PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Tennis Quotes

Applez
01-29-2006, 09:16 PM
"You have to put him as the best player in the world. Level wise, it is very difficult to say if it is Pete Sampras or Rod Laver. They won a lot of majors. Or Bjorn Borg, for that matter. But if you talk about the level that Pete Sampras played at, I would have to say that, when he played well there was no way Roger Federer would have beaten him. Not yet!"
-- Mats Wilander on Pete Sampras.

"Roger Federer has a physical and mental advantage over everybody. He's doing to tennis what Tiger Woods did to golf a few years ago. He is making us all improve."
-- Andy Roddick.

"Lleyton cheers for other people's mistakes and is very aggressive. It is very difficult not to feel provoked. But as a person, I would rather not win a single tournament than be like Lleyton."
-- Guillermo Coria on Lleyton Hewitt.

"If I play, it will be for one reason: my fans."
-- Justine Henin-Hardenne, indicating she could be bothered to represent Belgium in the Fed Cup competition in 2006.

156MPHserve
01-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I saw the 2nd and the 3rd, but the 1st and the 4th were GREAT. Nice finds...so ironic.

Applez
01-29-2006, 09:29 PM
"It was a very slow serve, and a lot of double faults. Sometimes it was amazing. I just tried to stay focused on myself." -- Justine Henin-Hardenne, holding back laughter, on the Anna Kournikova serve

"All I want is to have fun in what I'm doing every day. I don't want to break records. To become the greatest player ever could take me like...10 more years and I don't think I'll still be playing at 31." -- Serena Williams on pressure to become the greatest.

"Stop talking about a comeback. You have to understand I really appreciate my new way of life...I am 22 years old and I have my whole life ahead of me. The only thing I can no longer do is to train in a way as to remain competitive." -- The testy Martina Hingis on retiring from tennis.

"I'm not sure whether I'm the greatest, but I'm one of them. Just like Court, Chris Evert, Billie-Jean King or Maureen Connolly. Also, Monica Seles can be considered the greatest ever, it's not only the number of years, it's the quality", Martina Navratilova

AndyC
01-30-2006, 01:28 AM
http://www.goranonline.com/gi_quotes.html

Can't beat Goran when it comes to quotes

GS
01-30-2006, 02:19 AM
"80 percent of the women on the WTA tour are fat, lazy pigs. I'm sorry, I was wrong in saying that. It's 85 percent."--Richard Krajicek.
"Michelob---because so much is riding on your tires."--Cliff Drysdale.

Applez
01-30-2006, 10:40 AM
"Forget about tennis, I was scared to open my mouth. I didn't even feel worthy of saying something and not sounding stupid...People want to hear what I have to say and respect what I say."
-- Jennifer Capriati on her early days on tour. And you feel worthy now?

vicnan
01-30-2006, 11:13 AM

Thanks, mate! I laughed so much my co-workers stopped by to find out..

Andres
01-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Goran is simply the best... ever! :mrgreen:

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I like those the most:

"There are hundreds like her in the States."
(Tracy Austin, Filderstadt, Oktober 1982, on Steffi Graf)

Graf became the greatest woman player ever, Austin lost her next match against Graf 0-6 0-6.

"Believe me, it will be damned difficult for Steffi. She is not as strong as in 1987 anymore. I got the feeling somehow that she can't cope with the huge pressure."
(Martina Navratilova, Amelia Island, April 1988, on Steffi Graf)

Graf went on the win the Golden Grand Slam in 1988, humiliating Navratilova in Wimbledon.

"It's a faster, more athletic game. She is old now. ... Her time has passed."
(Martina Hingis, in "Tennis Magazine", July 1998, on Steffi Graf)

Graf broke Hingis' heart forever at Roland Garros one year later.

AeonT
01-30-2006, 11:51 AM
One of my favs and definitely very true.

Chris Evert: "[Monica] then really got cheated out of a lot of Grand Slams. She was really dominating women's tennis, dominating Steffi Graf. As I said before, she won seven out of eight Grand Slams and then got stabbed and was out for 27 months. Her assailant got his wish, that Steffi Graf be Number One, and sure enough, Steffi regained the Number One position when Monica was out of the game. So he got his wish."

Dick Enberg: "Who knows how many titles she would own had she remained in full health?"

Chris Evert: "Well, a lot more than nine Grand Slams, I'll tell you that. That's so not fair, when you look at Steffi's 21 (22) and Monica's nine, it's very unbalanced, and it shouldn't be."

AeonT
01-30-2006, 11:52 AM
"It was a very slow serve, and a lot of double faults. Sometimes it was amazing. I just tried to stay focused on myself." -- Justine Henin-Hardenne, holding back laughter, on the Anna Kournikova serve

"All I want is to have fun in what I'm doing every day. I don't want to break records. To become the greatest player ever could take me like...10 more years and I don't think I'll still be playing at 31." -- Serena Williams on pressure to become the greatest.

"Stop talking about a comeback. You have to understand I really appreciate my new way of life...I am 22 years old and I have my whole life ahead of me. The only thing I can no longer do is to train in a way as to remain competitive." -- The testy Martina Hingis on retiring from tennis.

"I'm not sure whether I'm the greatest, but I'm one of them. Just like Court, Chris Evert, Billie-Jean King or Maureen Connolly. Also, Monica Seles can be considered the greatest ever, it's not only the number of years, it's the quality", Martina Navratilova

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
This is the fake ....

... and that the original quote:

"What's true is that there is a definite group of great players, and she's in it, and I'm in it. Chris is there, and Billie Jean, and Margaret Court. But I can't pick between myself and Steffi."
(Martina Navratilova, New York Times, August 18, 1999, on herself and Steffi Graf)

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 12:07 PM
This one is great also:

"There's not one girl I see playing - I don't care if her name is
Martina Hingis, Venus Williams or Serena Williams - who'll be what
Graf was. Steffi was a thoroughbred running and the rest are mules."
(Richard Williams)

Michael Haller
01-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Another great quote:

"Steffi is definitely the greatest women's player of all time."
(Billie Jean King, 1999)

Nalbandian
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
This is the fake ....

... and that the original quote:

"What's true is that there is a definite group of great players, and ?she's in it, and I'm in it. Chris is there, and Billie Jean, and ?Margaret Court. But I can't pick between myself and Steffi."
(Martina Navratilova, New York Times, August 18, 1999, on herself and Steffi Graf)

Are now you resort to CHEATING AND FABRICATING? You are SICK!

Shabazza
01-30-2006, 12:11 PM
It's interesting to see, how fast every thread is becoming a stupid, pathetic Seles-Graf slugfest - a disgrace to both player as well as their fans!

Nalbandian
01-30-2006, 12:13 PM
It's interesting to see, how fast every thread is becoming a stupid, pathetic Seles-Graf slugfest - a disgrace to both player as well as their fans!

Don't worry, This twisted Joe Pike aka Michael Haller will soon get banned.

AeonT
01-30-2006, 12:19 PM
1993 Australian Open Final

Mary Carillo: "Monica also says that she never watches matches of herself play, and I think that is absolute genius. Because if she saw what she did, as she does in this point – a full-bodied swing from half-court for a winner – if she saw that, if she watched any video of her own thing, I think she'd look at the screen and go, 'AAAAAAAACK! What am I doing?! How could I try that?!' "

Cliff Drysdale: "Seles played fifteen tournaments last year, she won ten of them, she played four Finals [of those she didn't win]…Tremendous record, tremendous consistency from Monica Seles. Number one player in the world, and yet she's not that far in front of Steffi Graf."

Mary Carillo: "Well, she should be, Cliff. That's just the ranking system. I mean, even Steffi admits that…Each system is flawed, both the ATP and the women's side, they try very hard to get the ranking system right. But you can't tell me that a woman who's won three out of the four grand slams in each of the last two years should be in danger of losing her Number One spot, that's ridiculous!"

Cliff Drysdale: "You got that right! No question!"

Mary Carillo: "It should be very difficult to become Number One in the world, and it should be very difficult to lose that spot, too. And I think these rankings don't really reflect that."

Mary Carillo: "That was a 92-mile-an-hour serve from Steffi, and I'd like to have gotten the radar on the return of serve. It was stronger."

Cliff Drysdale: "Graf has won eleven grand slam championships."

Mary Carillo: "Seles has played 20 less but she's already won seven of them."

Mary Carillo: "How much can you say about this woman? She is a remarkable - she has that remarkable instinct, when under the gun, when under pressure, to attack. She's got the instincts of a doberman. You know, when confronted, she attacks. It's the natural thing for her to do. I just, as I say, I've never seen her like before. I've seen great players, obviously, great champions. But time and again we've seen Monica in trouble, we've seen her play less than her best tennis, and in the end, I mean, she just basically says, 'All right, gimme the ball, gimme the ball.' And she hits winners. It's great stuff."

Mary Carillo: "[Steffi's] actually playing better than when she played in '88 and won the Grand Slam. Everyone acts as though 'Well, you know, she's got to get it back, she's got to get it back.' I actually feel that Steffi has added a lot to her game. She's a better defensive player. She's got a better first serve than she used to. I think her slice backhand really works well. I mean, I happen to think that she's a better player than she was a few years ago, but she's facing an opponent that is just remarkable, and I think that's why she doesn't have the Grand Slams titles we're used to seeing from her."

Dedans Penthouse
01-30-2006, 01:16 PM
"Andre? Who is this reincarnated Joe Pike stalker, Michael Haller? And why is he so obsessed with hijacking every other thread with obsessive tomes about me and my career?"

---Steffi Graf

kosmikgroove
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Martina Hingis to Davenport After winning the Coin Toss:
"Do you want me to break you first or to hold serve first?"

(btw this isn't EXACTLY what she said, but im having trouble finding the exact quote)

Applez
01-30-2006, 08:13 PM
“Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in an atmosphere of total tranquillity.” Billie Jean King

I love this quote

156MPHserve
01-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Martina Hingis to Davenport After winning the Coin Toss:
"Do you want me to break you first or to hold serve first?"

(btw this isn't EXACTLY what she said, but im having trouble finding the exact quote)

OUCHHH!!!

and those Goran quotes are GOLD.

Nalbandian
01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
"Andre? Who is this reincarnated Joe Pike stalker, Michael Haller? And why is he so obsessed with hijacking every other thread with obsessive tomes about me and my career?"
---Steffi Graf

Good One Dedans. LOL This Pike Guy is a lunatic.

EmGee
01-31-2006, 04:23 AM
'was just reading through Hingis's comments in this year's AO:

On supporters: "...they're fans and supporters. I've missed that for three years. I didn't have it. So sometimes in Switzerland there is some cows watching, so that's not the same."

On learning something not-quite new: "Speed is important."

On getting the racquets to compensate her alleged-puffball serves (?!): "I always tell Yonex, "Come on, I need more power."

On giving up: "You think I'm just going to give up right now when I'm playing 6‑4 against Kim Clijsters, or what? "

Applez
01-31-2006, 10:35 AM
"Maybe I was a bit scared of him. Maybe I didn't really believe it. Things were happening so fast."
-- Marcos Baghdatis after losing to Roger Federer in the Australian Open final.

"But Henin-Hardenne, the champ here in 2004, holder of four major titles and destined for the Hall of Fame, walked. She walked away with $458,500, which ought to buy a lot of upset-stomach relief, leaving a bad taste and a blot on the game. In a word she was unprofessional, especially with 15,452 in the stands and a worldwide TV audience eavesdropping."
-- Bud Collins writing for the Boston Globe.

Applez
01-31-2006, 04:11 PM
"I have a very strong opinion. I'm absolutely against it. I'm against the challenge system. I'm for the way it is right now. Don't change that."
-- Roger Federer on allowing players to challenge calls using a video replay system.

Rodeo
02-02-2006, 07:35 PM
"When Seles plays her best Tennis, she is unbeatable. She would crawl over broken glass to have success" Ion Tiriac, 1991

"The only question in women's Tennis this year is like last year's: Will Monica Seles win Wimbledon?", British Tennis Magazine, 1993

:D

freelans
02-02-2006, 09:04 PM

'It is like a good car. If you do not put oil in the engine blows. I have to put some oil in now so that I can serve.'
~Goran on his sore shoulder

'I cannot cheer anybody now, I can only kill myself.'
Said Goran Ivanisevic, facetiously, after his Wimbledon loss on whether he will go to France to cheer for croatia in the World Cup semifinals.

LMFAO !!!
:mrgreen:

freelans
02-02-2006, 09:08 PM

I wouldn't want to go to a sports psychiatrist, because when you're finished, you come out more crazy than you go in.' 'I still break racquets, but now I do it in a positive way.'

Q. How is your elbow?
Goran: It's still here.
~Lipton 1994 Interview

OMG this guy is comedy genius.

freelans
02-02-2006, 09:11 PM
'I think it's interesting, you have three movies in one match: horror, comedy, drama. It's fun. I enjoy it. I am like that. I don't like to change. And if I could choose, I would be the same again. just me, and I like who I am.'

I'm now a Goran fan.

AndyC
02-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Goran :). There is something about Goran that makes me believe that there's always a cloud with a silver lining around the corner!

"First time I crossed myself (in semifinal against Henman) was on match
point. I say 'God, if I miss first serve I going to hit big second serve,
and please be good.

"So then I hit that but it's not so good. Okay, no problem, maybe God is on
a lunch break and didn't see me," he smiled.

"But I think it is only because of God I am in the final. He just gave me
another chance. He say 'Man, you were so annoying always asking another
chance, so okay I give another chance'.

"I guess God wanted it this way.

Wimbledon 2001 has left me with quite a few memories. Here's another one with an interesting quote from Mac.

BBC is showing a two-game stretch in which Moya won a game all aces and
service winners in 45 seconds, followed by Ivanisevic winning a game all
aces and service winners in 43 seconds.

"Is this entertaining?" John Inverdale asked McEnroe.

"Have you seen paint dry recently?"

Yes it wasn't always entertaining tennis but emotionally it was a roller-coaster ride especially for us Goran supporters.

Nalbandian
02-03-2006, 10:54 AM

Mary Carillo: "Monica also says that she never watches matches of herself play, and I think that is absolute genius. Because if she saw what she did, as she does in this point – a full-bodied swing from half-court for a winner – if she saw that, if she watched any video of her own thing, I think she'd look at the screen and go, 'AAAAAAAACK! What am I doing?! How could I try that?!' "

Cliff Drysdale: "Seles played fifteen tournaments last year, she won ten of them, she played four Finals [of those she didn't win]…Tremendous record, tremendous consistency from Monica Seles. Number one player in the world, and yet she's not that far in front of Steffi Graf."

Mary Carillo: "Well, she should be, Cliff. That's just the ranking system. I mean, even Steffi admits that…Each system is flawed, both the ATP and the women's side, they try very hard to get the ranking system right. But you can't tell me that a woman who's won three out of the four grand slams in each of the last two years should be in danger of losing her Number One spot, that's ridiculous!"

Cliff Drysdale: "You got that right! No question!"

Mary Carillo: "It should be very difficult to become Number One in the world, and it should be very difficult to lose that spot, too. And I think these rankings don't really reflect that."

Mary Carillo: "That was a 92-mile-an-hour serve from Steffi, and I'd like to have gotten the radar on the return of serve. It was stronger."

Cliff Drysdale: "Graf has won eleven grand slam championships."

Mary Carillo: "Seles has played 20 less but she's already won seven of them."

Mary Carillo: "How much can you say about this woman? She is a remarkable - she has that remarkable instinct, when under the gun, when under pressure, to attack. She's got the instincts of a doberman. You know, when confronted, she attacks. It's the natural thing for her to do. I just, as I say, I've never seen her like before. I've seen great players, obviously, great champions. But time and again we've seen Monica in trouble, we've seen her play less than her best tennis, and in the end, I mean, she just basically says, 'All right, gimme the ball, gimme the ball.' And she hits winners. It's great stuff."

Mary Carillo: "[Steffi's] actually playing better than when she played in '88 and won the Grand Slam. Everyone acts as though 'Well, you know, she's got to get it back, she's got to get it back.' I actually feel that Steffi has added a lot to her game. She's a better defensive player. She's got a better first serve than she used to. I think her slice backhand really works well. I mean, I happen to think that she's a better player than she was a few years ago, but she's facing an opponent that is just remarkable, and I think that's why she doesn't have the Grand Slams titles we're used to seeing from her."

Great quotes aeon...I've never seen this before...

Nalbandian
02-03-2006, 11:05 AM

Good ones... LMAO...