PDA

View Full Version : O3 Tour users

POGforEver
01-29-2006, 04:41 PM
I may be switching to an O3 Tour from my POGs. I've been playing with it for a few days and love how its more comfortable on off center shots and my backhand is much better. It is kind of too light though. What racquets did you guys come from when you went to the O3 and did you do any modifications? No doubt that I will deffinetly be keeping the POGs though!

fishuuuuu
01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
I came from a LM Instinct Tour XL ... and I added lead at the 3 and 9.

KOtennis
01-29-2006, 08:28 PM
hey guys,
i also bought a Tour 3. tried it a couple of times....
seems too comfortable and too powerful.
i strung it at 63 already.

i now play with the ti-80. but i was hitting with the POG and then Diablo for a couple of months.

POGforever, just curious. HOW are u able to switch from POG to Tour 3??
to me, POG is even lower power than my ti-80. if I think its too powerful. how are u able to adapt to it? lead tape?

KOtennis
01-29-2006, 08:29 PM
hey guys,

i now play with the ti-80. but i was hitting with the POG and then Diablo for a couple of months.

to me, POG is even lower power than my ti-80. if I think its too powerful. how are u able to adapt to it? lead tape?

fishuuuuu
01-29-2006, 08:37 PM
hey guys,

To me the O3 Tour is nowhere near the word powerful.

thejuice
01-29-2006, 08:51 PM
To me the O3 Tour is nowhere near the word powerful.

That goes to show that the old adage, "Different strokes for different folks" holds true in tennis as well as anything else. I owned a couple of O3 Tours at one point and also thought that they were too powerful (and I actually tried a few different setups).

Belafonte
01-29-2006, 10:42 PM
i have an o3 tour strung with signum and gosen in the crosses at 57 and it is quite powerful, i'll probably sting higher next time.

andyroddick's mojo
01-29-2006, 11:06 PM
don't they have like a midsize and oversize o3 tour coming out? maybe you should consider those.

Fantoro
01-29-2006, 11:50 PM
I have been playing with 03 the tour for 6 months...at first great spin/touch/ forgiveness/aesthetics etc...but now...well...too powerful, lack of feel, balls sailing long, all that with set up at 62 with BB original and lead at 3 and 9 - Going back to prestiges '93 or ' 98 in a hurry.

rob61
01-30-2006, 04:40 AM
I came from the Babolat PD. I went to the O3 Tour, added some weight at 3 and 9 oclock plus a little more under the grip to balance the racket and now really like it. It has the lowest power rating of the O3 series, 800, and if you string at the midpoint or higher (I think mid is 56 or so) it still plenty of power especially with the extra weight. I will string higher next time.

rob61
01-30-2006, 04:42 AM
I came from the Babolat PD. I went to the O3 Tour, added some weight at 3 and 9 oclock plus a little more under the grip to balance the racket and now really like it. It has the lowest power rating of the O3 series, 800, and if you string at the midpoint or higher (I think mid is 56 or so) it still plenty of power especially with the extra weight. I will string higher next time.

basil J
01-30-2006, 06:32 AM
I have been using the 03 tours for 5 months. I came from being a longtime user of the 200G MW series and a short stint with the Wilson HPS 6.1and slaz x-1. I have replaced the grips with leather babolat grips, & added 3" strips of lead tape at 3:00 & 9:00 and have gone through numreous string set ups and tensions. Love it off of the ground, still struggle at times on serve. My current set up is the 18'crossfire at 60# and it plays very nicely.

Micky
01-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Hola Basil,

I have been going crazy with my O3 as well. I added 10grs of lead total at the 3 and 9 o´clock and now have elbow pain. Serves improved a bit but had to take the lead out and now back to square one.

It is nice to know I´m not the only one struggling with serves. I am about to order a Wilson 6.1 95 with the 18X20 recommended in another thread.

I wonder if there is a Babolat racquet...(I can get those here in Bolivia) that is as good for serving as the Wilson one. I guess that is a question for another thread...take care,

Micky

Jonnyf
01-30-2006, 10:18 AM
i have grams at 3 and 8 grams at 9. Ive got my serve back up and had my fastest rec orded on thursday using it ( 91mph before itwas 89mph using PD+ and APD) and now can hit my olecord constantly with it

Micky
01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Hola JonnyF,

There is a problem with your post...how much lead did you put? 8 and 8? also...Besides giving you the speed did it give the accuracy as well?

I just ordered a Wilson ncode 6.1 95 18X20 from TW and it is currently in back order...now I am looking at a Babolat Pure Drive Plus...or some more lead to the O3 ...

Take care,

Micky

Jonnyf
01-30-2006, 11:46 AM
yeah its 8 and 8 tried 10 n 10 but it didnt feel as good as 8 and 8. The accuracy is much better than with the Babolats. Oh and the ncode 95 18*20 is an immense stick aswell

THE ANIMAL
01-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Played with a Wilson PS85 for 8 years and a Bab Pure Control for 8 months have had my O3 Tours for 8 months now and mine are leaded up to 346g 3 points head light most of the lead around the whole top area of the hoop to just below 3 and 9 the rest 7g in the handle area. Strung at 52lb Big Banger Original. Awesome stick in the right hands.

monty2589
01-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I've been using the O3 Tour since July, but where I live gets so cold that I can't play all the time until recently I've started to play a lot to get ready for my high school season. Anyways I love my O3 Tour. I use it stock right now and have been thinking of adding lead tape, but I don't know. My coach strings it at 60 and it has plenty of control at that tension.

Micky
01-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Hola The Animal,

After adding 10gr to mine my elbow could not take it anymore...will my elbow take it with 17gr? Take care,

Micky

basil J
01-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Mickey, if you are looking for more pace, keep in mind that the 03 tour is a very flexible frame and just adding lead may not satisfy what you are looking for. Try some different string set ups. I have had good success with the following( and I am still experimenting): Klip adrenalin 16' at 60#, Klip Kboom at 62#, 17', PSGD at 64# 16', ashaway crossfire 18' 60# mains, 62# crosses, Klip natural gut at 64# 16'. Every set up played differently, with the firmer strings giving me more control off of the ground, the softer strings giving me more pop on serves, with the exception of the crossfire 18', which has been surprisingly good with serves. Ncode 6.1 18 x 20 is a much different stick than the tour. Tight string bed and much stiffer frame. Nice frame, yes, but not the spin master the tour is.

Micky
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Hola Basil,

I am following all your threads regarding the 03 Tour :p . Thanks for your input.

I have a friend in Miami right now that was willing to bring me anything from TW...but overnight shipping and all the drama with their back orders...I will cancell my order.

I have the chance (here in Bolivia) to get the Babolat Pure Drive Plus..another stick with great reviews for serving...and serving drove me crazy with my 03. Brand new strings good service...four hours later...bad service. End of story.:mad: I hope the Babolat is not as unforgiving as the 03 Tour. Or you will see me crying here again.:rolleyes:

Take care, keep posting,

Micky

POGforEver
01-30-2006, 05:57 PM
wow didnt think i would get so many people to post on this one. well the answer to the question how i can come from playing with a POG, I've been playing a long time and can adapt pretty easily to a new racquet. But for me the O3 tour i used hard tape around the hoop to cover up the hold (added a littl ebit of weight too) and added about 8gr of lead, 4 at 3 and 9 and 4 under the handle with two overgrips, thanks everyone!

THE ANIMAL
01-31-2006, 01:37 AM
I tried the pog before trying out the O3 tour and found the tour to be better in every department

dltorre
01-31-2006, 02:40 AM
I found the O3 much more flexible than the POG OS, I have a hard time to adapt at the bigining 1 weak ago, but now it is compleately tweak.
10 gr at 2 10 gr at 10
5 gr at 3 5 gr at 9
20 gr in the handle
Luxilon Big Bange original 50

Killere serves
deep groundies w or wo spin
slice / drops are sweep
firm volleys

Note that I was using lead tape already on the POG
The POG helped me a lot with my tennis elbow (completely gone)
I am really happy with the POG too but with the O# got more pop, and more spin.