PDA

View Full Version : Can bad tennis balls damage strings?

Mr.Federer
01-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Not sure if this is the right section...but anyways, can bad tennis balls damage your strings?

Kevo
01-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Bad how? If they have tacks stuck in them, maybe. Otherwise, I don't think a "bad" tennis ball can damage strings any more than a "good" one does., which can be significant since those tennis balls are always making my strings break. :-)

Stan
01-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Not likely.

devilish_duke
01-29-2006, 11:27 PM
If anything, the strings will rip the felt off the balls

mctennis
01-30-2006, 06:05 AM
Hurt your arm for sure and I believe , depending on the type of string, loosen them up faster.

yourserve
01-30-2006, 06:32 AM
i had new gamma pressureless balls that broke two sets of strings in about
twenty minutes. this is what prompted me to buy a stringer and throw away
the pressureless balls.

Nuke
01-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Some of the pressureless balls play like rocks, and could probably pop a string on a mishit easier than regular balls.

darkblue
01-30-2006, 06:49 AM
wet balls -> damage

legolas
01-30-2006, 10:45 AM
i dont think so, the balls doesnt really matter

Mr.Federer
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Ok so the other day I was playing with some bad (used) balls. Everytime I hit the ball it didn't feel good on my strings so I was just wondering if bad balls can damage your strings.

Pomeranian
01-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Ok so the other day I was playing with some bad (used) balls. Everytime I hit the ball it didn't feel good on my strings so I was just wondering if bad balls can damage your strings.

Older/dead balls don't feel as good when you hit with them. Either that or your string lost some tension after hitting for a while thus why it doesn't feel as good. Older balls don't damage the string any more than newer balls do. Well, since newer balls have more pressure in it, its possible that newer balls actually cause more wear on the strings than older balls but don't look into that too much! However, wet balls can cause some string tension loss and a dead feeling.

arnz
01-30-2006, 05:51 PM
i had new gamma pressureless balls that broke two sets of strings in about
twenty minutes. this is what prompted me to buy a stringer and throw away
the pressureless balls.

Weird. I play with gamma pressureless balls for 2 hours at a time against a wall, and I managed to break one of the balls and take off the felt off another and my strings havent broken.

Well, I'm a 3.5 so maybe you hit a little harder than me :)

yourserve
01-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, I'm a 3.5 so maybe you hit a little harder than me :)[/QUOTE]

i hit with decent pace, but hitting hard is not all that there is to tennis.
you keep practicing and you will be a 4.0 player in no time.
hitting against a wall when i was a kid was the only practice that i got.
i remember it to have been alot of fun, but the wall always won!:)

houstonace
01-31-2006, 05:59 AM
It depends on what you mean by bad tennis balls. From my experiance if the balls still have good felt on them but lost pressure, then no not really. But if the balls have little to no felt left and a lot of pressure then yes, the strings will get damaged. Especially multis and gut. Those rock hard feltless balls will nick the strings everywhere and soon will start fraying in all those nicked areas.

Mr.Federer
02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys for the responses...