PDA

View Full Version : s/v rackets?

modernfuturist
01-29-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm a 4.0 s/v high school player. Currently using a Prince Tour Diablo MP, think it's okay but I would like some other suggestions of better volleying rackets.

Played with a head pt tour 280 before, liked the feel and control, but couldn't get enough punch on my volleys and serves, and couldn't handle the weight. I can get my hands on a few Prince TT rebel's for cheap, but would this be a downgrade?

louis netman
01-29-2006, 06:01 PM
get the Slaz X1....awesome S/V, CH/CH stick...hits biting low slice with ease, serves on a dime flat, spin, kick, peircing volleys with eyes closed.....also has margin for customization..., however has begun to hurt my tender arm....you should be fine with it...This post is not intended to be a sales pitch: I have some if you're interested in trading, etc. michaelm101@sbcglobal.net

vkartikv
01-29-2006, 06:06 PM
The TT Warrior MP is the best option. Good punch on first serves and extreme kicks on the second, only 11.5 oz. strung (approx.) and great for slices. the best part is it is so inexpensive!

jonolau
01-29-2006, 06:17 PM
modernfuturist, give the Volkl 10 series a shot (particularly the Tour 10 V-Engine Mid or C10 Pro MP). These are great sticks and can consistently hit huge flat serves with it, and need be, can get great kick serves and spin wide serves off this racquet. Control is excellent at the net, and can generate tremendous amount of topspin on groundies and hit huge flat bombs.

vkartikv
01-29-2006, 06:24 PM
modernfuturist, give the Volkl 10 series a shot (particularly the Tour 10 V-Engine Mid or C10 Pro MP). These are great sticks and can consistently hit huge flat serves with it, and need be, can get great kick serves and spin wide serves off this racquet. Control is excellent at the net, and can generate tremendous amount of topspin on groundies and hit huge flat bombs.

Do you think it would be easy to transition from the diablo mp to the tour 10 mid?

jonolau
01-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Do you think it would be easy to transition from the diablo mp to the tour 10 mid?
Good question, vkartikv. That is why I also suggested the C10 Pro which would be an easier transition. But you'd be surprised how easy it is to play with the T10VE mid, it's all a matter of crossing the psychological barrier of using a mid sized frame. Due to it's 18x20 string pattern, the mid has a longer sweetspot and is a thrill to play with because it does things you'd never expect from a racquet with such a dense pattern.

Looking at modernfuturist's post, he's looking for the following:

1. Feel - nothing comes closer to a Volkl on feel. You can get feedback on strokes without the unpleasant vibrations. Volkls have solid and smooth feel.
2. Control - Coupled with a soft aramid (Gamma TNT Extreme Spin 19), I can get great control on serves, volleys and slices.
3. Punch on Volleys - the flex on Volkls give get confidence when pushing volleys.
4. Punch on Serve - Though not hugely powerful on paper, Volkls can give surprising amount of power with deep flat serves when hit in the flexible upper hoop.

These are my personal opinions and also observations from other users.

vkartikv
01-29-2006, 07:22 PM
jonolau, I had suggested the warrior mp because it looks easier on paper and he is also used to the prince handles. when i tried the c10 pro, i loved it but it took a while to get used to the handle, especially when switching grips between groundstrokes and volleys. but aside from that, i totally agree about the feel part.

devilish_duke
01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
The Prince NXG OS is a good option. It's bigger head and extended length should give you more "umph" on the volleys.

TripleB
01-30-2006, 04:01 AM
I would say the Prince Triple Threat Warrior Midplus or if you would like to try a long body the Yonex Nano Speed RQ7 serves well and volleys well. Not sure about the serve and volley with either because I seldom SandV.

TripleB

joe1987
01-30-2006, 04:07 AM
warrior mp, slaz X1, radicals?(gd balance of power and mobility IMOH)

BLiND
01-30-2006, 04:57 AM
Even though I am not a S&V I would say the Slaz X1 would be at the top of my list... good power, low swingweight, good spin... muted feel, maybe try a leather grip.