297.story?coll=sfla-sports-tennis
WHo cares about roddick, am going to see MR Agassi

Rusedski Fan
01-29-2006, 04:38 PM
You might want to do some research on Rusedski before you start spouting off. Check atptennis.com for some knowledge on tournaments won. You don't have to win majors to be considered a good player. Rusedski has played well and was one of the comeback players of the year last year. He worked hard to get his ranking back.

Sargisian retired now he is back. I would have liked to see Roddick play through the qualies. Work on his poor return game.

tangerine
01-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for your usual airtight opinions, barry.

DashaandSafin
01-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Wow are you serious Cali? Would you have complained and said that Federer got cranky becuase he was not given a wild card? Give me a break, you are clearly against this player. Like Chadwixx said, whats the point of him playing qualies? So he can win 6-0 6-0? He is just taking away ATP points from qualy players if he plays qualifiers. Furthermore its a dumbass financial move by the seemingly dull tourtament director. All tourtaments need star power. **** off the star player, and well, you dont make money.

As for his statment on the Davis Cup, be glad he is playing you dolt. He by no means has to play at all. He can choose to sit at home raking in the money from advertisements than playing on Spanish clay with no winners purse.

Max G.
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
So Roddick didn't want anyone knowing he was going to play qualies? Was he going to demand that the stands were empty and that no cameras be allowed within 1000 ft?

Roddick didn't want rumors being spread until he had actually decided to participate, from what I gather...

Noelle
01-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Much Ado About Nothing.

Qualies Hitchhiker
01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Qualies, have u seen him hit it or read about the fish backhand? He was looking pretty rough out there vs dent (not sure when match actually took place though). Hard to think he could return with it against some of the bigger servers. I saw him hit in person Saturday. He hit pretty good, but his practice partner wasn't throwing anything too scary at him. We'll see Monday night.

RiosTheGenius
01-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Even though it's a dumb financial move, I'm glad they're sticking to the rules here.

And I wouldn't take Goldfine so seriously on that. I doubt that their main concern was Roddick losing in the qualies.

Roddick's game isn't *that* bad. Geez.
it's not that roddick's game is that bad, but if for some reason he should lose a match in the qualies ... oh boy,that would look aweful. and being that Roddick isn't doing very good with the big guys, I don't think they're all about taking such risk. that'd be a real tragedy.........while Fed celebrates his new slam???, no way jose.

156MPHserve
01-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't know... its hard for me to take one side over another.

I see how Roddick is frustrated because the tournament director should be thanking the man upstairs that Mr. #3 wants to play his tournament, which will DEFINITELY fill the stands (common, we all know Roddick is popular, especially with the girls). Roddick understood that there was no wildcard to give since he signed up so late but still wanted to play even if it meant going through the hideous qualies. Now that his good friend James is out, the tournament director DOES have a wildcard to give but isn't giving it to him. He must feel like his participation is being taken advantage of and not as appreciated as a #3-very-popular-with-the-girls-player should be.

On the other hand... rules are rules... everybody should just suck it up.

Noelle
01-29-2006, 11:16 PM
Actually even though James is out of the tourney, the wildcards had already been given out James's withdrawal only meant that someone on the tournament's alternate list would be given direct entry into the tournament.

Apparently, Roddick's comments about the tournament director were spoken during practice with Vince Spadea and not at an actual interview, so we can't be sure what context they can be taken in.

arosen
01-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Rules are in place to ensure the fair procedure. FAIR. The tourney director should be louded for upholding the rules. Yet everyone is hellbent on dissing him, and stupid arseholes like Mardy, who has been sleeping with the fishes as of recent, have the gull to judge who should get WCs. Disgusting.

devila
01-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Blake and Roddick are desperate to look good for Pat McEnroe? Fish was a top 10 talent, then Blake became his next top 10 talent.
Blake can't get his game together on all 4 surfaces. Roddick is dumbed down by his environment. His fat body's hanging onto the edge of a cliff. Pitiful.