PDA

View Full Version : HPS 7.1 beats them all - Volkl and Yonex

Zverev
01-29-2006, 02:43 PM
The other day I have pulled out my HPS 7.1 Zone which has been on the shelf for more than a year, and have strung it with E-matrix at 58, took it for a hit. Geees..why am I using anything else?
Absolutely amazing feel, great control, great power, "buttery", no, the "butterriest" feel of them all, absolute disregard for the opponent power - it's stable like a rock.
Then I took it for a game - utter success, more than 60% of first serves, drop volleys, angles, slices - demolished the guy.

I am spending so much time trying to fix these Catapult 10 and MP Tour 5, with all their gimmicks, to get rid of that flimsy feel in the head they got.

When, really what you need for succes, is just a simple piece of graphite with flex of 58 and correct distribution of weight. And no gimmicks, no "muscle powers" or "catapults".
That's ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Info:

HPS 7.1 Zone
weighted to 12.7 oz at 3-9
E-matrix 17 M59/C58
Yonex overgrip - at least they made this one well

louis netman
01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
The other day I have pulled out my HPS 7.1 Zone which has been on the shelf for more than a year, and have strung it with E-matrix at 58, took it for a hit. Geees..why am I using anything else?
Absolutely amazing feel, great control, great power, "buttery", no, the "butterriest" feel of them all, absolute disregard for the opponent power - it's stable like a rock.
Then I took it for a game - utter success, more than 60% of first serves, drop volleys, angles, slices - demolished the guy.

I am spending so much time trying to fix these Catapult 10 and MP Tour 5, with all their gimmicks, to get rid of that flimsy feel in the head they got.

When, really what you need for succes, is just a simple piece of graphite with flex of 58 and correct distribution of weight. And no gimmicks, no "muscle powers" or "catapults".
That's ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Info:

HPS 7.1 Zone
E-matrix 17 M59/C58

That is a pretty sweet feeling stick, however it can get knocked around by pace. Play a hard hitter and you'll be reachin for the lead tape...

Masamusou
01-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Info:

HPS 7.1 Zone
E-matrix 17 M59/C58

I think really that part about sums it up. Anytime you add nearly an ounce at 3 and 9, stability is going to be there. The 7.1 stock, however, is a slightly different story when it comes to stability.

SteveI
01-29-2006, 03:06 PM
I think really that part about sums it up. Anytime you add nearly an ounce at 3 and 9, stability is going to be there. The 7.1 stock, however, is a slightly different story when it comes to stability.

I could make every shot in the book with the 7.1 stock.. but got pushed all over the court with that frame. It would take like 5 shots to work your way into a winner... but it is very sweet frame indeed.

Regards,
Steve

Zverev
01-29-2006, 03:13 PM
That is a pretty sweet feeling stick, however it can get knocked around by pace. Play a hard hitter and you'll be reachin for the lead tape...
That's why it (lead tape) is there.
But not much of it, it's less than half of an ounce (around 12 gramms).

Zverev
01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Another day of sweet hitting.
I've started calling it WMD of tennis. Everything works for me now.
Even shots that used to be a bit dodgy for me, say, down the line forehand after crosscourt rally, is now reliable as Soyuz spacecraft.
Stop volley used to pop up too much - no problems now,
short ball put-aways - used to overhit often - no more, spin is great - nicely wrapping around the net into the court.
Serve has improved - around 60% of first serves, my partner said.

I got almost content with the MP Tour 5 stability in the upper hoop having had added some lead. But 7.1 stability is so much superiour!
I don't know how much lead MP 5 should take to get the same stable feel,
I suspect it will be totally unwieldy by then.

I have retired 7.1 a year ago, basically saying that it was too low powered for my skills level and my physical conditioning. But as my skills have considerably grown up for the last year as well as my phisical conditioning, I am back to 7.1 with a vengence!

louis netman
01-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Congratulations Zverev...Now you'll be contemplating if there is still a better stick out there to compliment your new found level of tennis...

Zverev
01-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Congratulations Zverev...Now you'll be contemplating if there is still a better stick out there to compliment your new found level of tennis...
Yeah, but that's the fun of it all.
Something to pull you away from the box and...
with some benefits to your health. Great! I love this obsession.

BTW, E-matrix is about to pop. It's been just 3-4 hours.
Ah, no problem. Cheap.
It looks like it pops before losing tension.
Which is good. I hate to cut out good string because of tension loss.
Just inherent intolerance to anything that remotely resembles of being wasteful. :-)

nkbond
01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
I had the same experience with the Tour-5, it doesn't feel just flexible, but like a wet noodle. I never could find any crisp response at all. I tried all the lead suggestions, stringing tension properly for Yonex, etc. I wanted to like this racquet, and for certain shots, for me backhand slice and serve, I felt like there was a lot of potential. But I ended up with some TE I think because the power level is low and I lost a lot on my forehand, which I tried to make up with my swing. Back to my PK 7g and realizing it plays to my strength, which is forehand, but I cannot afford to lose that one weapon...I'm not sure anyone I've read on this board has stuck with the Tour-5...many have tried, but I've noticed a lot have given up on it.

Zverev
01-30-2006, 07:41 PM
I had the same experience with the Tour-5, it doesn't feel just flexible, but like a wet noodle. I never could find any crisp response at all. I tried all the lead suggestions, stringing tension properly for Yonex, etc. I wanted to like this racquet, and for certain shots, for me backhand slice and serve, I felt like there was a lot of potential. But I ended up with some TE I think because the power level is low and I lost a lot on my forehand, which I tried to make up with my swing. Back to my PK 7g and realizing it plays to my strength, which is forehand, but I cannot afford to lose that one weapon...I'm not sure anyone I've read on this board has stuck with the Tour-5...many have tried, but I've noticed a lot have given up on it.
I think you are quite right here. Tour-5 got lots of raving feedback on this board, including one from me BTW. It's interesting racquet, it gives a very good impression on the first hit. You feel like it just needs a little tweak with lead and will be perfect. But it never does!
I have tried multi, nylon, kevlar, and poly in it, still cannot find good control.
It seems like it is low powered, but the ball suddenly flies, ot unexpectedly pops up, same time it might be difficult to excecute powerful drive down the line - the ball just slowly loops.
Same time flat shots can be devastatingly powerfull, sometimes it feels like the hoop is connected to the frame with powerfull spring. Which makes the stick soft feeling, powerful and spinny, but same time low powered and unpredictable.
In this way it is very similar to Volkl catapult system.

7.1 won't give any surprises at all, it gives you back exactly as much as you put in, which is really what you want.